Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2004, 11:06 AM   #1
Forum Member

Rear speakers and 19" wheels!

Hi folks - hope someone can advise me on the following items... Thanks for any help at all...

1. Are there are 19" wheels available for the Boxster (I have a 2000 Boxster - not an S)... Looking for something like some nice BBS alloys, but can't seem to find any!

2. I've seen a ton of info on the Becker rear speaker box setup, but not really seen anyone comment on how good it is (or bad!) and whether it really is worth the effort installing one. I tend to listen to the engine most of the time ;-) however, when I do listen to CD's the sound is pretty crappy right now and wondering whether the installation of the rear sound box will make a big difference or not...

3. Where is the best place to buy the rear speaker box? I've seen a few places online and also a guy on eBay who is selling what he calls an 'enhanced version' with better speakers. Any thoughts/comments here much appreciated.

http://www.tweeks.com/shop?frame=8.48.1763

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7908190316&category=42612&sspagename=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7907949358&category=33715

Again, many thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Geoff

bostonbrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 01:56 PM   #2

Off the top of my head I can think of 2 local 996/986 owners with 19" aftermarket wheels. I have not driven their cars. The tires look like rubber bands or a flat. I have driven Boxsters with factory 18" wheels.

With the lower profile tires the steering inputs are quicker, but in life there is always a trade off. You have more of a selection with 17" tires. If you hit something with 19" wheels then good luck.

We have installed the factory rear speaker kits on about 6 cars. No one yet has yet to asked to install Harvey's kit, which is on your ebay link.

For your year the rear speakers are driven by the head unit. It creates fill sound behind your head.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 09:36 PM   #3
Forum Member

Geoff,

I have a 2003 Boxster 'S' with 19" 3 piece wheels. The fronts are 19 x 9 1/2 and rears are 19 x 101/2. I also have the Blistein coilover so the ride is near stock. These wheels were custom fitted for the car (correct offset). I looked long and hard but didnt like what was out there until I came across these wheels. If you want picture just send me your e-mail. The car is for sale.
03 Boxster S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 07:35 AM   #4
Forum Member

Thanks for feedback to date - anyone have the rear speaker box installed? Worth it?

Thanks for feedback to date - anyone have the rear speaker box installed? Is it worth it? How does it sound...? thanks Geoff
bostonbrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 01:35 PM   #5

See http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=266 .

Harvey's kit looks interesting. The factory kit's speakers are not all that amazing themselves (the drivers used in the kit) but just having speakers back there is a huge improvement.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:46 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to bamaboxster
Installed the Becker rear speaker kit in my Boxster and have mixed feelings about it.

I have a 2004 with the Hi-Fi Sound option. The speaker wires have to be run out to the amp in the trunk for them to work. No need to remove the radio for the installation with this system.

It is a royal pain in the butt getting the wire out to the amp in the trunk.

I ended up neatly running the wire just under the top edge of the carpet under the IP and drilled a small hole near the clutch master mount (black panel) and ran the rest through the existing holes in the trunk firewall.

As others have said on this group, its just fill in sound, not anything earth-shattering. It does make top up driving a little better.

I'm not interested in vibrating the neighbors out of their easy chairs in their homes, but I would like just a little more kick from the rear.

As for my wheels, I have the 18" Carrera light alloys with Pirelli P-Zero Rossi Assymetrico. I could not imagine going to a lower profile tire and upgrading to a 19" personally. I'm sure they would look good. The 19" rims are more subject to road hazard/ curbing damage with the lower profile tires needed.

David
2004 Gaurds Red, Becker rear speakers, xm satellite (commander version) 18" Carrera light alloys
bamaboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 08:19 PM   #7

Yeah, you have to be careful enough as it is with the 18" alloys. If you rub a curb that is higher than one inch it's gonna be ugly. I think personnaly that the 18"ers are just right. 19" will pound you to death on anything but glass smooth streets as well.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 11:11 AM   #8

I was going to add the rear becker rear kit, then I removed the rear storage and had the idea that a 4X6 speaker can fit in there. I purchased MB quart 4X6 and fit them in, very tightly of course. The speakers that go in the storage are not supposed to be loud or anything just give some good midrange and highs to "fill" the cabin and make things sound more like a normal car. The speakers fit and work great, If you look around storage compartment holes( where the speakers will go) you can pop out the trim and as I just wraped speaker grill cloth around and snapped them back and Viola a custom look job with speakers that are better in my opinion. the wiring I brought down the center behind the carprt and ran it under the center console and throug the engine compartment, just locate athe rubber trim around all other wires and poke a hole through with a coat hanger and tape the wire to it and pull, you just got the wire into the front trunk, I called Crutchfiled and they told me which connectors to tap into on the wire for the speakers to work.

As for the 19's, not a good idea, unless you live in a sunny place like florida where the roads arent filled from potholes from the snow plows ( I live in CT NYC suburbs) or is a weekend car.

I have RH 3 piece 18's and I bent the hell out of them in 7 months, they have been getting 3 repaired and 1 was replaced by RH at cost! all in all the repairs cost me $ 1150 !!! better than buying a new set for almost 3 grand. I just cant imaging how you will not get flats and ruin your rims every month. Just my 2 cents

Last edited by jaygo44; 07-22-2004 at 11:17 AM.
jaygo44 is offline   Reply With Quote