Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2007, 09:55 AM   #1

Hey, Perfectlap: GREAT Advice!

i posted awhile back about waxes; mine seemed to be washing off when it rained (Maguiar's NXT). Perfectlap suggested som acrylic based FK1 1000 followd by FK1 425 anti-static quick-detail spray. my FK1 stuff came in on Friday; they also included a free sample of some hand glaze.

i washed the car, applied the wax, applied the glaze, and hit it with the spray. VERY nice results! i figured FK1 would be seriously expensive if a concours guy recommended it, but it's really pretty cheap. the 425 smells like waffle cones when you spray the car...

anyway, thanks for the tip. that stuff is gold.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:07 AM   #2

Glad to hear you like it. For the record, I've never entered a concourse. My car is hardly a garage queen. Which is why I like cheap, quick and long lasting.
After a great deal of experimenting with everything from expensive brands to really cheapo over the counter stuff I came to realize that price and durability are really the only differences. A few specific products really stand out for paint correction(Menzerna IP) and quick detailing (Fk1 425) but the overhwelming majority of detailing products produce nearly identical results to even the enthusiast, zero difference to the casual observer.

The Duragloss, Chemical Guys, and FK1 lines are no-frills, very concentrated and are offered with very low shipping costs. Save your money on these and spend your money on where I personally think it matters...towels. Quality towels are expensive and I think emphasize the point that you shouldn't be doing a full detailing of your car every week. The less you touch the paint the better, so if you need more than 20 towels you're probably detailing too often. Ditch the over priced auto store micro fiber towels which are nothing more than rebranded janitorial towels and get some top notch waffle weave towels from pak shak or poorboysworld.com.
Can't beleive some people take a cheap towel to a Porsche or similar.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:56 PM   #3

i'm with you. i like to drive my cars and it shows. usually i wash / quick detail weekly, wax every six weeks, treat seals / weatherstripping every six months, and clay / polish annually.

the cars had been looking great this year until the rain started. the NXT wax washed off the car immediately. the LAST thing i want to spend my weekend doing is waxing cars. i'd rather be driving.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:10 PM   #4

Hey Perfectlap, which towels would you recommend for the following;
-drying
-removing wax or polish
-applying fk 425

can there be one towel?? Or do you use a specific type for each application?

Thanks!
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:43 AM   #5

insite,
you should probably claying allot more often with a soft clay like Sonus green clay. I think it's a good idea to clay while you are washing...maybe every second or third wash. Use the lubrication from the suds, cheapest lubricant you can buy. Its a good idea to wash after claying as well, the claying motion breaks loose sediments from the road that hook into your paint. You really want to make sure its off the paint before you go further.
Clay and a good quick detailer is all you really need on new paint to keep it looking A+.

Audio Guy,
Different towels for different purposes really helps your paint and your pocket book in the long run as the towels will last longer.

For drying, if you wash with a hose (vs. Optimum No Rinse) you should be removing the nozzle and flooding the surface to remove most of the water. Blot dry the remaining beads in an up and down motion, don't wipe. Use an absorber type sponge (Pepboys) for the soft top, but never on the paint. The poorboysworld.com waffle weave towels are the best I've used because the weave is tight and the threads never snag.

For the Fk1 425 or other last step products (LSPs), use a short nap towel or the non-furry side of the microfiber towel. Make sure to use a quality sprayer because Fk1 send out the 425 in cheap bottles with crappy sprayers to keep costs down. The liquid is on the thick side so you'll waste allot of product without a good sprayer. A quick shot of fine mist goes a long way.

For wheels buy the cheapest you can get. And use them only for the wheels. Chemical Guys have an excellent selection of low cost towels, microfiber and waffle weave.

For paint in general, I like to use different colors for different stages. I'll use Poorboys microfiber mega towel (orange) with silk binding for paste waxes and liquid polishes. For final buffing when the car is CLEAN I use expensive waffle weave towels in a different color like the pakshak.com ww towels, these are softer...no need for the prickly microfiber at this stage. You're doing more harm than good and bringing back swirls. Waffle weave is not just for drying, the closed loop ends are ideal for buffing.
And always spray the paint surface before touching it, dry rubbing of paint is no good.
p.s.
Optimum No Rinse diltued in a spray bottle makes a very cheap quick detailer. I like to use it if the paint surface is not dirty enough to require a full wash but too dirty for a quick detailing. Flood the panel and wipe down in one direction. Then I follow up with the 425 spray. Crazy slick finsih, feels like silk.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-07-2007 at 06:58 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote