View Single Post
Old 08-07-2007, 06:43 AM   #5
Perfectlap

insite,
you should probably claying allot more often with a soft clay like Sonus green clay. I think it's a good idea to clay while you are washing...maybe every second or third wash. Use the lubrication from the suds, cheapest lubricant you can buy. Its a good idea to wash after claying as well, the claying motion breaks loose sediments from the road that hook into your paint. You really want to make sure its off the paint before you go further.
Clay and a good quick detailer is all you really need on new paint to keep it looking A+.

Audio Guy,
Different towels for different purposes really helps your paint and your pocket book in the long run as the towels will last longer.

For drying, if you wash with a hose (vs. Optimum No Rinse) you should be removing the nozzle and flooding the surface to remove most of the water. Blot dry the remaining beads in an up and down motion, don't wipe. Use an absorber type sponge (Pepboys) for the soft top, but never on the paint. The poorboysworld.com waffle weave towels are the best I've used because the weave is tight and the threads never snag.

For the Fk1 425 or other last step products (LSPs), use a short nap towel or the non-furry side of the microfiber towel. Make sure to use a quality sprayer because Fk1 send out the 425 in cheap bottles with crappy sprayers to keep costs down. The liquid is on the thick side so you'll waste allot of product without a good sprayer. A quick shot of fine mist goes a long way.

For wheels buy the cheapest you can get. And use them only for the wheels. Chemical Guys have an excellent selection of low cost towels, microfiber and waffle weave.

For paint in general, I like to use different colors for different stages. I'll use Poorboys microfiber mega towel (orange) with silk binding for paste waxes and liquid polishes. For final buffing when the car is CLEAN I use expensive waffle weave towels in a different color like the pakshak.com ww towels, these are softer...no need for the prickly microfiber at this stage. You're doing more harm than good and bringing back swirls. Waffle weave is not just for drying, the closed loop ends are ideal for buffing.
And always spray the paint surface before touching it, dry rubbing of paint is no good.
p.s.
Optimum No Rinse diltued in a spray bottle makes a very cheap quick detailer. I like to use it if the paint surface is not dirty enough to require a full wash but too dirty for a quick detailing. Flood the panel and wipe down in one direction. Then I follow up with the 425 spray. Crazy slick finsih, feels like silk.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-07-2007 at 06:58 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote