Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2007, 03:48 PM   #1

Question Tire Issue-Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

I bought four tires. The rear ar 255 40ZR 17. Lasted 3900 miles. The front are good.Even wear on tires, just tread almost gone. Orignal changed at 31,750.With pilot sport factory N2's.Thougt might be alignment. My car is a 2003 Boxster with tiptron. No burnout actually is driven on smooth roads in S. Texas.Shocks good and air pressue was kept at 36 rear. Defective tires? or are these a softer tire and is normal. Someone help me. I replaced with same rear tires. :ah:

Big Lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 03:52 PM   #2

Pilot Sports ARE pretty soft, and you will wear your rear tires faster than your fronts. I have heard of people getting maybe 6000 miles out of those kinds of tires.

I managed to get about 24k out of a set of Pilot Sports on my previous car (Hyundai Tiburon), upon which they were the OEM tires.

If you were not, however, beating on your tires (they wear out from many more things than just burnouts!), then I would think that 3900 miles is quite low. Are you sure they're worn evenly? You're sure your alignment is correct? Incorrect alignment with soft tires will wear them out pretty quick. I'd have it checked.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 04:07 PM   #3

they shouldn't wear out that fast, do you drive the car hard around turns, how is the pavement in Texas(i assume quite hot, but texture wise).
Nick-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:44 AM   #4
1JB

I've got just over 6k miles on my PS2s and they don't show any wear that I can see.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:41 AM   #5

I have about 4K on my PS2's and I am not down to the wear bars yet, but I suspect by 6K they will be toast. No burnouts, but I do like to pull some g's on conering when I get the chance. Thats one of the main problems with the coilovers and lowering the car, when curves present themselves, the car seems to say, ok, I'm ready, lets go.....

Ed

:dance: :dance: :dance:

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lar
I bought four tires. The rear ar 255 40ZR 17. Lasted 3900 miles. The front are good.Even wear on tires, just tread almost gone. Orignal changed at 31,750.With pilot sport factory N2's.Thougt might be alignment. My car is a 2003 Boxster with tiptron. No burnout actually is driven on smooth roads in S. Texas.Shocks good and air pressue was kept at 36 rear. Defective tires? or are these a softer tire and is normal. Someone help me. I replaced with same rear tires. :ah:
you have a problem and that problem is toe. for comparison, i had a pair of pilot sports last nearly 5,000mi INCLUDING about six hours on a race track. rear tire wear on these cars is speedy, but 3,900 miles just doens't happen unless your toe is out or you take it to the track a LOT.

take the car to an alignment shop ASAP to fix this. you'll also be suprised at how much better the car will handle once it's lined up (especially in the rain). FYI, the design of the rear toe links is such that the eccentrics can actually turn if the lock nut is not thread-locked. this means that your toe settings can drift over time. since i take my car to the track a lot, i set the toe every three months. for a road car, i'd still do it at least every two years. it will save you a fortune in tires.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:42 PM   #7

"I have about 4K on my PS2's and I am not down to the wear bars yet, but I suspect by 6K they will be toast."

Correction, I just looked at the inner edge of the rear tires and, we are down to the wear bars with 4K on them, they need replacing soon. Great tires, looks like I will go through 3 sets of rears for one front set.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
Correction, I just looked at the inner edge of the rear tires and, we are down to the wear bars with 4K on them, they need replacing soon. Great tires, looks like I will go through 3 sets of rears for one front set.
yeah, i go through about three rear to one front set. if your rears are worn much more on the inside, have an alignment shop dial out some camber. there's probably a little more than you need for your normal driving style.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:30 PM   #9

ps2

Thank's for input. It was aling. problem. :dance:

Big Lar is offline   Reply With Quote