Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2007, 08:43 AM   #1

Question Are BOXSTERS REALLY THIS TROUBLESOME

I just bought my boxster and joined this forum a few weeks ago. I enjoy reading it, however I'm starting to get the feeling that boxsters arent well built due to all the problems that are discussed here. From electrical problems, RMS leakage, multiple water leakage problems, etc. Should I be worried that I bought a boxster to begin with ?? I love the way it drives so far but now I'm waiting for the problems to start.

gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:01 AM   #2

The boxster is no more problematic than most other cars. Drive it, enjoy it. Having read about some problems that can occur gives you power; Be comforted you are better informed to recognize and fix any of these issues if they happen to you. Don't let the negatives prevent you from having fun.

I nearly did not buy mine for the same reason, but in the end I came to the above realization and have not looked back. $0.02

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:17 AM   #3

I to felt this way at first. But after having the car for over 1 year now and having bought it used, the only problem was the RMS leak which I had fixed and it has NOT come back since. If you keep up with the maintenance you should be fine. As for my RMS issue, there really is no telling what the previous owner did as far as maintaining goes. I love my car and have had no other issues with it at all. Some people just don't take care of their cars and some times people just get a bad one from the start. I would like to say that if you keep your boxster in a garage you will less likely have water issues too.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:19 AM   #4

40K miles on my BoxsterS

non-maintenance repairs to date (with labor)

1. throttle body $300
2. one O2 sensor $150
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:39 AM   #5

Bought mine new 4 rys ago...0 problems, never been back to the dealership since I drove it off the lot. Oh wait, yeah the clutch pedal squeaks..oh well
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:06 AM   #6

I have not had good luck, however all of the cost so far has been picked up via extended warranty. When people ask me this question, my response is always: It is a car, things break and need to be repaired just like any other car, however it is generally more expensive to repair than a Ford( or insert other "normal" make car here.)
Old 09-21-2007, 10:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmboxster
I just bought my boxster and joined this forum a few weeks ago. I enjoy reading it, however I'm starting to get the feeling that boxsters arent well built due to all the problems that are discussed here. From electrical problems, RMS leakage, multiple water leakage problems, etc. Should I be worried that I bought a boxster to begin with ?? I love the way it drives so far but now I'm waiting for the problems to start.

Car Forums give that impression. Nobody posts, "My car was trouble free today, should I be happy? Oh, and by the way, it was trouble free yesterday and for several days prior to that, any advice?"

Anything with moving parts will need maintenance, do Boxsters require more than other cars? I don't think so. When they do, does it cost more? You bet your $700 foot-well lighting it does!
BoxsterBob - CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterBob - CA
Car Forums give that impression. Nobody posts, "My car was trouble free today, should I be happy? Oh, and by the way, it was trouble free yesterday and for several days prior to that, any advice?"
Agreed. Information on car forums (and I participate in several) must be taken in context.

First, nearly even one that participates is an enthusiast. Why else would you participate on a car forum? Given this, we probably are more aware (critical) and take a greater interest in our vehicles. Thus, a lot of minor issues are discussed at a level that gives them a greater spotlight.

Second, as Bob stated, typically no one posts their trouble free days here. That would be silly. However, we may post about truly enjoyable track days, drives, etc. that were enhanced because of the car.

Third, it is a car. Things do happen. However, the severity and frequency of issues must be kept in mind, many are more nuissances than anything truly serious - including the notorious RMS.

The Boxster is not only a terrific sports car, it's a terrific car period. So congratulations! Don't worry about it. Get out and enjoy it!

"It is better to enter a corner slow, and come out fast, than to enter a corner fast, and come out dead." - Sir Stirling Moss

Last edited by J-RAD; 09-24-2007 at 07:03 PM.
J-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:20 PM   #9

Every car has its own problems. There is no flawless car. Every car forum talks about its own problems. For example, I came from Z3 and E36 M3 forums since I owned them. You can read Z3 owners writing about subframe failure all day. E36 M3 owners crying about misshifting and blew their motor...
Old 09-21-2007, 09:31 PM   #10
boxsterz

It's mostly perception. For every problem posted, there are probably 10's or hundreds of cars in the woodwork that have no problems. Like the RMS seal. I have 46k and no leaking (does look very very slightly wet though ). I'll replace it when the clutch slips.

Don't be scared. Enjoy the car. The design flaw risks are well worth the rewards of driving it.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:39 PM   #11
pk2

Quote:
Don’t fret,

People like myself turn here in desperation, that’s probably why you’ve got the impressions you have. Take a walk through any Porsche shop and you’d probably walk with the same conclusion, these are all hosed, wears my Camary.

These things are pretty good, but can be expensive to maintain. It’s Also fun here to check items of interest that might be an issue for you in the future. Or you can pipe in with your 2 cents.

Relax, enjoy, PK
pk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:48 PM   #12

Quote:

I just bought my used 03' Box two weeks ago and I felt the same as you. However I have been educating myself of all the known problems the Box could manifest so I know what to look for and also when it does happen I won't be caught by surprised. I also just received my Bentley service manual I ordered last week, and I will be studying that to learn more about the parts of the car.

So far the car drives great, looks great and I really enjoy driving it! I find myself thinking up a longer route with less possible traffic to drive when I do take it out. Also I have been going out to dinner more often in the past two weeks cuz every night I want to drive it and dinner is a good excuse to take it out with the wife
Old 09-21-2007, 10:51 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
yeah don't worry too much about it.
once something goes bad with any of our cars, we post about it, and most of the time figure out the problem.
like stated above, we don't post when the cars are doing great every day, so all the posts are regarding some 'problems'
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
y
like stated above, we don't post when the cars are doing great every day
Yes, but the intimidation is that we see alot of the same problem repeated thread after thread (even on Renntech.org). So that makes me think it will sooner or later happen to me too. It becomes not a matter of "IF" , but "WHEN" that cause the worrying.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:32 AM   #15

I think the RMS problem is a legit issue. Made worse because there is no statement coming out of Porsche. There seems to be 4 or 5 generations of "fixes" out so far but the problem seems to be other than the seal. Crankshaft oscillation making most sense to me.

We as enthusiasts, respect engineering. Flaws nagg us.

My '04 doesn't leak. If it did I probably wouldn't like it as much since there is no definitive solution. I haven't heard how well the Cayenne "style" rms is holding up.

My '01 Harley is an old tech marvel. It doesn't leak and likely won't. Cheap to fix and is bulletproof.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:54 AM   #16

Smile

I had several issues with my 02 S, when I purchased it in April of this year. Most were from the previous owner not maintaining the car the way it should have been. I had to replace the rear axles because the rubber boots covering the CV joints were not coated with silicone on a regular basis. A new top, due anyway since it was five years old and new tires.
But it's all worth it. The car runs great and is a joy to drive. It fits my definition of a sports car. You're smiling when you walk up to it; you're smiling when you're driving it; and you're smiling when you're walking away from it and turn to take that one last look. Happy Driving.
Tom Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 07:24 AM   #17

I had a great trouble-free day yesterday. knock wood. attacked some twisties. opened her up in third on the freeway. ah, it was good times.
humara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 03:41 PM   #18

Wink First long trip

Took our first long trip from NY to PA on Wed. 2 1/2 hrs each way at 75 to 80 mph with a few short bursts above that while passing. Car ran great and got good mileage which was 26.5 mpg on the first half tank of gas which included trip on I-84 thru Pocono mtns. and a lot of driving twistys in PA with friend in his MX-5. We both had wives on board so car was at maximum weight. I love this car!!!!! Drive yours and enjoy.

AKL
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 04:37 PM   #19

When I first got my used Boxster, I also started to read about all the problems that they have. For the first month or 2 I was just waiting for the whole car to blow up and melt into a lump. 10K miles later and a MAF I realize that maintenance and no Moronic over revs and the car is as good , if not better , than any other performance car. If you want bulletproof get a Miata and pretend. Ed
PS I like Miatas, but.
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 05:36 PM   #20
Porscheectomy

My Boxster was just sitting in the garage when the rear window cracked from a stiff breeze, which set off the horn. The strong noise from the horn jarred the RMS open, which started leaking like crazy. At that point, the faulty MAF shorted against itself and the car burst into flames.

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote