Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2007, 08:53 AM   #1

Spare removal?

has anyone permanently taken out the spare in the front boot? looks like you can get a bunch more trunk space. i'm thinking about replacing it with a compressor, repair kit, +/- repair goo. i've never had a flat that left me stranded in 16 years of driving. of course, this would likely be my first

nola mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:45 AM   #2

Life is funy. 997/987/Cayman owners complain that there is no spare, and some of them have even purchased one.

Years ago Porsche issued an advisory that the spare was part of the crash protection.

Just recently on Rennlist a 997 owner hit something that cut the sidewall. He put the goop in and it just came out because the hole was too large. Then there was the delay of finding a replacement tire.

In the 8 years of I have owned by 986 I have had 3 "flats." Nails in the tire and a cut valve stem. Did not have to use the spare, but I'm keeping mine in the car.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 10:03 AM   #3

I wouldn't give up my spare if I had the choice. I am also the type to not only keep the spare for a nasty flat, but also carry a can of tire inflator/goo for minor patch jobs.
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 10:17 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i also have mine in there as well...BUT im thinking if compressor and patching kit would be a better idea, lift the car, patch the hole, and inflate. don deal.

even if you do put the spare on, theres nowhere to put the original tire/wheel other than the passinger seat, and if you have a passenger then i dunno. lol. very impractical
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 10:36 AM   #5

yea I took my spare out, it gives you like 50% more trunk room, better gas milage and less weight.

Most of my driving is around town as my office is close, I'd phone a friend to grab my compressor / spare tire / whatever was needed. If it was real bad or I was far away I would just have it towed or have somebody drive the spare to me.
Supercharged Viper SRT-10 800 HP Special Edition #49 of #50 (current)
Ferrari 360 Spider
Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster
911 Cab
Boxster S (current)
08 Hummer H2 (current)
BMW Z3 (current)

Limos in Ohio and PA - First Class Limo Columbus Limos

http://pteam.net/avatar3.jpg
my car collection *Porschephiles agree, Desnorkify your Porsche!*
pteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 01:58 PM   #6
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
ToolPants is right- better to keep it in the car because it is part of the car's crash protection for the 986. For the 987, they removed the spare, but at the same time reinforced the area near the pedal box for additional crash protection. I'd keep the spare in place unless you just know you'll never get into a frontal collision. It ain't worth.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 05:22 AM   #7

On longer trips I put my spare in the car, but most of the time it is out. I save 25lbs by losing the spare and another 25 lbs with a barille battery. Sure seems to make the car quicker. BTW, did we ever figure out where you would put a big 18 inch rear tire in the car if you got a flat?

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 06:52 AM   #8

I lost my spare to audio equipment, and just carry a can of goop. The way I see it, you have two problems that make having a spare relatively useless: A) If you had a flat, esp on a rear, where are you going to put that big tire? In the passenger seat? It obviously won't fit in the rear trunk, and I haven't tried, but I'm pretty damn sure it wouldn't fit in the front trunk either. Further, unless a car has a full size spare, the only thing a spare is going to do is get you somewhere close, at low speeds, so that you can get a new tire. If you're on a road trip, and you're in the middle of nowhere, you're certainly not finding 18" Z rated tires in stock, so either way you're going to be inconvenienced. If you're close to home, I am just fine with a flatbed ride to my shop or making a friend bring me a Porsche wheel so that I can get home (for that matter, my spare is sitting on a shelf in the garage).

To me, I don't see any reason not to lose it, whether it is for increased room, weight loss, or in my case, an audio install.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 06:54 AM   #9

I just had a blow out and was very thankful to have my spare. I figure if you replace it w/what your saying and ya got AAA then your golden...no worries at all. However, I replaced my rear tires w/run flats and intend on doing the same in the front in the very near future.

http://i40.tinypic.com/ei6sns.jpg
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 07:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
BTW, did we ever figure out where you would put a big 18 inch rear tire in the car if you got a flat?

Ed

If it won't fit in the front trunk, then I would assume you would put it in the passenger seat. I would take my floor mats and place them between the tire and seat to keep it as clean as possble. If you have a passenger, then they are SOL because they are hitching a ride back into town.

Last edited by Adam; 07-22-2007 at 07:31 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 07:29 AM   #11

Spare Removal

I bought a Contintental Comfort Kit, about the size of a shaving kit, to replace the spare and use it when I need the space -- on a longer trip. Makes the front trunk big enough to handle a decent suitcase almost doubles the size.

I looked hard for the Porsche Notice about the spare tire removal and safety, vice the postings on numerous boards. The notice I found says that the car was tested with the tire installed and therefore the car's tested safety is only confirmed with the spare installed --- which is slightly different than that the spare tire was designed and installed as a part of the support . My bigger issue ... what do you do with the removed tire when you mount the spare? In the instances where you are on a trip, I expect the trunks are full (tire won't fit anyway since it is larger, most say put it in the rear and tie down the lid. Although a 17 will fit in the empty front.) The other option is to put it in the passenger seat if ... you do not have a passenger (and don't mind the risk of scratching up the interior/leather.) Of note this is an issue with many cars that use a space saver spare.

I have an 02 and an 06 if the firewall was "beefed up" significantly they did it stealthily. So ... I keep the spare in around town but remove it when I need the space on a trip. The Continental Comfort Kit is a great answer IMO. There are a few lower price alternatives or a 987 kit can be purchased from Porsche.

Hope this helps.
ATB,
Tom
trube78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:12 AM   #12

This is what the TSB Porsche published on 9-11-98 states:

In countries where it is not legally required to carry a spare wheel in the vehicle at all times, for example in Germany, the question is occasionally asked whether the spare wheel may be removed to increase the storage capacity in the luggage compartment. Please respond to this question with the following information:

"In addition to its intended purpose, the spare wheel fitted in the luggage compartment also serves to absorb some of the impact engery introduced into the front of the vehicles in serious frontal collisions. Please take this into consideration and drive with appropiate care when, in exceptional cases, the spare wheel is not carried in the luggage compartment."
Old 07-22-2007, 10:27 AM   #13
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
This is what the TSB Porsche published on 9-11-98 states:

In countries where it is not legally required to carry a spare wheel in the vehicle at all times, for example in Germany, the question is occasionally asked whether the spare wheel may be removed to increase the storage capacity in the luggage compartment. Please respond to this question with the following information:

"In addition to its intended purpose, the spare wheel fitted in the luggage compartment also serves to absorb some of the impact engery introduced into the front of the vehicles in serious frontal collisions. Please take this into consideration and drive with appropiate care when, in exceptional cases, the spare wheel is not carried in the luggage compartment."
And that's that. Good find TP.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 11:00 AM   #14

When I started Boxstering 8 years ago I searched on the net for all the Boxster info I could find. I found the company that did the computer simulated crash testing for the Boxster. On their site there were these neat 3-D x-ray images of a Boxster being crushed. Wish I had save the images. You could see how the spare tire might help.

I am personally not concerned about the crash advisory. I need more space in my trunk. But with my luck the day I left the spare at home is the day I would need it.

If you remove your spare just stay away from poles that jump out in front of you.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:08 AM   #15

Dibs on the clear headlight lol

http://i40.tinypic.com/ei6sns.jpg
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 06:17 PM   #16

makes me feel good to know that that spare is what's between me and a fiery death...could it really make that much of a difference? i guess not worth it to find out.
nola mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 06:48 PM   #17

Does anyone know whether those tire inflator/repair spray cans are useable with 18" tires? If so, can the tires be used again after repairing them?
986sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:45 PM   #18
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
On the way to the Parade (both trunks packed full), I noticed I had a flat on the right rear while refueling. I carry an air compressor and plug kit and intended to use it. Upon pumping up the tire, I noticed a egg on the sidewall. Evidently the tire had been flat for some time (doing 80 on the Interstate). Bottom line even though it was a Saturday at 3 PM, I found a Bridgestone dealer a 1/2 mile away that had a pair of W rated tires (168 MPH) in the right size (17"). An hour later, we were back on the road although we left $323 behind. Not bad!!!! BTW they are Fuzion ZR-1s, and for the money they are great deal, although I would never buy them under any other circumstances. No sign of wear after 5000 miles to the Parade and back.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:00 PM   #19

Another story.

About 7 years ago a group of the local SF Bay Area Boxsters caravaned to Las Vegas for a Boxster event. This is a long drive.

One of the owners got a flat, put the spare on, then continued on with the others. Then he got another flat on the way and had to borrow the spare from one of the other Boxsters.

They all made it to the event together and on time.

I think I'm going to put 2 spares in the trunk of my 986....
Old 07-24-2007, 12:44 AM   #20

Spare

Iv'e been thinking about this for a while. I have 18/285's on the back & 18/245's on the front.

If I get a flat I'll be the one doing the walking. No way the wife is going to give up her seat fo a wheel. I think I'll just get a leak kit and save the weight.

2000 2.7 Boxster
aussieboxy is offline   Reply With Quote