Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2004, 11:56 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Richard Truss
drag racing...

i went to watch the morons at the illegal street races here on saturday night, and while i got offers (people begging me actually) to race, i declined. i have raced years ago, but i think i am older, wiser and frankly had far too much to lose. But i did like watching. But this beg'd the question:

in a flat out drag race, what will my 2000 Stock boxster S beat?

there was a corvette Z06
the average mustangs (GT's and Cobras)
Rice that were squeezing and turbo'd
Camero's, etc.

what are your thoughts? I know these cars are really not intended for drags and that i could kick all their asses in the twisties. But i am just curious. what cars could i beat and what would it take (outside of the supercar range) to beat me?

Richard Truss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 01:30 PM   #2

I'd watch out for a Z06. That car will eat most everything alive in a straight line or a twisty.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:22 PM   #3

Richard, I'm a young idiot at the ripe age of 24 and I own a 03 boxster S so I do some street racing. I try to only do it under safe, low traffic conditions or no traffic at all. Here is the rundown of cars that I have beaten. Only mod I have is a BMC f1 air filter.

98 305hp mustang cobra
95 mazda Rx7 turbo
numerous stang Gt's with and without bolt-one mods
LS1 320hp Trans Am convertible
modded 5.0 stangs
92 ford tarus sho with many mods
LT1 z28

I have only been beaten once. It was a by a 2000 stang GT with nitrous and internal engine mods. It made my S seem slower than a metro

Anything on your list is game except for the Z06. Don't even try it. If you did some smart engine mods you might hang with the auto C5's.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 06:14 PM   #4

thanks adam -- and i meant no offense. truth be told i have done my fair share of street racing as well -- when i had a 96 impala SS as well as a porsche 951. both were fast but my bexter S is much much faster.

so is it your opinion, that the S can beat basically any mustang (gt or cobra) with bolt ons? and hit seems like that would be the case for the cameros and firebirds as well?

what's your take on all the rice stuff. i know a lot of them squeeze and/or have turbo's, but they are so low ponies to begin with, i would imagine it would have to be incredibly heavily modded in order to hang with us. your thoughts?
Old 07-26-2004, 06:46 PM   #5

If you have a stick and know what you are doing when shifting you can take on any mustang that is not modded very heavily. One exception: Do not expect to beat the blown 03-04 cobra's that have 390hp stock. You will get smoked. The thing with rice Richard is that most are pretty slow but once in a while you might see a real humdinger like a supra or integra with a huge turbo plus other things and they will spank vettes, vipers, you name it. These are few and far between but they do exist. The thing is it can be hard to tell which one's are the real deal because most ricers are mostly all show and no go. Here is a vid link of a integra with 425whp whipping a vipers ass. Poor viper driver probabbly thought he had that race in the bag.

http://www.revolutionms.com/videos/Vipervstegra.wmv

Last edited by Adam; 07-26-2004 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:31 PM   #6
Forum Contributor

So Richard, When you gonna show them your new ride?

I can see that you are pleased with having gone for a Boxster S model after all. My wife and I are heading to Manheim, PA on Thursday with my uncle for a large exotic sale auction as now she thinks an Audi TT 225 is what she wants. What can I say, get the lady what she wants, eh? My brother had a blast in Vegas when he brought the car down and of course he says if you ever sell it in the future to someone back east, he is ready to deliver it for you
osuidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 08:37 PM   #7

i cant tell you how pleased i am!!!! thank you thank you and 1000 thank you's! The car is amazing and i thank your wife as well.

i will be sending that paperwork out to your brother this week (im sorry i haven't yet, been driving non-stop). :-D

audi's are very nice. of course i am partial to porsches. New pics are coming. I hope by the weekend -- just moved into the new house and have not yet unpacked the box with the digital cam. LOL

Thanks again, Paolo! You have help make this a wonderful experience!
Old 07-26-2004, 09:06 PM   #8
Forum Contributor

Great to hear.

Now what's all this talk about drag racing? :-)

Man, damn nice car!

Take care.
osuidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 05:23 AM   #9

Its a good thing that guy in the video had that huge tach or he never would have known when to shift. Seems to me he should have thrown that thing out the window along with all the neon crap he had in the dash, probably could save 50lbs.

Anyway, there are tons of tuners around here and so far I have never come across any that “go” at all. They are always trying to get me to race with them, and they always crack me up because they shift 4-5 times to get to 60 mph. There are a few guys I see a couple times a week and recently they have started waving to me when I pass. I guess I have been accepted into their clan.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:56 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
Speaking from experience...to make room for the 2000 Boxster I just picked up, I am getting rid of a moderately modified 97 Integra.

Ths biggest difference is the pure TORQUE that the 6 cylinders give you...and that makes all the difference in the world. There is only so much you can do to a 4-banger to make it go, and when you do, it soudns obnoxious, for the most part.

