View Single Post
Old 08-25-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
boxsterz

what are the chances

I'm blasting through my favorite National Park after midnight, and I usually see maybe 2 cars on the whole trip, Usually trucks. About 4 deer, and 2 or 3 field mice darting around and an occasional Fox/Raccoon thing.
Most deer don't have a clue I'm coming, the box is like an SR-71 to them. They don't notice me until I've passed them. Cats know better, their reflective eyes at the side of the road, wisely wait for me to buzz by.

My favorite switch backs are ahead, and coming out of a small town, I can't wait to stretch the boxster's legs and flex the chassis. 35mph signs are good for 60. All is feeling great, and then... I spot some tail lights. Oh great, he's going to spoil my run! Oh what the hey, I tone down my driving as I don't want to rush up on him in a blind section and rear end the guy. I'm making time on him, but I notice he's going at a good clip too

I start to reel him in. A few more turns, I can now ID the car. It's a dark grey Pontiac Solstice! His top is up, so I can't be sure it's a guy, but what other nut is out in the wee hours of the night blasting mountain roads? We're both s-ing our way along treelines on one side, rock walls on the other. It feels like a roller coaster, only there's not a whole lot of room for error. I double check my PSM is on. As I ponder, wondering how good this Solstice driver is, and if he has stability control. Right then, he makes a moderately hard turn off. He lets me go by. I'm thinking good, we'll see what a PS can do, wonder if it's the turbo model?

Guess I'll never know. He killed joy and didn't continue the train. I was so hoping he'd follow me, but it was probably for the best. I could still see his headlights now and then for a couple miles in my rear view mirror, but he didn't want anymore

Last edited by boxsterz; 08-25-2007 at 12:53 PM.