Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2007, 04:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
i think that the biggest problem people have with factory HIDs is the price, so they say forget it and get the next best thing, which is these kits. and from what ive seen, they are not that dangerous to oncoming traffic at all, although some CAN be.
djomlas is absolutley correct. And anybody who puts in a HID kit ovbiously needs to align the headlights afterwards so theyre in the correct position and not blinding people.

We manually adjusted them to align where the stock factory lights aligned, we measured them before and after on where the lights hit on the garage door.

Also to note, we havnt had 1 person flash us their brights yet. You know when somebody thinks you have your brights on they'll flash you to turn them off, this hasnt happend once.

Supercharged Viper SRT-10 800 HP Special Edition #49 of #50 (current)
Ferrari 360 Spider
Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster
911 Cab
Boxster S (current)
08 Hummer H2 (current)
BMW Z3 (current)

Limos in Ohio and PA - First Class Limo Columbus Limos

http://pteam.net/avatar3.jpg
my car collection *Porschephiles agree, Desnorkify your Porsche!*
pteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:21 PM   #22

Just to add my 2 cents here...albeit a little late. Jeph has it right when he says the bluish color is caused by the prism effect of the projector's cutoff shield. This is a chromatic aberration. My SL500 HID projectors have this, but they are in fact 4300k (stock, OE Osram 35 watt D2R) bulbs. It's (the blue/purple part) only visible on the edge of the cutoff...usually what the oncoming driver sees.

Also, to get the higher color temps, the bulbs are just tinted....much like the cheap halogens that claim to be HID. The problem is that blue tints filter most of the light that is visible to the human eye.

I've worked with specialty vehicle lighting for many years and have done some special application designs...I've seen all the junk out there!

It's good to see that the retrofit kits that use D2 HID lamps fitted with H7 bases are getting better, with more accurate focal points....or, to put it another way, they're getting the actual arc of the HID to be more accurately aligned with where the H7 halogen filament sits. A properly aligned converted D2 bulb will have the same beam pattern and cutoff as the H7 when installed into the Boxster headlight housing.

Again, just my 2 cents...
~M

michael_dba is offline   Reply With Quote