Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 07:20 PM   #1

More info on oil than you ever wanted to know...

Thought some of you might find this interesting...

By the way, just got back from Texas last night. Had to go to Abilene for my wife's brother's wedding. I hate DFW airport ! 4 hour delay coming back, never seem to have luck flying back to Chicago from Dallas.

Stayed in Dallas at the Hyatt Regency 4th of July. I little disappointed with the night life in Dallas. We went to the Galeria, took the DART back to the city ( saw a lot of crack heads ! ) and then to Gators in West End. Should have posted up before the trip and met up with some of you down there, we couldn't find anything going on in the city Wednesday night ( maybe everyone was partied out from the night before ? ).

Rented a Mitsubishi Eclipse for the ride from Dallas to Abilene. Not impressed ! Then we rented a Chevy Impala for the trip back, not too bad for an American car, but no cajones whatsoever !

Worked from home today, but can't wait to get back in the Box tomorrow. Hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable 4th of July !

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:05 AM   #2

Smile

Recently rented a Pontiac g6 GT. Frankly, it was a very very nice car for the dough.

I would buy it as a DD, which surprised the heck out of me.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Recently rented a Pontiac g6 GT. Frankly, it was a very very nice car for the dough.
i felt the same way! usually when i travel, i look forward to criticizing the hell out of whatever detroit has thrown my way for the trip. the G6 was really an ok car. it drove nicely. it's the first non-POS i've rented in years.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:33 AM   #4

+ 1 on the G6.

When I made the initial reservation, I asked for G6. They ran out, and tried to put me in a Taurus instead. I said hell no, and they upgraded me to the Eclipse...

On the way back, again I reserved a G6. They also ran out, and gave me an Impala instead

Quote Seinfeld :

Jerry: I don't understand. Do you have my reservation?

Car Rental Assistant: We have your reservation, we just ran out of cars.

Jerry: But the reservation keeps the car here, that's why you have the reservation!

Car Rental Assistant: I think I know why we have reservations.

Jerry: I don't think you do. You see, you know how to *take* the reservation, you just don't know how to *hold* the reservation. And that's really the most important part of the reservation: the holding. Anybody can just take them.

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )

Last edited by NickCats; 07-11-2007 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:48 PM   #5
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
The Harley oil study adds to the growing list of companies that have stated that engine wear can be increased by changing the oil too often.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:28 PM   #6

Smile Acea

Hello,
the Harley "feature" has some valuable & some confusing information for those learning the ropes about lubricants

For Porsche cars however the ACEA and not the API's quality standards are the baselines - it has been this way since 1996
ACEA's A3/B3 or A3/B4 quality standards are what the Porsche Approvals are based upon and have been since 1996. Porsche extends some of the ACEA test protocols for its own purposes and has some specific others too

The 2007 ACEA A3/B3 engine component wear rates are still the same now as they were in 1996. The same cannot be said for some of the confusing data about the APIs latest "S" classification

In short it is always best to use a Porsche Approved and Listed lubricant (there are around 100 engine oils) in our vehicles

ACEA is the "Parent Body" for Euro vehicle and engine manufacturers

Regards
Doug H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:05 AM   #7

Thanks, Doug. I did not know that...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
Old 07-12-2007, 06:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
+ 1 on the G6.

When I made the initial reservation, I asked for G6. They ran out, and tried to put me in a Taurus instead. I said hell no, and they upgraded me to the Eclipse...

On the way back, again I reserved a G6. They also ran out, and gave me an Impala instead

Quote Seinfeld :

Jerry: I don't understand. Do you have my reservation?

Car Rental Assistant: We have your reservation, we just ran out of cars.

Jerry: But the reservation keeps the car here, that's why you have the reservation!

Car Rental Assistant: I think I know why we have reservations.

Jerry: I don't think you do. You see, you know how to *take* the reservation, you just don't know how to *hold* the reservation. And that's really the most important part of the reservation: the holding. Anybody can just take them.

Nick

For all of us road warriors, I would wager this was among our favorite Seinfeld bits.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote