Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
boxsterz

what are the chances

I'm blasting through my favorite National Park after midnight, and I usually see maybe 2 cars on the whole trip, Usually trucks. About 4 deer, and 2 or 3 field mice darting around and an occasional Fox/Raccoon thing.
Most deer don't have a clue I'm coming, the box is like an SR-71 to them. They don't notice me until I've passed them. Cats know better, their reflective eyes at the side of the road, wisely wait for me to buzz by.

My favorite switch backs are ahead, and coming out of a small town, I can't wait to stretch the boxster's legs and flex the chassis. 35mph signs are good for 60. All is feeling great, and then... I spot some tail lights. Oh great, he's going to spoil my run! Oh what the hey, I tone down my driving as I don't want to rush up on him in a blind section and rear end the guy. I'm making time on him, but I notice he's going at a good clip too

I start to reel him in. A few more turns, I can now ID the car. It's a dark grey Pontiac Solstice! His top is up, so I can't be sure it's a guy, but what other nut is out in the wee hours of the night blasting mountain roads? We're both s-ing our way along treelines on one side, rock walls on the other. It feels like a roller coaster, only there's not a whole lot of room for error. I double check my PSM is on. As I ponder, wondering how good this Solstice driver is, and if he has stability control. Right then, he makes a moderately hard turn off. He lets me go by. I'm thinking good, we'll see what a PS can do, wonder if it's the turbo model?

Guess I'll never know. He killed joy and didn't continue the train. I was so hoping he'd follow me, but it was probably for the best. I could still see his headlights now and then for a couple miles in my rear view mirror, but he didn't want anymore

Last edited by boxsterz; 08-25-2007 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:52 PM   #2
bmussatti

Good writting, Boxsterz!

He/she was a smart driver...for letting you pass...not so smart though for buying a Solstice.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:06 PM   #3

I was at the gas station and one pulled in today. Naturally I had a smirk on my face, but I gotta admit it didn't sound too bad at all actually.

http://i40.tinypic.com/ei6sns.jpg
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:40 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I actually considered a Solstice, but the trunk is too small. You might be able to fit two sweatshirts in the trunk and that is about it, no suitcases or anything.
Boxster's are just better!
Old 08-25-2007, 04:46 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
that car look nice, but once you get close, or sit inside one you can see just how cheap that looks and feels. go GM
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:32 PM   #6
boxsterz

what are the chances x2

Last night I make the same trek. Fog sets in at higher elevations, like phantoms out of nowhere, they come and then vanish. I slow to 15 mph at times. Painfully slow. Minutes earlier, I was doing triple digits. If I go off the side, no one would find me for days, maybe years. Not a time to mess around. I'm down to 10mph. Fog is blanket thick. And now I have to piss. Damn! Like a kid, I didn't have to go when the rest area was availible 8 miles back. Double damn!! I pull over to what I think is a viewpoint. I can't see the trees, cliff, drop off, or anything. I have 10ft visibilty. The fog it so thick I can't cut it with my 3D Maglite. It's like a white out everywhere I look. A bear bum-rushing me while I'm doing my business would suck, I'd have virtually no warning. Or maybe some crazy mountain man. I'm packin heat, but a feeling of paranoia comes over me. Scenes from old movies "The Hitcher", Friday the 13th, and The Fog flash through my mind. Jeez I drank a lot of pop! I can't wait till I'm done. Finally... Back in the car, I think, man I'm glad I'm not a girl

The fog is just too thick. I end my trip short and turn around. No more partly cloudy night drives up the mountains for me. On the bright side, I've still got my favorite section coming up near that small town I get to do again.

It's not late enough. I come upon more traffic. Closing on the tail lights ahead, I make out a dark... Grey..... Pontiac Solstice?! It is! He's going 5-10 over the speed limit instead of 20 like last time. I edge up on him for a closer look. It's got to be the same guy!! Wonder if he can ID his nemesis is the same boxster lol. I follow for a mile or so hoping he'd bust a move. He never does. We go our separate ways when we get into town. Does he live there or is he a nut like me and drives an hour out to "enjoy nature". I do a U-turn and hit my favorite switchbacks again Maybe next time.

Last edited by boxsterz; 09-07-2007 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:52 PM   #7
Track rat

Garage
Just watch out for Bambi when you are blazing through the forest in the wee hours. They tend to really leave a mess on the windshield when you tag em.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:52 AM   #8

Smile

The testosterone is really flowing on this thread.

Stick to the track for your speeding and live longer.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:52 AM   #9
boggtown

You know... we do have 2 trunks, that might be enough space to put 2 road blocks and 2 detour signs in there... Close the road...
Old 09-07-2007, 07:23 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
You know... we do have 2 trunks, that might be enough space to put 2 road blocks and 2 detour signs in there... Close the road...
and then a pizza delivery guy sees you driving fast and calls the cops fast and furious style
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 03:55 PM   #11
boxsterz

Being PC, I understand you have a certain responsibility.
Problem is can't get to the track often enough.

I'm more of a quality guy than quantity anyways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
The testosterone is really flowing on this thread.
Stick to the track for your speeding and live longer.