Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2007, 07:32 AM   #1

My newest mod

After covering over 154000 miles I would say my seats did not look like the rest of my car. If you doubt it open up the attached pictures. All I can say is my seats where rough.

Swapping out the new to me seats was easier than I would think.

There are 4 E12 bolts holding the seats down, simply remove the bolts and unhook the wiring harness. But FIRST disconnect your battery otherwise you'll get an airbag light.

Hook up the wirring to the new seats and bolt them down. I did this by myself and had no issues at all, I was surprised how light the seats really are.

While under there I hacked my clutch switch and figured out why the switch only work when it wanted to.....my Loyd mats and aluminum pedals did not allow me to fully depress the clutch. But all is well now.

I dont know who you guys hacked the clutch pedal with the seats in...with them out it was still rough to get under there.

I guess my new mod will be me losing weight....around my gut.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:36 AM   #2

The new seats

A few pictures of my new seats and what a 150+ miles interior looks like.

As you see in the final picture my radio looks like hell in the car.
If anyone knows of a XM ready black single din head unit with amber illumination let me know.

Happy New Year.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:06 AM   #3

Excuse my ignorance but what's XM?
Chippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:18 AM   #4

XM satellite radio.
http://www.xmradio.com/onxm/index.xmc

Dont work for them or own stock, I just get tired of the 5 radio stations in Baton Rouge and I am too busy/lazy to do the Ipod thing.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:49 AM   #5

Nice job on the seat replacement. I did the same thing on a Miata and it was nice not to cringe every time I got in the car.

I'm planning to keep my Boxster for a while, and it's nice to see that a Boxster can make it to 154k.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:58 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Wow what an improvement. Those new seats look great.

That's the best high-mileage Boxster interior I've seen.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:15 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to craignyc Send a message via Yahoo to craignyc
just curious how much did you buy the seats for, they look slightly used.

Cayman S '06
Boxster 2.7 '01 Track Car
craignyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:20 AM   #8
blkboxster

awesome, new seats look great

Old 12-31-2007, 10:27 AM   #9

My newish seats (out of a lightly used 2002 996) really made me feel like I had a much newer boxster. You're gonna enjoy those seats!

Do them a favor and never leave the top down in the sun. They'll last a lot longer.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:55 AM   #10

I was glad to see how well the originals lasted for over 150K miles. I was concerned how my sand beige seats will last in my '06......I feel better now!
I was considering getting a race style seat for the driver's side in mine, mainly to keep the OEM seat like new, but I have a problem with messing up the looks of the beautiful interior.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:14 PM   #11

Good job. New seats look real nice, and the interior doesn't look shabby at all, no matter the miles.

It truly is good to see these high mileage boxsters - hopefully I'll be able to make mine run that long (on the same engine, I might add )
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:54 AM   #12

Hey Gary, Very Nice!! Bet it feels like a new car everytime you get in it now. Also glad to see your Box going strong at 150k +. Nice center console too. I have 95k and just did some nice upgrades. I'll probably keep mine forever.

Question, Did you have to do any major repairs before you reached 150?
Couper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by craignyc
just curious how much did you buy the seats for, they look slightly used.

I have not looked into brand new seats for the Boxster but used seats normally run 1400 plus shipping a set. I got this set from a board member who had a parts car. I paid 600 including shipping.

This set has a little wear on them, but for the price I dont care. I think there is at least 120k miles left in them!!

Thanks for all the compliments on the car. Its my daily driver. I do have a MGB i use one or two time a week during the spring and summer to go to work and the Porsche is not our family car, I guess it time to add a practicle 911 so the 3 year old can ride in the Porsche!!

Old 01-01-2008, 09:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couper1
Hey Gary, Very Nice!! Bet it feels like a new car everytime you get in it now. Also glad to see your Box going strong at 150k +. Nice center console too. I have 95k and just did some nice upgrades. I'll probably keep mine forever.

Question, Did you have to do any major repairs before you reached 150?
Repairs....just the standard
Alternator
Water Pump
Water overflow reservoir
Air Oil Seperator...later found out it was not the cause of my problem, so it did not have to be replaced.

When I had the clutch replaced in the low 100,000 mile area I replaced the RMS.
Coilovers now instead of the oem struts.

I change the oil every 10k miles, rev the engine near redline everyday, and I never go past 4k rpms until the engine is warmed all the way. Plus the most important thing is I drive it!!

These are solid built cars. As long as they are taken care of they will last. When I ride in a car that is not made like a porsche 70,000 or 80,000 miles and the car looks land drives like it is going to die.

Do your self a favor today. do what I am going to do...take your Porsche out (sorry guys up north) and DRIVE it....then go home and wash it.

Happy New Year.