View Single Post
Old 07-18-2007, 11:10 AM   #6
Burg Boxster

Try checking w/ the local PCA group as undoubtedly they'll be someone w/ an audio shop in it who knows these cars. Most of these changes really are DIY if you're the slightest bit handy - even if you're not too.

Here's a link to a thread from May about the same topic (it comes up once a month or so). What dash speakers do you use?

And my response in that particular thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster
Replacing the dash speakers w/ any kind requires modifying the bracket as the OEMs are molded in. Someone once sold an adapter for $50 or so that would let you go back to stock - but why the hell would you ever want to (you'll see what I mean when you see the crappy paper cones). I too used Infinity in the dash (I went w/ Reference series - but if I had to do it all again I'd used Kappa's). Very satisfied w/ performance.

As for the doors, it looks daunting, but really isn't. Just follow the instructions. If you go w/ 5.25", you can just swap them into the "tuned port". If you upgrade to 6.5 or 6.75 (highly recommended), then you'll need to make a baffle. I tried 3 different sets of 5.25"s in the stock port and none sounded better than OEM - 2 were actually worse. I decide to make baffles. The crux of the problem is 5.25" just can't produce low tones (especially w/ only 40W driving them). Again, very satisfied w/ performance.

So, here's the good news:
step by step guide from andy M on renntech for upgrading the sound system:
http://boxster.wikia.com/images/b/b6/Boxster_speakers_update_article.pdf

For the doors, use his instructions for removal (you do not need to disconnect the pull handle even if you are adding baffles. Just set the interior skin upright against the door until you are done. No biggie.) Except I'd recommend using the template I created for the baffle. This way, you don't have to do any drilling into the door. Here's the link:
http://boxster.wikia.com/images/b/bf/Door_Baffle_Template.pdf

Now, if you are keeping the stock amp (easiest), make sure you get speakers to match/maximize the power. You want drivers that are either 2 or 4 OHM, high sensitivity (91 dB plus) and have R-M-S ratings from 2W+ to maximize the power from the stock amp. Also (haven't read all the posts here on this), know the stock amp as a cross over built in for the doors. So you will only get low mid and bass sounds out in the door (unless you replace the amp). The good news w/ this is, if you get a good pair of coaxials for the doors, you only need to wire up the woofers and can pretty much exclude having to put in the crossover.

For reference, the stock speakers (in my 99) were 4Ohm in the dash and 2Ohm in the door. The biggest downfall of the Boxster stock sound system is clarity which is caused by the cheap paper cone crap they sourced from Nokia and HAES. 40W per channel is plenty powerful - unless you want real thumping bass or are an audiophile.

Good luck!
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote