Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2007, 02:49 PM   #1

Smile Weekend Mods

Hey Guys, I've done a few mods to the Box today. I did the De-Snorkel Hack and it went off with out a hitch. It took me a while to get the grille separated from the surround, but once that was done it was smooth sailing. I was amazed at the ease the snorkel came out, after all I've read. I am not a big guy (140lbs) and all I had to do was lean back and out it came. It sounds a lot more aggressive now and it makes me feel sooo good, lol! I also zip-tied the switch down that allows the car to be started. I got tired of planting the clutch to the floor every time to start. It was a really easy and I can always go back. I could not have done this without the great resource we got here, Thanks guys. I can't wait to get started on the next project. Tomorrow, I will be taking off the Airbag Warning Decals. Woo Hoo.

Some Pics:

Hacks: De-Snorkeled, Clutch Swich, Debadged, Red Seatbelts, Painted Bumperettes,
986S Badge, EVO Intake, SuperSprint Exhaust, Fabspeed Cat Bypass
My Car: http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd74/zackwatt/
zackwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:54 PM   #2
blkboxster

LOL, did you have to print out every single page? jk, yeah its a great mod
Old 07-15-2007, 03:13 PM   #3

The sound witout the snorkel is a nicer, more aggresive sound. When I removed my grilles I shot them with a coat of "cast coat aluminum" paint from Dupli-Color. To me they look better now and the paint has held up with no chipping or cracking.

Last edited by SRQ Boxster; 07-15-2007 at 03:20 PM.
SRQ Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:01 PM   #4

Zackwatt, do I see a ribbed end on the snorkel? I have never seen one out of the car and was wondering if these ribs are what holds it in place? I imagine if it were threading you could just unscrew the thing.

Congrats on messing with the car and beware as it is quite addictive.

AKL
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:37 PM   #5

ok, WARNING BIG EXPLANATION AHEAD

Here is my diagram of the snorkel and a summery of what happens when you remove it. To set the MYTH straight, You do not "remove" the snorkel, you "BREAK" it out. Sorry for all those who were hoping other wise. Now if you will look at my fancy diagram of the Snorkel you will see a few things. The White area is the Snorkel, duh. The Gray area represents the area the Snorkel "sticks" out of. The Blue represents the air flow into the airbox, and the Red thingy is the topic of conversation. This "Red Piece" is what breaks off when you pull the Snorkel straight out. This small piece of plastic is the ONLY thing securing it in place. It is too small to glue back, if you recover it. I did, but I threw it away. The Snorkel does not screw in any way, and I see no need to twist or torque on it to remove it. Now this is not to say that you can not "replace" it after you have removed it. The Snorkel fits securely back into place, just stick it in the hole. The downside is that there is not a "Lock" to make sure it stays there. I just say: use some Super Glue . I have also included some more photos for those who have never seen a Snorkel. Hope this Helps, Cheers!

Zack

Snorkel

Hacks: De-Snorkeled, Clutch Swich, Debadged, Red Seatbelts, Painted Bumperettes,

Last edited by zackwatt; 07-16-2007 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:54 AM   #6

BTW: SRQ I love your grille vents, They look so good. I've been toying with the idea myself, Good Job!

Old 07-16-2007, 08:15 AM   #7

im new to this, so what have you actually done and what is the point of it?
deano_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:48 PM   #8

Question

Not to hijack the thread too badly, but does any one know if the '03/'04 outside vent covers will fit an earlier model such as my '02? It looks like the '03 type with the grill built in eliminates the interior grill on mine. I also like the look a little better and it would be a lot easier to remove to desnork.

AKL
Old 07-16-2007, 03:25 PM   #9
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
Not to hijack the thread too badly, but does any one know if the '03/'04 outside vent covers will fit an earlier model such as my '02? It looks like the '03 type with the grill built in eliminates the interior grill on mine. I also like the look a little better and it would be a lot easier to remove to desnork.

AKL
Yes, it will fit, but the hitch is that the part comes unpainted when you order it from the dealer, so you have to get them painted somewhere before installing it on your car.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
Yes, it will fit, but the hitch is that the part comes unpainted when you order it from the dealer, so you have to get them painted somewhere before installing it on your car.
Thanks for the info. I may try painting them myself if I decide to get them.

AKL