Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2007, 04:12 PM   #1

Question Early to '02 vs. '03/04 side vents

I am wondering if the side vents on the '03/04 models will fit my '02 without modification? They certainly look the same size but wonder about the top mounting screw and if there are any internal changes that would negate them for a hack? If anyone has an '03 or '04, could you see if it is a bear to remove the vents? I imagine internal cleaning and desnorking would be a lot easier if you only had to back out one screw and not have to fiddle with the strakes like on my '02 model. Any insight on this out there?

Old age wants to know....

AKL

Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:42 AM   #2

I have an '03 and I tried taking out the side vent the other day to desnorkel and I was unable to. I took out the screw but when i tried to remove the whole vent i was scared that i was going to break or crack it since it was not coming out easily. I tried pushing in first and tried pulling one side at a time but no luck. Hopefully someone else can help us both out!
Pat1USMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:06 PM   #3

I took my side vent off to have the body shop use it to color match my gemballa kit. Just take the screw out and try to pry it out. it comes out. but watch for a plastic clip on the side because it flexes and loops into the holder. you can use a finger to slide it out. there are two other metal clips on the top and bottom that slide out. All in all dont worry pull it out towards you. the plastic vent slits are separate and if you screw up worst comes to worst that would break which shouldnt be costly.
Gemballa front bumper/Aerokit I Sideskirts/H&R suspension/997 short shift/Schnell front&rear strut brace/Aluminum pedals and floor board//Traffic pro/Console Delete//LED exterior lighting//Exclusive Options Full Leather/19inch Ruf Wheels/European rear bumper with 550 mesh/Zientec spoiler/IPD Plenum//Cold Air Intake/Hardtop/Speedster Humps
Stunin_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:22 AM   #4

'02 vs '03/04

Stunin, your Boxcar is an '01, mine an '02. What I need to know is if the later '03/04 will replace the earlier vents as they have the vanes included and not separate like ours. When removing the later ones you won't have to fiddle with the interior vanes and of course risk breaking them. Also I am somewhat more fond of the '03 over my '02. Thanks for your input anyway.

AKL
Old 09-03-2007, 06:41 AM   #5
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
You can easily put the 03-04 side intake vents/duct on your pre-03 model Boxster. It will fit without any issues. You do, however, need to have a bodyshop paint the 03-04 intake ducts because they come unpainted from the dealer parts dept.

To remove yours, just search for the instructions by doing an archive search on this board or ppbb for "desnork", and I'm sure you'll be able to find the link to the instructions.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:35 AM   #6

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
You can easily put the 03-04 side intake vents/duct on your pre-03 model Boxster. It will fit without any issues. You do, however, need to have a bodyshop paint the 03-04 intake ducts because they come unpainted from the dealer parts dept.

To remove yours, just search for the instructions by doing an archive search on this board or ppbb for "desnork", and I'm sure you'll be able to find the link to the instructions.

Thanks Boxtaboy, That is what I was looking for. I figured I would have to have them painted so that expense is anticipated. Do you happen to know what a set of '03 vents would run?

AKL
Old 09-03-2007, 10:48 AM   #7
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
Thanks Boxtaboy, That is what I was looking for. I figured I would have to have them painted so that expense is anticipated. Do you happen to know what a set of '03 vents would run?

AKL
AKL, for pricing, check with www.sunsetporsche.com. Send them an e-mail or give them a call tomorrow morning.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:34 PM   #8

I did it to mine, just a part on each side, I think it was about $140 or so from sunset plus paint.
Or you can just buy my Boxster

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:58 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
I did it to mine, just a part on each side, I think it was about $140 or so from sunset plus paint.
Or you can just buy my Boxster
Was that $140 for both or each?
Old 09-03-2007, 05:00 PM   #10

Allen,

Sorry I missed your question earlier. I have the later style vents. No modification necessary. Just take yours out and put these in.

...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:36 PM   #11

[QUOTE=Grizzly]Allen,

Sorry I missed your question earlier. I have the later style vents. No modification necessary. Just take yours out and put these in.

Thanks Griz, and I take it there were no issues in mounting the new vents? Seems like they should have some kind of tab or whatever on the bottom to fit then push in place and secure with top screw.

As an aside, wife and I just returned from going down town to have a vino confuso at the Stazione in New Paltz. As we pulled in a couple in a black Boxster were just getting out of their machine and when we came out a Ford GT40 in black was parked out front. Quite a treat to say nothing of the vino!

AKL
Old 09-03-2007, 07:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Was that $140 for both or each?
I think it was about 140 for both, I did it about 2 years ago.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote