Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2007, 07:46 AM   #1

I need an audio consult

Hello,
I have a 2002 S with stock radio and stock CD changer in the front and I would like to upgrade the audio.
I have a question for those who know more that I do....
If cost is not a concern which radio/speaker would I install?

I want a radio that looks stock like; black no teenage blue LED lights or anything.
Great sound is a must. I do not want a sub behind the seat or in the floor, rear speakers would be fine, but the eBay speakers look cheap.
I guess I could change the Amp in the front if needed.
I would also like a radio that had XM or Sirius capable. Ipod plug would also be nice.

Is the stock radio the problem or is it the component speakers and amp that need to be changed?

If it is not asking too much, I would like someone to tell me model number and brands so I can order it and have the local guy install them.

Thanks,
James

Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley

Last edited by jhandy; 07-18-2007 at 08:11 AM.
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:56 AM   #2

the single biggest problem (other than the fact it's a cabrio ) are the crappy paper cone speakers Porsche puts in the vehicles. From there, it has to do w/ the size of the door speakers (tough to get low end from a 5.25" speaker) and then the sound stage (why we add rears). Once those issues are corrected, it becomes a power issue and thus some choose to upgrade the amp and/or head unit.

Having said that and not know exactly what your budget is or desired end results, you can vastly improve the sound for under $500 by adding rears, changing out the dash speakers to good coaxials, and making custom baffles to house 6.5" speakers where the doors currently have 5.25".

New head units that look stock - think along the lines of Nakamichi as they are black w/ orange lighting. Not sure if any are XM/Sirius ready though.

You can easily change the speakers yourself by following these 2 guides or search the archives for more answers.

http://boxster.wikia.com/images/b/b6/Boxster_speakers_update_article.pdf
http://boxster.wikia.com/images/b/bf/Door_Baffle_Template.pdf

Good luck!
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:11 AM   #3
Pat

Big thank you! It's so difficult to find people that know what quality sound is that also know about car stereos.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:52 AM   #4

Thanks a lot.
Cost is not a concern the problem is finding someone to do it.
I have called all of the local shops and again, nobody will touch the car.
I may have to go to Houston or San Anotnio to get it done.

Any suggestion on brands or model number of the speakers?
James
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:10 AM   #5

I know a shop here in Houston that will help you. It's Tweeter, located on Voss and Westheimer. They're in a ritzy part of town and work on Pcars all the time.

The installer custom wired my Alpine unit to my factory amp and did a great job installing it.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 07-18-2007 at 11:17 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:10 AM   #6

Try checking w/ the local PCA group as undoubtedly they'll be someone w/ an audio shop in it who knows these cars. Most of these changes really are DIY if you're the slightest bit handy - even if you're not too.

Here's a link to a thread from May about the same topic (it comes up once a month or so). What dash speakers do you use?

And my response in that particular thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster
Replacing the dash speakers w/ any kind requires modifying the bracket as the OEMs are molded in. Someone once sold an adapter for $50 or so that would let you go back to stock - but why the hell would you ever want to (you'll see what I mean when you see the crappy paper cones). I too used Infinity in the dash (I went w/ Reference series - but if I had to do it all again I'd used Kappa's). Very satisfied w/ performance.

As for the doors, it looks daunting, but really isn't. Just follow the instructions. If you go w/ 5.25", you can just swap them into the "tuned port". If you upgrade to 6.5 or 6.75 (highly recommended), then you'll need to make a baffle. I tried 3 different sets of 5.25"s in the stock port and none sounded better than OEM - 2 were actually worse. I decide to make baffles. The crux of the problem is 5.25" just can't produce low tones (especially w/ only 40W driving them). Again, very satisfied w/ performance.

So, here's the good news:
step by step guide from andy M on renntech for upgrading the sound system:
http://boxster.wikia.com/images/b/b6/Boxster_speakers_update_article.pdf

For the doors, use his instructions for removal (you do not need to disconnect the pull handle even if you are adding baffles. Just set the interior skin upright against the door until you are done. No biggie.) Except I'd recommend using the template I created for the baffle. This way, you don't have to do any drilling into the door. Here's the link:
http://boxster.wikia.com/images/b/bf/Door_Baffle_Template.pdf

Now, if you are keeping the stock amp (easiest), make sure you get speakers to match/maximize the power. You want drivers that are either 2 or 4 OHM, high sensitivity (91 dB plus) and have R-M-S ratings from 2W+ to maximize the power from the stock amp. Also (haven't read all the posts here on this), know the stock amp as a cross over built in for the doors. So you will only get low mid and bass sounds out in the door (unless you replace the amp). The good news w/ this is, if you get a good pair of coaxials for the doors, you only need to wire up the woofers and can pretty much exclude having to put in the crossover.

For reference, the stock speakers (in my 99) were 4Ohm in the dash and 2Ohm in the door. The biggest downfall of the Boxster stock sound system is clarity which is caused by the cheap paper cone crap they sourced from Nokia and HAES. 40W per channel is plenty powerful - unless you want real thumping bass or are an audiophile.

Good luck!
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:36 AM   #7

Replacing the dash speakers with infinity Kappas made a huge difference in my -02 Box. Adding 6.5" Kappas in the door using the wood baffle method was also a significant upgrade. I'd personally not spend money on aftermarket amps or headunits unless there's functionality that you want (like DVD, GPS...).
You can pick up the Kappas for cheap on ebay.
stjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:12 PM   #8

The main problem is indeed the stock speakers. If you want real bass, yes you are going to need a sub somewhere. 6.5s in the doors are a huge upgrade from the stock 5 1/4s and very easy to do. If you can, try to stay with a 3-way system. The factory amp is also pretty pathetic, and is the next weak link. The factory head unit, though not very full featured, is a decent source, and you only need to swap it to gain functionality (iPod, Nav, Serius,etc).

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote