Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2007, 09:06 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 203
Uh-Oh (Scratch)

Story: While driving over a rather large speed bump, I was moving maringally faster than normal. I hear a crunching noise (DO'h). Under my car, it appears I have scratched up one of the low-hanging steel bars near the rear axle. Not a big issue since I can't see it without getting on my hands and knees, but will this spot be highly prone to corrosion? (roads = very salted in upstate NY)

JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:13 PM   #2
Porsche "Purist"
 
Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,111
Garage
Be more worried about it being bent. I'd have it looked at.
__________________
1998 Boxster with 7.8 DME, 2005 3.6 liter/325 hp, Variocam Plus, 996 Instrument panel
2001 Boxster original owner. I installed used motor at 89k.
1987 924S. 2002 996TT. PST-2
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:26 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 203
With visual inspection, nothing seems to be bent. I drove the car a bunch afterwards and noticed no differences.

Is this going to pose a corrosion problems?

Also - worst case (pretend something is bent), what is the typical cost of a fix?
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:15 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,033
If you are worried about rust, you could treat the area with a rust preventative. You could find those at auto-parts/hardware stores. What exactly hit on the underside of the car? I believe many suspension bits like the control arms are actually aluminum so rust may not be an issue anyway.
__________________
'03 3.2L GuardsRed/Blk/Blk---6Spd
Options: Litronics, 18" Carrera lights, Bose sound, Painted to match roll bars.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...Mautocross.jpg
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:50 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
If you are worried about rust, you could treat the area with a rust preventative. You could find those at auto-parts/hardware stores. What exactly hit on the underside of the car? I believe many suspension bits like the control arms are actually aluminum so rust may not be an issue anyway.
Adam,

What I scratched was a low (probably the lowest) clearance part of the car. It looked like a tubular metal bar that attached itself near both of the rear wheels. It is the part with the white "made in germany" sticker. Do you know what part I am attempting to describe is?

Also, do you advise that next time I get the oil changed or new tires, I have them spray that area?

Thanks for the advice!
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:16 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: chicago
Posts: 3,510
Send a message via AIM to djomlas
looks like you scratched your sway bar.
even if oyu wanted to replace the whole part its not that expencive
__________________
http://i34.tinypic.com/157yslk.jpg
"I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself." ~F. Porsche
Gemballa springs::litronics::Eurotech 18s(275/225)::B&M::MOMO wheel::
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:27 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
looks like you scratched your sway bar.
even if oyu wanted to replace the whole part its not that expencive
This is what I like to hear .

So bottom line - I scratched my 'sway bar' and it is not expensive to replace. As a result, I can let it corrode away and get scratched more and when it is in disgraceful shape, I can then inexpensively (relatively) replace it?

Also - from a parts+labor aspect, what do these things cost to place?
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:31 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,033
I agree, sounds like the sway. You could probably get that treated/painted without removing it if care is taken to mask off surrounding areas. Ideally, it should be removed and painted or maybe replaced if it's more than just a cosmestic scratch. Depending on the hit it took, you may want to have a qualified mechanic take a look see and see if it was tweeked.
__________________
'03 3.2L GuardsRed/Blk/Blk---6Spd
Options: Litronics, 18" Carrera lights, Bose sound, Painted to match roll bars.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...Mautocross.jpg

Last edited by Adam; 07-15-2007 at 09:33 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:51 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
I agree, sounds like the sway. You could probably get that treated/painted without removing it if care is taken to mask off surrounding areas. Ideally, it should be removed and painted or maybe replaced if it's more than just a cosmestic scratch. Depending on the hit it took, you may want to have a qualified mechanic take a look see and see if it was tweeked.
It was a light hit and I don't think it is severely damanged. Do you know if the sway is steel or aluminum? I am more worried about the exposed surfaces corroding easily.

Also - got a rough guess as to how much it would cost to completely replace?
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 03:28 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL12
It was a light hit and I don't think it is severely damanged. Do you know if the sway is steel or aluminum? I am more worried about the exposed surfaces corroding easily.

Also - got a rough guess as to how much it would cost to completely replace?
They are steel. I'm not sure how much they cost, but I would definately avoid buying through the dealership. Try a search on google and see who sells oem sways for the boxster.
__________________
'03 3.2L GuardsRed/Blk/Blk---6Spd
Options: Litronics, 18" Carrera lights, Bose sound, Painted to match roll bars.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...Mautocross.jpg
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:48 PM   #11
Porsche "Purist"
 
Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,111
Garage
Sway bars are pretty tough. If you are sure that's all that was hit, don't worry about it.

Post a picture and we can better help you.
__________________
1998 Boxster with 7.8 DME, 2005 3.6 liter/325 hp, Variocam Plus, 996 Instrument panel
2001 Boxster original owner. I installed used motor at 89k.
1987 924S. 2002 996TT. PST-2
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:54 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 3,417
Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
They are steel. I'm not sure how much they cost, but I would definately avoid buying through the dealership. Try a search on google and see who sells oem sways for the boxster.
I have a rear sway bar from an 99' 5spd w/ bushings. Contact me if you want it for dirt cheap.

__________________
-99' Zenith Blue 5-spd...didn't agree with a center divider on the freeway
-01' S Orient Red Metallic 6-spd...money pit...sold to buy a house
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page