View Single Post
Old 05-30-2007, 09:35 PM   #6
MNBoxster

Hi,

I was averse to using an extractor because of the reasons stated here. But, also because these extractors don't drain the Sump as completely.

And, they don't really save you any work on a Boxster because the Oil Filter can only be accessed from under the car, so you have to raise the Car and place a drain pan under there and recycle the Oil anyway - might as well unscrew the drain plug while you're at it.

Oddly enough, I even own an Extractor - the MityVac 07201 Fluid Evacuator Plus - http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_fee.asp .

I bought this to change the AT Fluid this past Spring when I replaced the Gasket and Filter in the Tiptronic S. The Porsche tool - the VAG 1924 (see below), goes for just under $300 and this thing cost me $52. In addition to being an Extractor, you can reverse it with a side mounted switch so that it will pump fluids as well.

I needed to replace 7 Litres of ESSO LT 71141 and this tool has an 8+ Qt. Capacity. I will also use it to fill the Tranny and Transfer Case on my Honda Passport 4X4's 5-Spd. Gearbox and this tool will be ideal as this Tranny uses 5-30 Motor Oil as the recommended lubricant. It worked especially well for adding the ATF, was clean and easy to use, and doesn't aerate the fluid to pump it - very important for ATF.

Using an Extractor won't blowup your car, but in the case of the Boxster, it really doesn't save you any work either. I may use it on our Jaguar S type as the Filter can be reached from above. But, for my performance cars, I'm sticking to the tried and true method...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote