Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2007, 06:14 PM   #1

Tranny Fluid Change. Anyone done it themselves?

I am going to change my gear oil fluid in the morning. Anyone have any pointers or tips on this?

Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:43 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
-The old tranny fluid smells HORRIBLE!

-Use Redline MT-90 on the 5-spd,I have and love it.

-Pick up a small little pump that you could use to fill the new fluid in the fill whole. The fill whole area is small and narrow and a b1tch to get the fluid in otherwise.

-Give the fluid a couple of drives to 'settle',it should feel a little smoother some miles are put on it.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:52 AM   #3
bmussatti

I have heard great things about the Red Line too, like Blinkwatt said. Other forum members have used it here, and report very good results. I plan to use the Red Line when my 987 requires this service in the coming years.

Check out Red Lines web site, and call them for the recommended stuff. They also have a NS version:

www.redlineoil.com
Old 09-06-2007, 07:21 AM   #4

also make sure you have the right tool for the drain plug. it's a triple square with a hole in the middle.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:23 PM   #5

Didn't notice much difference if any when I switched over to the redline a month ago, but I have faith in the product (I use it in my primary autocross car).

I use this hand pump(you may have to enter your zip code to see it), it fits perfectly in the opening of the redline bottle.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote