Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2007, 04:58 PM   #21

Hey guys, I've made the trip down and am currently in Amarillo. I gave myself plenty of time to make it in case I had any problems.

I'm staying with a friend in SA, but plan on racing some go-karts at Iron Rock Raceway Thursday night, then maybe an autocross on Sunday in SA.

Of course, this is assuming I don't find a buyer for my car.

Sold September 4th, 2007.
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:57 PM   #22

My wife now tells me she's going to be in Austin all week for work. Good and bad.. we'll have a place to stay for Thurs night. but I'll have to make the trip by myself. I'm leaving from KC on Thurs early a.m. to hopefully get there early evening. Since she will be working all day Friday, does anyone have any free time on Fri, just to knock around Austin for the day? Or better yet... find a few good roads somewhere close by?

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:33 PM   #23

Like fast go-karts? A friend of mine and I are planning on hitting up Iron Rock Raceway in Austin at some point. Be forewarned, though, we take our karting pretty seriously.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:16 AM   #24

I love fast go karts!! Let me know when you're going to be there. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
Old 09-01-2007, 05:07 AM   #25

Rodger, I used google maps to re-create your route from Anchorage to Fredericksburg. Holy crap that's a long way to drive for a one-day get together!

From the way it looks, your one way trip is the same as a round trip to San Franscisco and back for me, living in Houston!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:04 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O
My wife now tells me she's going to be in Austin all week for work. Good and bad.. we'll have a place to stay for Thurs night. but I'll have to make the trip by myself. I'm leaving from KC on Thurs early a.m. to hopefully get there early evening. Since she will be working all day Friday, does anyone have any free time on Fri, just to knock around Austin for the day? Or better yet... find a few good roads somewhere close by?

Bob

Just look at a map. Plenty of curvy roads. Go southwest of Austin toward Wimberley. In Austin, geton Loop 1 (also called MoPac expy) and go down 2222. It's short, but lots of curves going downhill. Go down the Capital of Texas Highway, lots of nice scenery.

If there were several people going, I'd be up for going to Llano to Cooper's for some good BBQ!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:51 PM   #27

The wife would probably enjoy some of the antique shops on 6th street, and you should eat lunch or dinner at Katz, an amazing NY deli.

BTW, right on 6th street is one of nicest, coolest Whole Foods grocery stores. Your wife would love that.

Just give yourself plenty of time to sit in loads of traffic on the freeways. It's worse than Houston, and that's saying something!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
Just look at a map. Plenty of curvy roads. Go southwest of Austin toward Wimberley. In Austin, geton Loop 1 (also called MoPac expy) and go down 2222. It's short, but lots of curves going downhill. Go down the Capital of Texas Highway, lots of nice scenery.

If there were several people going, I'd be up for going to Llano to Cooper's for some good BBQ!

Thanks for the tips, I've got the Garmin ready and lots of retro paper maps on hand..but there you go again braggin on y'all's bbq again!!! Come on...show me!! (after all it IS my state nickname! ) Hmmm a spirited run in the Boxster after racing gofast Karts, a trip to what some locals consider great bbq, then off to Freidricksburg! Sounds like a great plan to me! Oh,,, forgot.. have to pick up honey bunch somewhere in there too

Randall: She's worked quite a lot in Austin this last year, and I've been down a couple of times for a day or two (unfortunately flew down since I didn't have the time to take the box) so we're very familiar with 6th street. There's lots of pretty cool places around there. We haven't seen Katz though. We'll have to search it out.
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
Old 09-01-2007, 02:57 PM   #29

Let me know what you're up for, Bob, and when your schedule works out. I'll be getting new tires and changing my oil on Thursday, but will be free on Friday. If you wanted to have lunch at Cooper's out in Llano, then head to Fredericksburg, that would work, however if you have to come back to Austin to pick up the spousal unit, then you might want to just do Katz' Deli. Go to Cooper's on Sunday (I couldn't do Sunday, tho, I have to work).

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 05:40 AM   #30

We're moving the go-kart thing to today, since we want to be tired all weekend. We're leaving SA around 0900 and should be at Iron Rock Raceway around 1000-1030ish.