If you are ever silly enough to look the punk in the eye when he or she pulls up next to you and started hitting the RPMs, what matters the most is how good of a driver you are. You have a 911 turbo? Great. YOu can't shift her, you've got nothing. But of course, since we are "porsche owners," of course we know how to drive them. Right?

Personally, I prefer the vast solitude of empty backroads through the mountains and coastlines. No one can touch you there.

There you have it...my two cents.

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 07:43 AM   #11

all this talk about shifting. it makes me wonder if i am doing it right. seriously though, outside of shifting at higher RPMs and shifting quick, what should i be doing?

I want to uphold the integrity of us porsche owners and may need help before i embarrass us all.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:55 PM   #12

Richard, I'm sure you shift just fine but anyone can learn to shift better. The most crucial shift is the 2-3 shift because it is the most difficult to do smooth and fast. When shifting try to lift your foot off the gas as little as possible. If you are fully letting off the gas peddle when you shift you could be going faster. Try to syncronize your left foot with your right hand as closely together as possible. 3-4 shifts should be ultra quick as it is just one swift pull down into 4th. If you are doing a good lauch from a standing start there are a couple options but you have to be careful. If you simlpy rev it real high like 4-5rpm and dump the clutch you will get shaken to death due to the wheel hop. This is not good at all. My technique isn't the fastest but it's better on the clutch. Hold the revs between 2.5-3k rpm(the stickier the road surface the higher the rpm drop) and drop the clutch quickly. You will probabbly get a small chirp which is all you really want. Once the clutch engages FLOOR the gas pedal. Boxster S's have a good limited slip diff and you should have no problems hooking up in first gear. The next technique is the fastest, but also pretty tough on the clutch if done on a regualar basis. Rev the car up high like around 5,ooo rpm and feather the clutch out more slowly slipping the clutch. This will really put you back in the seat if you do it right. But, like I said it will roast your clutch if you do it alot. All I can say is try practicing often if you want to become more adept at shifting. Everytime you take the car out try going to redline and shifting as fast as possible to the next gear. Be sure the engine oil is warm first though

Last edited by Adam; 07-27-2004 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:21 AM   #13

Or, to get the best of all the worlds, save up (if you need to) and spend a weekend at the closest track that offers race lessons...but no small time stuff. If you can coordinate with a good racing school, take a class to get the basics down.

Not only will you have a HELL OF A FUN TIME doing it, you will be a better, safer, and more experienced driver anyway. And then all the questions you could ever have will be answered by a pro.

There are even some places that let you use your OWN car, provided it falls under some certain guidelines. Do a google search to find schools in your area, or if you are adventurous, you could head out to Lime Rock or Laguna Seca and take classes there for a weekend of sheer speed and fun. There are some schools that let you drive a viper or a formula car...those are HOT.

And when youg et back you will be able to play Mission Impossible theme music when you're in the porsche, and be able to back it up with your new found skills.

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Old 07-28-2004, 08:15 AM   #14

Interesting topic...

Adam nice tips on the shifting.

Richard, in Phoenix they have Bondurant
http://www.bondurant.com/courses/courses.html

They will let you use your own car here. Talk with your insurance company. Since you are in training sessions some insurance companies will let you use your own car. From what I understand you might want to factor new tires into the price if you choose a course that's better than 2 days long.

As far as rice at the street races go. Might want steer clear of the Neon SRT4s. Sounds stupid right, wrong. For about $2000 on top of MSRP those things will run about 300 hp. They're underrated from the factory. They're really about 250hp. Put a good driver in one and they'll sneak by you. A friend of mine owns one...a fast one at that.

Loved the car, but it was time to get something practical.
2005 Acura TL Nav
Nighthawk Black Pearl on Black
aesir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 08:17 AM   #15

Forgot, hey Subanez, what do the weekend courses at Laguna Seca run? I've been looking into the schools for a little while now. I've been thinking about taking some vacation this August. I've been really thinking about Bondurant, but I would love to go through the corkscrew. Maybe it will help my Gran Turismo lap times!

Loved the car, but it was time to get something practical.
2005 Acura TL Nav
Nighthawk Black Pearl on Black
aesir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 08:38 AM   #16

Thanks for the tips, everyone. great shifting advice, and i think i will at least practice the launching this weekend. I dont know if the racing school is in my future, but it sounds great!

factoring new tires into the price? OUCH!!! that may be too rich for my blood -- right now anyway.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:34 AM   #17

aesir - As far as I know, Skip Barber offers the best program for racing schools at Laguna Seca. His program also travels around from time to time, but here is the website where you can get all the information.

http://www.skipbarber.com/

I haven't personally had a chance to make it out to the west coast yet, but its definately one of my goals! Hope the info helps, if you go you best take pictures.

And Richard, yep, once you decide to start going fast, the money starts going fast too!!!

Best bet for you, then: Join a local driving club, or check out what PCA offers for your local area...there are usually a lot of people interested in learning how to drive their machines a little faster and a little more skillfully.

If I'm ever in the area I'll give you a holler.