Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2007, 07:21 PM   #1

Dash damage, how on earth...

I just noticed something really annoying. My dash vinyl is starting to swell near the windshield vents. I need to take pictures, but basically it's just kinda bubbling up from the dashboard a bit, and I'm trying to figure out how the heck it happened.

I always use sun-visors that block that part of the dash, although I've had the car outside during the day at work, and sometimes the windows will be up so it gets hot inside. But also being around the vents and how it seems to fog up the window right there when I first start the car, I wonder if the air system is blowing really moist air over it or something.

I'm just not sure how long it's been like that, I just noticed it today. Anyone have any reports of that happening on theirs? It's the half-leather setup so that part of the dash is vinyl of course. Up until now the interior of the car has been kept in amazing shape, but now this giant flaw is really bugging me:P

-David

http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:37 PM   #2

While I haven't experienced this in the Boxster, I have seen in previous Porsches vinyl dash's that crack, split and "swell". I attibute it to sunlight/heat and the drying out of the materials as they age. Not sure there is an easy/simple solution to reversing the damage, short of replacement.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:21 AM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
My experience is that vinyl bubbling up usually is an indication of a chemical reacting with it. Did you get any sunscreen or some sort of cleaner/polish on it lately? I once got some sunscreen on my center console, and even the plastic started bubbling up...hence me replacing with a painted console.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:10 AM   #4

Well, I did get it detailed recently, but I really trust the guys that do it. Maybe I should give them a call anyway and see what they are using. Thanks.

-David
Old 07-25-2007, 05:57 AM   #5
Pat

Bad idea to have a "professional" detail your car. I used to work at one of those places. Also, my buddy owns what might be the best detailing shops between the coasts. I've been fortunate to know people that do a lot of detailing, and the bottom line is, no one will care for your car more than you do.
The shops can use chemicals that are stronger than necessary, thereby decreasing their work time, allowing them to do more cars and make more money. If you use the right stuff that is more mild you'll be much better off.
Oh, and don't even get me started on the stuff car washes use on wheels. That stuff will eat right through the clear coat in several washes.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:27 AM   #6

I think I have a lead. It was the AC

I (used to) do that trick with the MY00 where you press the two buttons on the AC unit to bring up the diagnostic mode (so I can check my engine temp and know exactly when it's warmed up). Problem is, because one of the buttons is the upper vent switch, occasionally the AC would switch to upper vent. The problem is when cold, moist air would come thru and apparently moisten up that vinyl. I guess I just didn't really notice where the air was coming from, I don't run the AC that hard (sometimes it would be just a tiny bit at night when the air is damp), and damn...it musta taken its toll.

So here's a lesson for all those new owners out there, careful with air going thru the UPPER VENT. It's it's moist, it might do some damage to the dash!

-David
Old 08-10-2007, 05:03 AM   #7

For some reason Porsches seem to have a history of the dash covering, vinyl or leather, detaching over time. It is very rare to see a, say, 25-year old 911 that doesn't have the leather coming up somewhere on the dash. I always put it down to the adhesive drying out over time. Could be that the AC makes it worse, as I wouldn't think that a max 10-yr-old Box should have the problem this soon.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:15 AM   #8

I always see leather dash boards for our cars on fleabay that have ripples in the leather next to the defogger vents near the windshield. I was under the impression that it only affected leather dashes, not vinyl. I'll start watching mine carefully, although I rarely use my "defrogger."
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:40 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Couldn't you pop the bubble as if it were a blister and press it down as much as possible?
Old 08-11-2007, 01:47 AM   #10

In my case it's still kinda subtle. I suppose I could cut a thin seam and try to reapply some glue underneath, but I'm of the school of thought right now that I can live with it being what it is, as opposed to trying to live with however I may screw it up in an attempt to make it look better.

-David