Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2007, 02:39 PM   #21

yeah, i've been checking autotrader. didn't know if there was a super secret porsche classified site or something that i don't know about. not too much of what i'm looking for in either new orleans or birmingham.

nola mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:49 PM   #22

follow your heart!
Old 06-01-2007, 04:12 PM   #23

First you want to think about it. A s2k is a nice car, well balanced, non pricey, fun car. You can also do alot with that car that would make it easily faster than the boxster, But a Boxster is still a Porsche. Those who make the porsches make it with somewhat of a soul. A s2k is made with the idea of money making behind it. THe boxster as proved by TOp gear is faster around the track because of its low end torque. The boxster is prettier, and it has CLASS. So its up to you! I live in an area where s2k's are commonly known as rice rockets so yea.

Don't get me wrong though, I love the s2k but i just wouldn't get one.

2000 Porsche Boxster
Litronics
Evo Intake
Chrome Front Grill
18" Turbo Twists
Custom Dual Magnaflow Exhaust
Custom Rear Diffuser

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/6...umpic23bg5.gif
Where's my car? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:38 AM   #24

2001 boxster s v. '05 s2000

I traded in my '02 S2000 for my '04 Boxster, which I still currently own & drive. Yes, the S2K's "fun" but it's not a Porsche. I only had my S2K for a year-and-a-half. During that time, I've had the MAP fail on me (which was covered by the warranty - I can't remember what MAP stood for) and the check engine light would light up every 2 - 3 months (Honda didn't know what was going on). I got tired of taking it to the dealer - rather spend my time elsewhere. Maybe the S2K's are better now but I would never go back to buying a Honda after the problems I had with my S2K (which, by the way, was my first Honda). I'm very happy with my Boxster. The maintenance may be more $$$, but that's the price you pay for almost any German /Italian automobile. By the way, if you compare the fabric of the convertible tops of the S2L & the Boxster, the S2K feels more "plasticky" where as the Boxster feels like fabric.
MACadct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:16 PM   #25

it's funny. i was talking to my girlfriend about which car i was going to buy. she says, "oh, i already know you're going to buy the porsche".
"why?"
"because you want it, but you keep trying to think up reasons not to buy it."

sigh.

still can't seem to find anything reasonable near me though.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:32 PM   #26

I test drove S2000 yesterday just to compare to boxsters i test driven before...yes the shifter was really nice on s2000 but boxster felt so much more like home
blueillusion97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:18 AM   #27

I just found this thread in the midst of searching for instructions on removing the center console but I'm going off on a tangent... I had a 2000 Honda S2000. I purchased it with 19,000 miles in August of 2001. I had it until April 2006. It was an incredible feat of engineering. There are two cars in the Honda lineup that are not "mass produced". The NSX and the S2000 are both hand assembled in the same factory. I bought my Porsche to fill the void in my heart after I wrecked the S2000 and couldn't be happier. But you need to give the S2000 it's due. It's a perfectly balanced car to begin with. Stock it has many features that are very pricey upgrades on other vehicles (forged pistons and rods, blueprinted and balanced crank, etc). Additionally, the fact that they were able to get 120hp per liter is an incredible accomplishment. Would I go back to an S2000? Not a chance. Did I love it as much as my Boxster? Yep. They are different beasts. The Boxster is MUCH more refined. It's a Gentleman's sports car. And in closing, there certainly is no substitute.
-Larry
LandSpeed Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:45 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nola mike
it's funny. i was talking to my girlfriend about which car i was going to buy. she says, "oh, i already know you're going to buy the porsche".
"why?"
"because you want it, but you keep trying to think up reasons not to buy it."

sigh.
This is your answer. You have to the get the Porsche. If you buy the Honda, while probably being a smarter economic decision, you will always look fondly at other Porsches you meet on the road. You will always wonder what it would have been like. I doubt that if you buy the Porsche, you will sit around and wax poetic about what life would have been like with the Honda (well maybe you will when you are paying for maintenance ).

I knew very early in my relationship with my wife that I needed to spend the rest of my life with her. Getting behind the wheel of the Porsche gives me a similar feeling. I had other cars before, only to sell them after years or months because I knew it wasn’t the perfect car (like former relationships with old girlfriends?).

When you know it’s right, you know it. Buy the Porsche. It will probably give you a headache or two that you won’t experience with the Honda, but it will give you more enjoyment, and when you are 75 years old, you can look back and say “yeah, I used to have a 986S. That was quite a car.” As opposed to, “boy I sure am glad I based my vehicular decisions on slight economic advantages rather than what I really wanted.”

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:18 AM   #29

heh heh. done!
i'm one of you now...
Old 06-19-2007, 05:44 PM   #30

Send a message via AIM to 7th gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kill
....when you are 75 years old, you can look back and say “yeah, I used to have a 986S. That was quite a car.” As opposed to, “boy I sure am glad I based my vehicular decisions on slight economic advantages rather than what I really wanted.”
good one ...

you'll never return anything because of the 'specs'. in other words, you won't take a car back 'cuz you clocked 6s in 0 - 60mph test instead of road & track's printed 5.9 s. you'll take it back 'cuz it sux.

dude, listen to your heart! which car made it sing?

pca member
7th gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:15 PM   #31

nola mike wrote:
> it's funny. i was talking to my girlfriend about which car i was going
> to buy. she says, "oh, i already know you're going to buy the porsche".
> "why?"
> "because you want it, but you keep trying to think up reasons not to buy it."
> sigh.

Well, that's similar to my very decisive GF who just bought me my Boxster (from some lady in Beverly Hills) and then drove it up to Bay Area & delivered it at my doorsteps -- she just knew that I wanted it, no question asked.

-- peer
Peer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:47 AM   #32

Some thoughts.

First, you really need to drive the respective model years in the price range you are shooting for. There are significant differences between the pre-2005 Boxsters and the more recent ones (987).

Also, take into consideration the 'community' you will be joining. Just the fact you are posting this makes me believe your purchase will be more than just a car for you. Porsche has built a great community of car enthusiasts. You can join your local PCA and there will be a variety of social events as well as advanced driving school and track events. There are also a number of very helpful forums for tech information.

Don't forget about service. My experience with Porsche service has been amazing. Excellent service with attention to detail and great people to work with. My service rep is almost like a concierge service, she does anything for me.

The Honda is a great car too and you will obviously get biased opinion here so drive the cars and make a decision.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote