Thread: Spare removal?
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2007, 06:52 AM   #8
Cloudsurfer

I lost my spare to audio equipment, and just carry a can of goop. The way I see it, you have two problems that make having a spare relatively useless: A) If you had a flat, esp on a rear, where are you going to put that big tire? In the passenger seat? It obviously won't fit in the rear trunk, and I haven't tried, but I'm pretty damn sure it wouldn't fit in the front trunk either. Further, unless a car has a full size spare, the only thing a spare is going to do is get you somewhere close, at low speeds, so that you can get a new tire. If you're on a road trip, and you're in the middle of nowhere, you're certainly not finding 18" Z rated tires in stock, so either way you're going to be inconvenienced. If you're close to home, I am just fine with a flatbed ride to my shop or making a friend bring me a Porsche wheel so that I can get home (for that matter, my spare is sitting on a shelf in the garage).

To me, I don't see any reason not to lose it, whether it is for increased room, weight loss, or in my case, an audio install.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote