Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2007, 04:20 PM   #1

my 97 boxster is overheating after drive 15 mins!

in other thread that i posted the question about my left rediator fan was not working after i change the resistor the fan started worked! but still as before the temp gauge will move to the THIRD MARK(the one next to 180 and before 250) if you guys had experience on this please tell me what is the problem most like from? thanks a lot!!

ferrari355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:49 PM   #2

if I interpret your description correctly, that sounds about normal actually.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:09 PM   #3

When was the last time the coolant was changed? Maybe you have the wrong Stat in the engine? Mine runs normally at 180 to slighly past 180. If all else fails just drive it less than 15 minutes.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:19 PM   #4

F355, forgive me, but it sounds like English is not your first language.

Here's a picture of my instrument cluster, with the engine warmed up. Note where the temperature gauge is. This is the normal/average operating temperature.

If the needle is around that point, you're fine. It's when it gets to the right of the last white mark that you need to worry.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuiyuan
sorry for my bad english, ok, i modded your pictures, my car is runing at where the circle at please see it and tell me that is normal or not. thanks!

That's a little on the warm side, but not 'overheating' yet. On your drive, are you stopped in a lot of slow moving traffic, or are you driving at good speed? Air flow through the radiators is better when the vehicle is moving, also higher engine speeds mean the water pump is pumping more water, thus moving more heat from the engine.

Have you removed your front bumper skin and cleaned out the radiators? Is there a good amount of fluid in your system? (check the tank in the back trunk with the engine cool, add more if needed)

If everything checks out, you might want to have an independent Porsche mechanic flush your coolant system. There might be blockage somewhere.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
That's a little on the warm side, but not 'overheating' yet. On your drive, are you stopped in a lot of slow moving traffic, or are you driving at good speed? Air flow through the radiators is better when the vehicle is moving, also higher engine speeds mean the water pump is pumping more water, thus moving more heat from the engine.

Have you removed your front bumper skin and cleaned out the radiators? Is there a good amount of fluid in your system? (check the tank in the back trunk with the engine cool, add more if needed)

If everything checks out, you might want to have an independent Porsche mechanic flush your coolant system. There might be blockage somewhere.
do i have to go to the dealership to flush the coolant system? yes, i saw some leafs in front of my left radiator, but right one is clean. but i remember that when i first bought the car it always stay in the middle of the "8" never passed it..
ferrari355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:36 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
@ Ferrari,

Your fine. If you are still paranoid;

-Take the bumper off and clean the radiators

-Put in fresh coolant & distilled water

-Now if your still paranoid, install a 'S'/996 oil cooler

-If you still want to make it run cooler install the 'S'/GT3 center radiator
Old 05-09-2007, 05:23 AM   #8

And here are a couple threads about the above subjects, look them over and determine if you want to do it yourself
Changing the Coolant
and
Cleaning the Radiators

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote