Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2007, 04:23 PM   #1

Has anyone retrofit 2003 OEM glass top?

Has anyone done this? I assume the OEM glass window is larger than the aftermarkets with better clearance for service position since the frames are different? Is it as simple as the porsche tech says?

Question:
You mentioned in an earlier reply that an 03 top could be mounted in a 99, and that one could be taken from a salvaged 03 and bolted into a 99. What needs to be taken from the 03 that is different than the 99?

Answer:
Should you be getting a top from a salvaged car then just un-bolt the complete top from the salvage car and bolt it on your car. The changes were to the top itself.

Scott Slauson - PCA WebSite - 5/6/2007

docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:57 PM   #2

Unless you were able to find a salvage yard that had an 03+ with a top in GREAT condition, and they would remove it AND sell it to you for less than the cost of an aftermarket glass window top....

... I'd think it would cost WAAAAAY too much.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 06:51 PM   #3

I'm told its possible, but not exactly cost effective. IF you could find a wrecked 03-04 with a perfect top and it was under $3k for the whole mess, I'd consider it, but whenever I've seen one for sale its more like $4-5k and at that point, I'll deal with the smaller window and slightly increased PITA for top side engine service.

The difference is a 03-04 top is a 4-bow, while the 02-97 is 3-bow, hence why the glass windowed tops are much smaller, as the glass cant fold in half like the plastic does.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 07:16 PM   #4

thanks for feedback..i guess if it was that easy(cost effective) others would have done it.
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:43 PM   #5

03 aftermarket top

I just replaced GAHH glass aftermarket soft top in German canvas. Everything seems fine so far. They provide 2 year warranty (except glass breakage)

Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote