Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2007, 06:15 PM   #1

2007 Boxster S - Midnight Blue Finally Here! Strange brown staining?

Hi folks, finally picked up my new Boxster last week, absolutely loving it so far (except for the keeping it under 4,200 rpm part.. sigh!). I'm driving it out to Phoenix in two weeks, so the last stretch from Sedona down to Phoenix is going to be a *lot* of fun as soon as I see 2,000 miles tick over

Just wanted to share a few pics with everyone, and also ask a quick question -- there's some sort of brown spray all over the back of the car, looks kind of like an anti-rust spray but it's very inconsistent. There's even some overspray that stained my rear left wheel. Anyone know what it is exactly, and if it was the dealer who sprayed it or what exactly? I have one picture of the bottom of the car in the collection. Any way to get this stuff off, at least from the wheel?

Really enjoyed the forums over the last few months (I ordered the car way back in December, so it's been a horrible wait, reading about everyone else's car and how much they've been enjoying them! Hope to meet a lot of you guys over the next few years. I'm in Cleveland, Ohio at the moment, moving to Scottsdale, Arizona at the end of the month.

Cheers,

Emmanuel

ejmc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:17 PM   #2

And the rest of the pics from today:

Old 05-17-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Beautiful car and pictures!

Congrats,

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:20 PM   #4
bmussatti

Congrats! Beautiful car.

The brownish spray is Cosmoline (spelling?). Just a coating used by Porsche. The dealership should have removed any overspray off the wheels. If convenient, return, and have the porter clean it off. If not, you need some Wurth Citrus Degreaser. Use a 25% solution with distilled water. Strengthen the solution if not coming off easily.

Great picture! Enjoy.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:26 PM   #5

Damn, another great photographer! I really need to learn how to take a picture.

Hey, the car is beautiful! Congratulations.

Bmussatti is right about the cosmoline. You can also try GooGone to take it off.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:41 PM   #6

ejmc11 vbmenu_register("postmenu_99284", true); What kinda camera did you use to take those pics. They look great. If it were'nt for the payments, I would have a new one.
Heated Seats / Cruise
Traction Control / Factory Hardtop
Bumper Plugs / Zaino Z2 Z6 Z8
jci-joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:43 PM   #7

Hey thanks for all the quick replies, and compliments! I read up a bit about cosmoline after I searched through the forums to figure out exactly what the smell was when I drove the car home and parked it in the garage for the first time -- good amount of smoke bellowing out from the back of the car and a rather distinct odor.. a bit disconcerting at first. It would have been nice for someone at the dealer to have warned me about it! Now I kind of like the smell, it's still lingering a bit in the garage

The dealership I bought the car from, Fred Baker here in Ohio, is having a "mid-engine driving event" at Nelson Ledges next week, should be fun flogging around the different Porsches -- they're also bringing some Cayennes and 911s in addition to Caymans and Boxsters. Not exactly sure how open it is to spectators, but Nelson's has always been pretty laid back. If anyone's planning to attend let me know, or at least be sure to say hi!

I'll be sure to take some more pics once I make it out to AZ, should be some great scenery, and I've got my Carrera S wheels already out there to throw on the car. Clear turn signals haven't come in yet, ordered last week.. Good thing I've learned to be patient after the initial wait!

P.S. Bmussatti, I think you're the guy with the orange fascination/obsession/fetish? - I found two pics of an Orange Boxster in a flickr feed just the other day, in some sort of parade, let me know if you want me to find 'em again for you in my browser history or if you've already scoured the entirety of the 'net for such pics
Old 05-17-2007, 06:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jci-joe
ejmc11 vbmenu_register("postmenu_99284", true); What kinda camera did you use to take those pics. They look great. If it were'nt for the payments, I would have a new one.
I've been shooting with a Canon Powershot Pro 1 for the last few years. I chose it over an SLR a few years back because I needed the swivel display for the high-up shots, and was traveling far too much to lug around even more equipment (the various lenses, even bigger camera, etc). Now that I'm finally settled back into the US I'm seriously considering one again, but not a top priority at the moment! I've been exporting Citroen 2cv's out of France the last few years so have been shooting cars semi-professionally, picking up a lot of tricks in the process. With the right lighting you can get awesome shots out of almost any camera. Almost all the cars I sold were through the 'net, so the photos had to be good or they wouldn't sell.. and then I'd starve!
Old 05-17-2007, 08:09 PM   #9

New car

Beautiful car!!! Great pictures!!! I've been working with my camera to improve my car photos. I've still got a ways to go to match your photos.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:09 PM   #10
Ray

Congrats on your beautiful new car!! It is gorgeous. I might have to add that your last photo in the series reminded me of my cat flipping her tail at me ;-)

Best Regards
Ray
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:13 PM   #11

that's a great looking car....can I be the first to bust your bubble with some recommendations??? thanks

1. clear markers will look great! cheap mod too

2. painted vents!

3. and last but not least, some colored crests for those wheels....

is the boxster logo chrome? I think it looks cool how it sticks out back there

Last edited by super66; 05-18-2007 at 05:33 AM.
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:11 AM   #12
fab

Beautiful car, enjoy
painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:26 AM   #13

That is a stunner. Congrats!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:18 AM   #14

****************, you could have atleast cleaned it off before taking those pictures. J/K man that is one slick ass ride... congrats.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:43 AM   #15

+1 for cosmoline. I have lots of experience with it.

It's a grease that's used as a preservative and protectant. Lots of automobile manufacturers use it for shipping their cars overseas, so the salty humid air doesn't cause any corrosion.

AFAIK, it shouldn't stain anything, but it can be a pain to remove. I'd suggest using heat, as it will melt fairly easy above 100 degrees. Use a mild degreaser after heat and a microfiber towel.

If you can't clean it up well, take it back to the dealer. If they can't clean it, they will likely have to give you another wheel.

Anyway, Cosmoline is used by militaries around the world when they store weapons long term. I (somewhat passively) collect old military rifles, and they usually come PACKED in cosmoline, so I have quite a bit of experience in cleaning it up. You could quite realistically pack a rifle in cosmo, wrap it in plastic, bury it in your back yard, and dig it up in 50 years, and the rifle would be perfectly fine.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:47 AM   #16

I forgot to comment on the car! Emmanuel, that is a BEAUTIFUL car! I agree that the colored center caps would look great, but I kinda like the vents the way they are.

You'll dig Phoenix. Sunny dry weather most of the year. It DOES get HOT in the summer, though. (I'm talking 112-118 frequently), but the springtime and fall... and even the winter months can be mild. You'll have PLENTY of beautiful top down weather! I was just in Phoenix last month, and got the top down a couple times.

Keep us posted on the wheel/stain issue.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:25 AM   #17

hmm.....the location says Cleveland but the pictures make me think otherwise...

Congrats!
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:55 AM   #18

emmanuel-

good lookin' car. keep posting pics with the upgrades.

welcome
jeff
jwilson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:03 AM   #19

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
congrats on the purschase.
you really know what you are doing, posting pics right away. sweet.

btw, love the location, really makes the eye concetrate on the car without too many distractions in the background, and great angles as well man, especially partial pics with all the reflections.

keep postng them if you get more pics in, its a beautiful car.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 12:32 PM   #20

Send a message via MSN to Darkhamr
That car's smokin'! Very nice.

Darkhamr is offline   Reply With Quote