Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2007, 08:58 AM   #21

Carfax is often 'incomplete' and they recently settled a class action law suit in the US b/c of it. It's only as good as the information reported to them (when they use it) but don't expect it to be overly accurate. My wife's car had an accident (minor - but $2500 in damages) where police were called and a report was written. When I went to sell it 2+ years leter, I disclosed to the buyer the accident. He didn't beleive me as it didn't show up on carfax - until I showed him the pics and receipts. Go figure.

Anyhow, w/ a '99, I think you are looking for p/n 986.331.161.03
You can check for yourself on the Pelican Parts PET catalog:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/PartsLookup/HTML/986_USA_KATALOG/501-01-Frame5.htm

It is something you could replace yourself, but it is a part of the rear suspension/cross members so you want to inspect for other damage and you will probably also need to have an alignment done afterwards.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:43 PM   #22
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Thanks everyone, I am taking it in tomorrow. I got under there today, and nothing else seems to be bent. The plate is bent and the attachment bar that comes down next to the exhaust is bent, and that's it. I think they previous owner backed into something, because nothing else seems bad and if it was in an accident it would have had to have been one involving police because of the force needed to bend it like that, so it would have been on carfax. I will let you know when it is fixed, howfully it is covered under the warranty. I may post again soon if I need help with the installation if the warranty doesn't cover it. Thanks!
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
That sucks, I got a free CarFax report with the car when I bought it, it didn't say anything, neither did the mechanic. I didn't notice this until a week ago. Any recommendations on where I can do a free vin report.
Hi, I think I have mentioned this before, CarFaxes can be downloaded onto a computer and edited very easily, especially coming from someone you don't know and for free . Also not everyone declares an accident especially if it doesn't implicate another car so be wise and do your homework, buy an AutoCheck or CarFax yourself on the internet before buying a used car and please get the car inspected by a qualified mechanic.

GOOD LUCK
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:29 PM   #24

Smile

Neither carfax nor autocheck are reliable for accidents.

Both do a decent job on the owner history, reg and title problems and the like.

An under the car inspection and paint meter check is key, the only thing that consistently works.

good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:03 PM   #25
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Just an update the warranty people are being really nice, and going to replace the plate. The mechanics agreed it was wrong and said they thought that it could have been bent from being towed improperly.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:20 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Just an update the warranty people are being really nice, and going to replace the plate.
It looked like more then just the plate was bent out of shape,is that all that they are replacing?
Old 05-16-2007, 01:53 PM   #27
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
They are going to replace the plate and bend the bar it is attached to behind the exhaust back. What else do you think is bent?

Update: Nevermind I was wrong.

Last edited by rick3000; 05-16-2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:51 PM   #28
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I didn't want to start a new post so here are some more questions I have.

Is it normal to hear the soft top shifting while it is up when you drive over a bump?
Do the porsche OEM dash cup holders work well or is the ultimate cupholder better?
How hard is it to move the a/c to the lowest console position?
Did porsche ever release the lower console in arctic silver?
Where can I get an arctic silver non smokers tray or how can I do it myself?
How do you repair peeling radio buttons (on/off)?
How do you remove the stereo face plate on a cdr-220?
Is it normal to have the upper dash the hangs over the lower dash (above the shifter boot) not perfectly centered?
What are the metal clips mounted on the underside of the seat for? Does a piece of plastic mount there?

Thank You, I really appreciate all of your answers and helping get to know my new boxster.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:59 PM   #29

I will try to help you out where I can.

Is it normal to hear the soft top shifting while it is up when you drive over a bump?

Nope.

Did porsche ever release the lower console in arctic silver?

Yes,it was an option. There are many of shops and places that will paint it to match whatever you want.

You don't,you have to order a new faceplate. It can be anywhere from $50-125 on eBay.

Is it normal to have the upper dash the hangs over the lower dash (above the shifter boot) not perfectly centered?

Post a pic please.

What are the metal clips mounted on the underside of the seat for? Does a piece of plastic mount there?

