Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2007, 06:00 PM   #1

Strange???

Hello all -

I am new to the forum. 2 weeks ago a purchased a '98 boxster with 30K miles. It was a local one-owner sale. I was very excited over my new toy, although I probably should have done more research. That has come post purchase. This site has been invalueable. Already I replaced an ignition switch that wasn't working quite right and adjusted the top microswitch because the windows wouldn't go up all of the way. I couldn't have done that without this site.

Now for the strange thing.....I made an appointment at the local dealership. I explained that I just purchased the vehicle (I know, should have done this BEFORE buying) and would like to bring it in for an inspection. I dropped it off this morning and nervously waited....Then I got a call from the rep. He told me that everything looked great, and they suggested doing an oil change, that was it. No mention of a 30K mile service or anything else. On one hand I was glad to hear everything checked out, but on the other hand wondered how close they looked. They didn't even charge me to look it over, just the oil change.

What should I make of it??

dcompress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
A dealer trying to win future business?
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:24 PM   #3

Strange??

That is what I am hoping for. I guess I have seen so many negative posts about "Stealers" that I was expecting to have them give me a list of things that should be done.
dcompress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:53 PM   #4

Hi, Congratulation for your purchase

People on forums mostly complain when something goes wrong and then the topic gets magnified buy other members chiming in to share their similar experiences and at the same trying to find a fix for the problem.

All is not lost honest people still roam the earth
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:57 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
you sure you werent flirting with them in any way? hehe
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:41 AM   #6

I don't think your experience is too strange. I am about to knock over 30k on my Box and the only non-routine maintenance item I have had to replace are the floormats.

Welcome to the forum!

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:27 AM   #7

Since most dealer exposure is condemnation (w/o benefit of hearing the other side) you should share any good expirences you have had. I'm waaay far from Ohio but I bought a car from Porsche North Olmstead (Cleveland) and was really pleased with how I was treated - even requesting help/information weeks after I was long gone.

I remember my P-dealer - Winner in Newark, Del - doing an oil change for something like $200 and thinking about the, now 130,000mi, Ford Escape I daily-drive that get's a change every 3k at Sears (they bal/rotate for free each time) for $25. Oh well... You either anty up - or learn to DIY.

Jim
wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:30 AM   #8

After two terrible experiences with Paul Miller Porsche in NJ, we wound up calling Pioneer Porsche in San Diego and negotiating our purchase over the phone.

The service at Pioneer was exceptional and provided us with a great opportunity for a roadtrip. I plan to purchase our next Porsche (or Audi?) from them

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote