Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 203
Shifting into Neutral to Save Gas?

What do you all think of this:

My box is a tiptronic. Despite the auto-trans, my box has some pretty darn strong engine braking. (I am not used to this)

When coming to a spotlight or going down a hill, what do you all think of putting the car into neutral to eliminate engine braking and coast with less friction? Although it'll definetly save me some gas, is frequent "shifting" from drive to neutral going to cause premature wear and tear on the transmission?

Thoughts and comments?
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:57 PM   #2
boxsterz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Just my 2Ę...


I don't think it's worth it. My belief is that the auto tranny shifter was not designed to be shifted so frequently, otherwise it would be so noted in the owners manual. AFAIK, there is no car manufacturer that recommends this technique.



To my chagrin, my father and brother still do this, after debating it with them. To each their own.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:05 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL12
What do you all think of this:

My box is a tiptronic. Despite the auto-trans, my box has some pretty darn strong engine braking. (I am not used to this)

When coming to a spotlight or going down a hill, what do you all think of putting the car into neutral to eliminate engine braking and coast with less friction? Although it'll definetly save me some gas, is frequent "shifting" from drive to neutral going to cause premature wear and tear on the transmission?

Thoughts and comments?
Actually, it will not save you any gas. A little known fact about modern engine management systems is that they have the ability to cut off the fuel pulse entirely when coasting, such as a long downhill grade. Now, I'm not a Porsche mechanic, so I'm not 100% sure that Porsche does this, but I do know for a fact that most other manufacturers program their engine management systems to do this in order to raise their average fuel economy.

So the next time you're coasting down a hill, if you put your transmission into neutral, remember that you're forcing the computer to send fuel to your engine to keep it idling. If you were in gear instead, the fuel pulse may be shut off entirely by the engine management system, thus increasing your fuel economy.

If you doubt this, just do a little bit of research on the Internet and you'll discover it's true.
Even Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:32 PM   #4
bmussatti
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Also from a safety perspective, it is best that you are in gear, in the event you need to avoid, or maneuver, around something.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:34 PM   #5
Registered User
 
TriGem2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,431
Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Who SERIOULSY buys a Porsche thinking "Well itís good on gas"???

Today I took my car to work with me just for fun.

I went to the bank, parked the car, left the Car & A/C running for 20mins, came back, drove to another bank, parked my car, left the Car & A/C running for about 35mins, then drove it back to my office. Shifted gears between 4-5.5k RPM every time.

When a car is this much fun, who cares about an extra 5MPG?

Maybe you should just buy a Prius and then shift that into neutral & turn off the engine while coasting.
__________________
http://i46.tinypic.com/2qx0rqs.jpg
2001 Boxster Artic Silver / Black Interior
-GT3 Front Bumper w/ Lip
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:55 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: GA
Posts: 34
I'm looking to buy a boxster. This is one thing I noticed in my test driving that I didn't like. The tiptronic down shifts sometimes when I don't want it to.

I know that there supposedly are several different modes that the transmission will choose from and I was wondering if there is a mode that doesn't down-shift.
kras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:19 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: chicago
Posts: 3,510
Send a message via AIM to djomlas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kras
I'm looking to buy a boxster. This is one thing I noticed in my test driving that I didn't like. The tiptronic down shifts sometimes when I don't want it to.

I know that there supposedly are several different modes that the transmission will choose from and I was wondering if there is a mode that doesn't down-shift.
just get a manual, its a fun car. why would you want a car to shift for you?
__________________
http://i34.tinypic.com/157yslk.jpg
"I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself." ~F. Porsche
Gemballa springs::litronics::Eurotech 18s(275/225)::B&M::MOMO wheel::
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:29 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: GA
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
just get a manual, its a fun car. why would you want a car to shift for you?
The car will be a DD for my wife --and the sad truth is that it will seldom exceed 55mph, except when I drive it.
kras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:44 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Annapolis Maryland
Posts: 1,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by kras
I'm looking to buy a boxster.
Why buy a Boxster? Just take TriGem's when he leaves it running outside one of his banks.
__________________
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...izzlysmall.jpg
'97 986
Cheating Death on 19" Wheels
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:22 PM   #10
There Is No Substitute.
 
rick3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: West Coast
Posts: 3,066
Garage
First, I would like to note that just because you have a Porsche and can afford one does not mean you should throw money away and not even care about MPG.
Second, my house is on a hill and recently I started to think along the same lines. I have a manual and all I do is shift into the next gear, that way I can still call on the engine but the speed is not restricted by the gear and I just coast but it is safer than just going to neutral. Not sure about a tip, but auto's are normally programmed for good fuel economy so I wouldn't worry about it.
__________________
1999 Ocean Blue Metallic Boxster - blueboxster.com
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:23 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: California
Posts: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Why buy a Boxster? Just take TriGem's when he leaves it running outside one of his banks.
hahahha, lol
__________________
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3420/...90927559_o.jpg

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 04:15 AM   #12
fab
Registered User
 
fab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 386
good one... grizz
__________________
00 Boxster Tip Blk/Blk
100% de-ambered
painted center console
painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:35 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Gatineau, Qc
Posts: 285
Ouff.. Ideling like that is NOT good for a engine!..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
Who SERIOULSY buys a Porsche thinking "Well itís good on gas"???