Post another pic please.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:30 PM   #30
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The first picture, if you look the upper console is not perfectly aligned. I started messing with it and the lower console will shift into the correct position but it is tilted toward the right.
The second picture is of the mounting brackets under the seat.
The third is of my storage compartment. My question is: should it have a spring to open it and if so does it fit in the little hole?
The fourth is of the silver color my console is. Is it arctic silver?

Lastly, two more questions:
How do you remove the lowest shelf in the center console?
Are your trunks hard to close? I always close it then have to push it agin and get fingerprints on the paint?

Last edited by rick3000; 05-18-2007 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:44 PM   #31

The first picture, if you look the upper console is not perfectly aligned. I started messing with it and the lower console will shift into the correct position but it is tilted toward the right.

That's fine,you will learn to let very minor imperfections go. By the way mine is like that as well.

The fourth is of the silver color my console is. Is it arctic silver?

Hard to tell,what color is your car? If you look under the hood and see a sticker w/ your VIN and Paint Code it should have your car's options as well, XME is the code for the painted center console to match exteroir.

Are your trunks hard to close? I always close it then have to push it agin and get fingerprints on the paint?

The front I slowly let down then press down on the Porsche emblem till it locks. The rear trunk I lower about 3/5 the way from fully open then drop it,it always closes on it's own.

I will let you know about the others when I get off of work.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:36 AM   #32
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I would like to thank everyone who has helped me so far, and here is a list of the questions that still do not have answers:

Is it normal to hear the soft top shifting while it is up, when you drive over a bump?
Do the porsche OEM dash cup holders work well or is the ultimate cupholder better?
Where can I get an arctic silver non smokers tray or how can I paint it myself?
What are the metal clips mounted on the underside of the seat for? Does a piece of plastic mount there? (refer to picture in previous post)
How do you remove the lowest shelf in the center console?
Should the storage compartment have a spring? (refer to picture in previous post)

Thank You!
Old 05-19-2007, 08:45 AM   #33

cup holders

I have an '04 and while I was at first skeptical of the cup holders, they have grown on me. I had my coffee mug in the holder while hurling my car up and down the Tail of the Dragon and I had no problems with it staying put just fine.
dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:51 AM   #34
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Thanks, but I am talking more McD's glasses and mugs.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:12 PM   #35
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I posted in another forum the only questions I have left are:
Is it normal to hear the soft top shifting while it is up, when you drive over a bump?
What are the metal clips mounted on the underside of the seat for? Does a piece of plastic mount there? (refer to picture)
Could I paint a nonsmokers tray myself with touchup paint?
How do you repair peeling radio buttons (on/off)? (Besides replacing the faceplate)
Old 05-20-2007, 07:50 AM   #36

Quote:
I didn't want to start a new post so here are some more questions I have.

Yes, you'll hear some creaks and groans sometimes, but it shouldn't be too bad. With a car like the Boxster, the body will flex a bit and the top will move a bit as a result.

The OEM dash cup holders SUCK. Well, for anything larger than a 12oz can, they suck. I bought one of the Ultimate Cupholders, and love it. I highly recommend.

Not too hard, you just need to get the correct bezel for it, and run the cables down there. Which actually might be a little tricky. I did the reverse, moved the climate control to the top, and getting the cable back up there was a little tricky.

Not sure, but I think it should be. If the bottom dash piece is not straight, it might have been removed and not properly reinstalled.

(123456789)

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:28 PM   #37
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I took it in today, there going to have it for about a week and a half, I just hope that anything the plate went out of shape is fixed. I noticed to day the rear wheels were getting angled inward. If that is causing premature axle damage, etc. I hope it is noticable and they fix it. To bad, no boxster fun for a week.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:29 PM   #38

For me, the excessive shifting was caused by a stripped fastener securing the latch mechanism housing to the windshield frame.

If this is the case:

Here's a link on how to remove the roof latch housing:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4230&view=findpost&p=20543

Here's a link on how I fix mine with tools not normally available at the neighborhood Home Depot:

convertible top latch

Some more reference:

http://www.flat-6.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14020
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:56 PM   #39
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Thanks, but it is not that serious.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:48 PM   #40

Quote:
Here are the pic's of the rear plate. You can see the bar and the plate bent around it.
Two words....pre-purchase inspection. You bought a jacked up car.

Last edited by Adam; 05-21-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote