Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2007, 03:16 PM   #1

Shifting into Neutral to Save Gas?

What do you all think of this:

My box is a tiptronic. Despite the auto-trans, my box has some pretty darn strong engine braking. (I am not used to this)

When coming to a spotlight or going down a hill, what do you all think of putting the car into neutral to eliminate engine braking and coast with less friction? Although it'll definetly save me some gas, is frequent "shifting" from drive to neutral going to cause premature wear and tear on the transmission?

Thoughts and comments?

JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:57 PM   #2
boxsterz

Just my 2¢...

I don't think it's worth it. My belief is that the auto tranny shifter was not designed to be shifted so frequently, otherwise it would be so noted in the owners manual. AFAIK, there is no car manufacturer that recommends this technique.

To my chagrin, my father and brother still do this, after debating it with them. To each their own.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL12
What do you all think of this:

My box is a tiptronic. Despite the auto-trans, my box has some pretty darn strong engine braking. (I am not used to this)

When coming to a spotlight or going down a hill, what do you all think of putting the car into neutral to eliminate engine braking and coast with less friction? Although it'll definetly save me some gas, is frequent "shifting" from drive to neutral going to cause premature wear and tear on the transmission?

Thoughts and comments?
Actually, it will not save you any gas. A little known fact about modern engine management systems is that they have the ability to cut off the fuel pulse entirely when coasting, such as a long downhill grade. Now, I'm not a Porsche mechanic, so I'm not 100% sure that Porsche does this, but I do know for a fact that most other manufacturers program their engine management systems to do this in order to raise their average fuel economy.

So the next time you're coasting down a hill, if you put your transmission into neutral, remember that you're forcing the computer to send fuel to your engine to keep it idling. If you were in gear instead, the fuel pulse may be shut off entirely by the engine management system, thus increasing your fuel economy.

If you doubt this, just do a little bit of research on the Internet and you'll discover it's true.
Even Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:32 PM   #4
bmussatti

Also from a safety perspective, it is best that you are in gear, in the event you need to avoid, or maneuver, around something.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:34 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Who SERIOULSY buys a Porsche thinking "Well it’s good on gas"???

Today I took my car to work with me just for fun.

I went to the bank, parked the car, left the Car & A/C running for 20mins, came back, drove to another bank, parked my car, left the Car & A/C running for about 35mins, then drove it back to my office. Shifted gears between 4-5.5k RPM every time.

When a car is this much fun, who cares about an extra 5MPG?

Maybe you should just buy a Prius and then shift that into neutral & turn off the engine while coasting.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:55 PM   #6

I'm looking to buy a boxster. This is one thing I noticed in my test driving that I didn't like. The tiptronic down shifts sometimes when I don't want it to.

I know that there supposedly are several different modes that the transmission will choose from and I was wondering if there is a mode that doesn't down-shift.
kras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:19 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kras
I'm looking to buy a boxster. This is one thing I noticed in my test driving that I didn't like. The tiptronic down shifts sometimes when I don't want it to.

I know that there supposedly are several different modes that the transmission will choose from and I was wondering if there is a mode that doesn't down-shift.
just get a manual, its a fun car. why would you want a car to shift for you?
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
just get a manual, its a fun car. why would you want a car to shift for you?
The car will be a DD for my wife --and the sad truth is that it will seldom exceed 55mph, except when I drive it.
kras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kras
I'm looking to buy a boxster.
Why buy a Boxster? Just take TriGem's when he leaves it running outside one of his banks.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:22 PM   #10
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
First, I would like to note that just because you have a Porsche and can afford one does not mean you should throw money away and not even care about MPG.
Second, my house is on a hill and recently I started to think along the same lines. I have a manual and all I do is shift into the next gear, that way I can still call on the engine but the speed is not restricted by the gear and I just coast but it is safer than just going to neutral. Not sure about a tip, but auto's are normally programmed for good fuel economy so I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Why buy a Boxster? Just take TriGem's when he leaves it running outside one of his banks.
hahahha, lol

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:15 AM   #12
fab

good one... grizz
painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:35 AM   #13

Ouff.. Ideling like that is NOT good for a engine!..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k

I went to the bank, parked the car, left the Car & A/C running for 20mins, came back, drove to another bank, parked my car, left the Car & A/C running for about 35mins, then drove it back to my office. Shifted gears between 4-5.5k RPM every time.

Maybe you should just buy a Prius and then shift that into neutral & turn off the engine while coasting.
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:01 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
AHAHAHHAHA good one Grizz. I'll take my chances though, the A/C sure keeps the car cool in the heat.

Rick, its not about throwing money away, I'm spending the money in order to be comfortable when I get back to my car and not burn my bottom when I sit down. Since your house is on a hill what are you going to do about premature brake fade?

Vipola, neither is turning on and off your engine all day long for short amounts of time. I'll take my chances letting my engine idle.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:32 PM   #15

Wow that is very bad for your car, bud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k

Old 08-07-2007, 02:00 PM   #16

Back to the initial topic -

Bottom line: Is going from D-->N to eliminate engine braking for gas saving purposes (down hills and red lights) going to be bad on the tranny or not?
Old 08-07-2007, 02:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL12
Back to the initial topic -

Bottom line: Is going from D-->N to eliminate engine braking for gas saving purposes (down hills and red lights) going to be bad on the tranny or not?
the tranny can take it, but itz alot of wasted effort on your part...

skip_168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:11 PM   #18

The Boxster has AC?
NICE! could never figure out what all those buttons with snow flakes meant.

If its above 60F, the top is down....People always accuse me of going tanning at the fake bake. I tell them its true I have a tanning machine, it has a 250 HP boxer engine straight from Stuggart.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Even Steven
Actually, it will not save you any gas. A little known fact about modern engine management systems is that they have the ability to cut off the fuel pulse entirely when coasting, such as a long downhill grade. Now, I'm not a Porsche mechanic, so I'm not 100% sure that Porsche does this, but I do know for a fact that most other manufacturers program their engine management systems to do this in order to raise their average fuel economy.

So the next time you're coasting down a hill, if you put your transmission into neutral, remember that you're forcing the computer to send fuel to your engine to keep it idling. If you were in gear instead, the fuel pulse may be shut off entirely by the engine management system, thus increasing your fuel economy.

If you doubt this, just do a little bit of research on the Internet and you'll discover it's true.
You Sir, Are Correct.

Modern engines use NO fuel to coast to a stop. In neutral there is no longer a mechanical linkage to the road to drive the rotation of the engine. Therefore something must be done to "run" the engine, so engine management must start the fuel flow.
Just think, you are getting those last few feet for FREE. YAY!

Hacks: De-Snorkeled, Clutch Swich, Debadged, Red Seatbelts, Painted Bumperettes,
986S Badge, EVO Intake, SuperSprint Exhaust, Fabspeed Cat Bypass
My Car: http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd74/zackwatt/
zackwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackwatt
You Sir, Are Correct.

Modern engines use NO fuel to coast to a stop. In neutral there is no longer a mechanical linkage to the road to drive the rotation of the engine. Therefore something must be done to "run" the engine, so engine management must start the fuel flow.
Just think, you are getting those last few feet for FREE. YAY!

To Clarify: you are saying that when you coast in drive, all fuel flow ceases and engine RPM is maintained by absorbing the cars kinetic energy, effectively slowing it down faster but using zero gas?