Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2007, 07:33 AM   #1

Adjusting parking brake - question

Anyone knows how to adjust the parking brakes? I saw the instructions on rentech and I know I have to tighten the adjusting screws etc but how do I get access to those screws? I attached 2 pics. Do I have to remove the entire handbrake in pic 1 to see the adjusting screws in pic 2? Or do I have all the wrong pics? Thanks in advance!! On my bimmer, it takes me only one minute to adjust the easily accessible screws but it's a bit puzzling on the porsche.

porschedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:41 AM   #2

those adjustment screws are just for installation of the parking brake lever. interim adjustment of the parking brake is done at each rear wheel. if you remove the rear wheels, look behind the rotor at the back side of the parking brake housing. there is a slot into which you can put a screwdriver. there is a star shaped ring that you want to move with the screwdriver (you pry the star up or down to turn it).

to properly adjust the brake, put the parking brake on two clicks at the handle. then, at each wheel, adjust the star until the wheel does not turn. you are done. put the wheels back on and go.

if you want a better idea of what this star thing looks like, remove a rear rotor. you will see an adjustment mechanism that spreads the shoes. it's adjusted with the star shaped ring. anyone have a pic? if not, i'll take one tomorrow for you.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:47 AM   #3

Thanks, I agree with everything you wrote but I thought you still have to turn the adjusting screws near the handbrake...at least that's what the pics on renntech show. Anyway, I will give it a shot at the rear wheel adjustment cause right now I am getting 5-6 clicks with the handbrake...it still works but I like to keep it around 3-4 clicks.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:47 AM   #4

found an exploded view of the ebrake. the adjustment screws at the brake lever are used to adjust cable slack. the adjustment mechanisms at the wheels are used to adjust play in the shoes. the star i mentioned is number 2 in the pic below.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:28 AM   #5
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
For a quick adjustment, just lift open the center console armrest cover, take out the rubber mat. Under the rubber mat, you'll see a plastic cover. Remove it by unscrewing the torx screw at the rear. Pull out the cover, and you'll see a u-shaped piece. On that u-shaped piece, there are 2 nuts (shown in your second picture). Loosen the rearward nut first, and that will allow you to tighten the forward nut. After tightening the forward nut, retighten the rearward nut. Voila. Your handbrake is adjusted.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:03 AM   #6

Thanks, Boxtaboy. That makes sense to remove the center console..hope I don't break anything. Renntech says you should adjust both places ie. at the wheel and at the hand brakes. I will do the easy way out at the hand brakes and see what happens. When I pull out my rear wheels next time, I will adjust at wheel area. Thanks again, everyone.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:39 PM   #7

use a line wrench on the handbrake adjustment set screw (if you have one). this can be EXTREMELY tight if never adjusted before; you don't want to round the nut.