Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2007, 05:48 PM   #1

Stuck Cigarette Lighter

My cigarette lighter is stuck in the down/pushed-in position. I 've tried using tweezers, a pocket knife, scissors and even a nail file to try to pop-out the cigarette lighter but nothing seems to work. It's been stuck in this position since this morning. Luckily, the lighter doesn't seem "warm/hot" so I don't think there's any juice flowing. (The lighter has seen better days.) I've taken my car to the porsche dealer; the fuse is fine so it must be the lighter itself. (Must be time to get a replacement. ) The dealer estimated that it's going to cost AT LEAST $150.00!! I just think that a bit too much. Does anyone have any advice as to how to remove the lighter? BTW, I own a MY03 Porsche Boxster. Thanks All!

MACadct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:23 PM   #2

$150

just pry the panel off and disconnect the harness. Order new parts from Sunset ($12.50 + shipping) and replace yourself. It'll take all of 15 min max and will get you upgrade to a US spec lighter so your accessories will fit in an dnot fall out. Do a search here for cig lighter upgrade or mod and you'll find a post form me w/ the part #s you need.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:34 AM   #3

Stuck Cigarette Lighter

Hi MACadct,

You were on the right track when you said that th lighter wasn't warm or hot and no juice is flowing. There is a fuse blown but just not the one you were expecting. I had a similar problem with a stuck lighter after having used an air compressor powered off the lighter. The fuse indicated on the diagram was fine so I checked all fuses and found that D5 (third row down, five from left) was blown. When I replaced the fuse the lighter popped right out.

So, the solution that Burg Boxster proposed to replace the lighter won't actually fix the problem (sorry Burg Boxster) even if it does give you an upgraded lighter.

You might check all the fuses one by one until you find which fuse is blown.

Good luck,

CarmanGhia
CarmanGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:20 AM   #4

I din't know there can be 2 fuses in a single power line. Obviously it can be.

Another thing to try: it appears that some cigarette lighter plugs of appliances such as vacuum cleaners and such might mess up the socket. If this happens it might be that your lighter no longer makes proper contact. Try pushing it by hand and keeping it hard pressed inside. If it makes contact this way it will warm up and pop itself out (let go once you feel it is hot enough).
Georg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:38 PM   #5

Brand new Cigarette lighter doesn't pop out

Getting my 2000 boxster ready for winter storage and noticed that the stock cigarette lighter/ power point doesn't fit the porsche trickle charger. I ordered the replacement unit from sunset Porsche and installed it today. Pushed the cigarette coil in just to make sure there was power and now the lighter is stuck!

I checked the D5 fuse that is supposed to be associated with the cigarette lighter and the fuse looks fine.

Can't get lighter out. Won't be able to put trickle charger in until I get it out. Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks
bfloeyes11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #6

Threads with good info never die! D5 is the fuse - thanks. One change is that the "D" row is the 4th down. Also, and the fuse is 15A. BTW there is a hilarious video that someone posted elsewhere outlining his adventure with the lighter change. A ton of info on what not to do.

2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote