Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2007, 12:53 PM   #1

Canadian Boxster Needs New Tires - Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season

Hello. Glad to be a part of this forum. Just picked up my first Porsche. 1999 Boxster. I need to get a new full set of tires. I ordered Goodyear Eagle F1's but i'm wondering if that is the best choice for my road conditions. I live in Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA. It is an everyday driver. No snow. No Track. Our roads are very rough especially after the harsh winters. KontiSportContact 2' were recommended and i beleive are certified. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by Chris_Craft; 09-02-2007 at 08:11 AM.
Chris_Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:42 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
If you want to save money w/ mild performance, Yokohama ES100.

Overpriced but good performance wise, Pirelli P-Zero Rossos.

Best-bang-for-the-buck performance wise according to reviews & feedback, Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Positions(I think these replaced the S-03 Pole Positions).

www.tirerack.com
Old 08-13-2007, 02:06 PM   #3

You'll get lots of opinions

And Yoko ES-100s would be my last choice. Noisy to the extreme, I got them off the car with half wear because I couldn't hear the radio with the top down.

First choice, Michelin Ribs, second choice Pirelli Russo. More $, more satisfaction.

I've had all 3 as well worn tires on Boxsters I've owned. The key to my recommendation is their performance when well worn. Of course new tires are going to feel better because you just bought them and have to self justify the purchase. And of course deep treads are going to be better in the rain. I's when they get worn down that matters to me because you spend more miles on them in that condition than you do new.

No experience with Contis.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:48 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to ultimate1 Send a message via Yahoo to ultimate1
I have the Bridgestone REO50A's and they are great tires for the money and stick to the road like glue even in the rain. If you want an all weather tire then I would recommend the Kumho Ecsta's. They are good tires as long as you dont try them in the snow. When I got my 2000 last year it had Kumho's on them and they were alright but your car will not feel very sporty. I replaced those tires with Bridgestones and I am stoked. I can put you in touch with the guy that I got my tires from. I bought a set of 4 Bridgestones for $400 including installation. PM me if you have an interest and I can put you in touch with him.
ultimate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:29 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate1
I can put you in touch with the guy that I got my tires from. I bought a set of 4 Bridgestones for $400 including installation. PM me if you have an interest and I can put you in touch with him.
What tires are $400 installed on a Boxster? You aren't running spares on all four corners are you?
Old 08-14-2007, 10:46 AM   #6

I had done a lot's of search, and for my everyday driving in Quebec, I opted for Eagle F1 too, they are very good in dry, and you won't see any difference when you'll get caught in rain..

take a look at the tire compare they done on tirerack. Eagle F1 what the no1
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:54 AM   #7

^ yep that's my tire. Very good in the rain. Cheaper than the Michelin and B'stone and just as good in the dry. But its not for use in cold or snow...no chance.
I use Pirelli Winter Snow Sports when the temps are regularly below 50. all season tires are useless in areas where it snows unexpectedly.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:11 PM   #8

Thanks. I think i will "stick" with the Eagle F1's. I will make sure to post my thoughts afterwards. BTW I noticed a company the inflates tires with Nitrogen, ever heard of that?
Old 08-14-2007, 04:40 PM   #9

Nitrogen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Craft
.... Nitrogen, ever heard of that?
Nitrogen?
Really?
Tell me more j/k

If you're in to marketing and green valve caps, you'll want your tires inflated w/ nothing but nitrogen...... otherwise, you can use a 78% nitrogen blend like the rest of us

Let the debates begin
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:38 AM   #10

euh.. wtf ?!?!?
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Craft
Hello. Glad to be a part of this forum. Just picked up my first Porsche. 1999 Boxster. I need to get a new full set of tires. I ordered Goodyear Eagle F1's but i'm wondering if that is the best choice for my road conditions. I live in Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA. It is an everyday driver. No snow. No Track. Our roads are very rough especially after the harsh winters. KontiSportContact 2' were recommended and i beleive are certified. Thanks for any advice.
Did you order the F1 All Seasons or the F1 GS-D3? If the GS-D3, be aware that Tirerack has the fronts listed as backorder. I ordered a set from Discount Tire, got the rears and am still waiting for the fronts. They don't seem to be available anywhere. On the other hand, the GS-D3s have gotten great reviews for both wet and dry conditions though, as Perfectlap noted, they're not considered to be good in the cold.

2000 Boxster S, Speed Yellow, Michelin AS/3 tires, 60,000 miles...
... and climbing.
OldBlevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
If you want to save money w/ mild performance, Yokohama ES100.

Overpriced but good performance wise, Pirelli P-Zero Rossos.

Best-bang-for-the-buck performance wise according to reviews & feedback, Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Positions(I think these replaced the S-03 Pole Positions).

www.tirerack.com

2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:05 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to ultimate1 Send a message via Yahoo to ultimate1
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
What tires are $400 installed on a Boxster? You aren't running spares on all four corners are you?
They are brand spankin new tires. Bridgestone just added the Pole Position name to their REO50A tires for marketing purposes. The tire guy I deal with got the REO50A's at closeout prices a few months ago and I got them thats right for $400 installed. The only difference is that they don't say pole position on them. Tire Rack just had the front tires at that time for something like $90 or so. Oscar had the fronts and the rears for my 17 inch rims. He had like 16 sets of Boxster tires and I shared that info a few months ago on here. He does mail order as well to pretty much anywhere.

No Spares dude. I had a hard time believing it myself when he told me this over the phone. When I got there it was as advertised.
ultimate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:00 PM   #14

Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season

Well my Goodyear Eagle F1 Fronts never did show up after 2.5 weeks. My guy said he had the new F1 All Seasons in stock so i decided to go with them (i would have gone with Flinstone tires if they were in stock, not too many nice days left). I was thinking the F1's may have been too high performace for our poor road conditions here in Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA. I am glad i went with the F1 All Seasons. There are a nice looking tire. I am not an expert at all, this is my first Porsche and all i have to compare to are the worn down Michelin Pilots Sports that were on the car when i bought it. The Eagle F1 All Seasons so far are a smooth, quiet and comfortable tire. I am pleased.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:25 PM   #15

Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season Pics