Today I took my car to work with me just for fun.

I went to the bank, parked the car, left the Car & A/C running for 20mins, came back, drove to another bank, parked my car, left the Car & A/C running for about 35mins, then drove it back to my office. Shifted gears between 4-5.5k RPM every time.

When a car is this much fun, who cares about an extra 5MPG?

Maybe you should just buy a Prius and then shift that into neutral & turn off the engine while coasting.
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:01 AM   #14
Registered User
 
TriGem2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,431
Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
AHAHAHHAHA good one Grizz. I'll take my chances though, the A/C sure keeps the car cool in the heat.


Rick, its not about throwing money away, I'm spending the money in order to be comfortable when I get back to my car and not burn my bottom when I sit down. Since your house is on a hill what are you going to do about premature brake fade?

Vipola, neither is turning on and off your engine all day long for short amounts of time. I'll take my chances letting my engine idle.
__________________
http://i46.tinypic.com/2qx0rqs.jpg
2001 Boxster Artic Silver / Black Interior
-GT3 Front Bumper w/ Lip
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:32 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arcadia CA
Posts: 91
Wow that is very bad for your car, bud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
Who SERIOULSY buys a Porsche thinking "Well itís good on gas"???

Today I took my car to work with me just for fun.

I went to the bank, parked the car, left the Car & A/C running for 20mins, came back, drove to another bank, parked my car, left the Car & A/C running for about 35mins, then drove it back to my office. Shifted gears between 4-5.5k RPM every time.

When a car is this much fun, who cares about an extra 5MPG?

Maybe you should just buy a Prius and then shift that into neutral & turn off the engine while coasting.
__________________
01 Boxster S, 04 MINI CooperS, 04 WRX Wagon (Track Only)
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/281816/986sig.JPG
Back2DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:00 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 203
Back to the initial topic -

Bottom line: Is going from D-->N to eliminate engine braking for gas saving purposes (down hills and red lights) going to be bad on the tranny or not?
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:05 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: florida
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL12
Back to the initial topic -

Bottom line: Is going from D-->N to eliminate engine braking for gas saving purposes (down hills and red lights) going to be bad on the tranny or not?
the tranny can take it, but itz alot of wasted effort on your part...
__________________

skip_168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:11 PM   #18
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,696
The Boxster has AC?
NICE! could never figure out what all those buttons with snow flakes meant.

If its above 60F, the top is down....People always accuse me of going tanning at the fake bake. I tell them its true I have a tanning machine, it has a 250 HP boxer engine straight from Stuggart.
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:35 PM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Even Steven
Actually, it will not save you any gas. A little known fact about modern engine management systems is that they have the ability to cut off the fuel pulse entirely when coasting, such as a long downhill grade. Now, I'm not a Porsche mechanic, so I'm not 100% sure that Porsche does this, but I do know for a fact that most other manufacturers program their engine management systems to do this in order to raise their average fuel economy.

So the next time you're coasting down a hill, if you put your transmission into neutral, remember that you're forcing the computer to send fuel to your engine to keep it idling. If you were in gear instead, the fuel pulse may be shut off entirely by the engine management system, thus increasing your fuel economy.

If you doubt this, just do a little bit of research on the Internet and you'll discover it's true.
You Sir, Are Correct.

Modern engines use NO fuel to coast to a stop. In neutral there is no longer a mechanical linkage to the road to drive the rotation of the engine. Therefore something must be done to "run" the engine, so engine management must start the fuel flow.
Just think, you are getting those last few feet for FREE. YAY!
__________________
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/9591/65zxg8pcz4.jpg
2002 Boxster S
Guards Red/Black

Hacks: De-Snorkeled, Clutch Swich, Debadged, Red Seatbelts, Painted Bumperettes,
986S Badge, EVO Intake, SuperSprint Exhaust, Fabspeed Cat Bypass
My Car: http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd74/zackwatt/
zackwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #20
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackwatt
You Sir, Are Correct.

Modern engines use NO fuel to coast to a stop. In neutral there is no longer a mechanical linkage to the road to drive the rotation of the engine. Therefore something must be done to "run" the engine, so engine management must start the fuel flow.
Just think, you are getting those last few feet for FREE. YAY!

To Clarify: you are saying that when you coast in drive, all fuel flow ceases and engine RPM is maintained by absorbing the cars kinetic energy, effectively slowing it down faster but using zero gas?
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page