Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2007, 12:24 PM   #1

Oil Change DIY Extractor

Has anyone used the oil change DIY extractor shown here:

http://www.bmw325i.net/maint_oil_extractor.shtml

Many have used on the BMW and I know Mercedes dealers use them. Some argue that the sediments at the bottom of oil pan will not be removed while others claim that it will work if the engine oil is hot with sediments suspended. But will it work on the Porsche since the oil filler tube is so long?? Anyone tried it??

porschedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:34 PM   #2

I've never used one. But I remember back in the early to mid '90's Jiffy lube sold a special pressure fit oil drain plug so that they could vaccuum out the oil instead of unscrewing the oil drain plug everytime. They claimed the same thing, that it was beneficial because it sucked out the crud at the bottom of the oil pan. But suspect it was a gimick to sell the plugs and save them time so they could do more cars per day. It's funny that they don't use that system anymore?
2000 Boxster S: 18" Turbo wheels w/color crests, Litronics, Onboard Computer, Traction control, Cruise, Painted rollbar, Leather interior, Aluminum package, headlight washers, Porsche GT3 seats, windstop, Hi Fi six speaker amp package, DSP, CDR 220, Limited Slip, side airbags, BK Rollbar extender.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:41 PM   #3

I'd rather get a plug that has the valve type deal... you screw on the 'plug' which has a valve in it, and you have a separate piece that screws into that valve, opening it and letting your oil drain. Then there's a little screw on cap to protect the threads and the valves.

Had one on my previous car, and it worked well.

On the Boxster, it would mean you don't have to get any more crush rings for your oil changes!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:01 PM   #4

The shop that works on my car uses an oil extractor similar to this on all its oil changes. I guess for them they never have to worry about crossing threads or replacing crush rings.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:25 PM   #5

I've used my oil extractor numerous times, but on other cars/trucks, not my boxster... less mess and reduced risk of burning yourself with hot oil.

I read somewhere that it's not possbile to use an oil extractor on a boxster:
Oil Extractors-Anyone Used on 2005 or newer Boxster?

But I've never actually tried. I think i'm going to give it a try during my next oil chance since i don't understand why it wouldn't work - if you try before then, let us know if it works and I'll do the same if i do it first.

Only caveat i can think of off the top of my head is maybe you need a longer extraction tube to stick in to the dipstick hole because the boxster dispstick is longer than any other dispstick i've ever seen.

HTH,
Larez2

ps
I know of 2 oil drain valve devices that FrayAdjacent makes reference to:

1. the FRAM sure drain system (which I don't think they make anymore because it's not listed on their website) but you can google it.

2. Fumoto Valve
http://www.fumotovalve.com/

I've used the FRAM one before on other vehicles, works great.
larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:35 PM   #6

Hi,

I was averse to using an extractor because of the reasons stated here. But, also because these extractors don't drain the Sump as completely.

And, they don't really save you any work on a Boxster because the Oil Filter can only be accessed from under the car, so you have to raise the Car and place a drain pan under there and recycle the Oil anyway - might as well unscrew the drain plug while you're at it.

Oddly enough, I even own an Extractor - the MityVac 07201 Fluid Evacuator Plus - http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_fee.asp .

I bought this to change the AT Fluid this past Spring when I replaced the Gasket and Filter in the Tiptronic S. The Porsche tool - the VAG 1924 (see below), goes for just under $300 and this thing cost me $52. In addition to being an Extractor, you can reverse it with a side mounted switch so that it will pump fluids as well.

I needed to replace 7 Litres of ESSO LT 71141 and this tool has an 8+ Qt. Capacity. I will also use it to fill the Tranny and Transfer Case on my Honda Passport 4X4's 5-Spd. Gearbox and this tool will be ideal as this Tranny uses 5-30 Motor Oil as the recommended lubricant. It worked especially well for adding the ATF, was clean and easy to use, and doesn't aerate the fluid to pump it - very important for ATF.

Using an Extractor won't blowup your car, but in the case of the Boxster, it really doesn't save you any work either. I may use it on our Jaguar S type as the Filter can be reached from above. But, for my performance cars, I'm sticking to the tried and true method...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:01 PM   #7

MN, use it on the Vespa!
Old 06-01-2007, 06:03 PM   #8

I used to use an extractor on my boats (true inboards, Nautiques) and it worked well given that the drain plug was virtually inaccessible (one had the hose extension but still was a PITA). It was a slow process and I never really felt like I was getting the stuff off the bottom of the oil pan, but there wasn't much choice.

Knowing this, I would never use one on my car because draining it from the pan is so much easier to do. The Boxster is probably one of the easier oil changes because the oil filter is easy to get to.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by funster
MN, use it on the Vespa!
Hi,

The Oil Capacity on the Vespa is only 1.1 Qt., and the extractor has like a 5'-6' hose. I bet the hose alone could hold 1.1Qt. without ever getting any into the container. I'll just drain it the old fashion way...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:57 AM   #10

I tried using an oil extractor to suck all the motor oil out on my 99' Boxster last weekend. The extractor tube got hung up in the dipstick tube about 1/2 way in, but with al ittle bit of wiggling, I could get the extractor tube to go all the way in.

It doesn't work very well for sucking the oil out. I'm not sure of the setup of where the dipstick tube leads to in relation to where all the oil is, but after 20 minutes and only 1 quart coming out, i pulled the extractor tube out.

So i guess in a bind you can suck out at least some (if not all) motor oil using an extractor, but it's really not very effiecient.

Larez2

larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote