Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 03:09 AM   #21

When my plastic window was slashed last year, my ins. co wrote me an estimate for replacing the top with aftermarket... Not many insurance adjusters are savy enough to know that a plastic window can be sewn in. I got a brand new GAHH top out of the deal.

It is worth a try.

Best of luck.

AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:19 AM   #22

Oh no! Now that I've already learned that the 03 and newer cars have a glass windowed top, I kinda wish I had bought an 03 or newer instead of my 02. I missed by one year!

Is there any way to put a glass windowed top on a car that came with plastic? I"m guessing it's expensive enough that it wouldn't be worth it, but who knows, I've been surprised by things before.
thehighheelsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:48 AM   #23

GAHH top installed for about 900-1200, OEM porsche glass window top with the required new framing @ 5000$. the aftermarket tops are very nice, the window is smaller, but it is hard to notice really.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:53 AM   #24

awesome directions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
Who will take his cut. Go to the upholstery shop directly. The going rate for rear window plastic replacement is $400.

And you can replace the top yourself.

See Here

I'll be installing the GAHH top myself with the help of this set of instructions. Thanks!

Jon
Previous Toys:
2005 RX-8, RIP
1989 GTA, 5 Speed, Procharger Supercharger and 2 Core Intercooler, 1 3/4" headers, 3" Flomaster Exhaust, cat-delete, digital ignition, bigger fuel injectors
Oaktown 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:25 AM   #25

I got a new GAHH top (glass window) put on yesterday: literally.

After 6 years, clouds and cracks in the plastic forced my hand. My car was 100% OEM -- so I didn't take the decision to go with a non-OEM top lightly.

I could not be happier. The top is of equal/better quality and fit to the OEM top and the smaller window seems to give it a ever-so-slightly more streamlined profile. I like the look better than the OEM. I don't think anyone other than a Boxster owner would know it is not from the Porsche factory.

Also fully loaded cost was $2200 -- I'll pocket the differential between this and the OEM.

Long way of saying -- OEM is great. But so is the GAHH top!
d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:57 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl1252
Does anyone have any thoughts about how I can fix the cut while I decide what to do? I mean, is there a product that can chemically mend the cut back together so that water doesn't seep in?

Jeff

Depending on how big your cut is, I used silcon (pliable) cauking to keep the rain out. If the cut is big you can always use a needle and fishing line (clear) to get it close enough to use silicon cauking. The cauking remains pliable so you can still lower and raise your top.

Duct tape on a Porsche? Are you nuts!!

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighheelsgirl
Oh no! Now that I've already learned that the 03 and newer cars have a glass windowed top, I kinda wish I had bought an 03 or newer instead of my 02. I missed by one year!

Is there any way to put a glass windowed top on a car that came with plastic? I"m guessing it's expensive enough that it wouldn't be worth it, but who knows, I've been surprised by things before.
You can install a used OEM glass windowed top from an 03 or 04 very easily on a '02, and there is no re-wiring or other parts needed. You can get the top from a junkyard or from someone who is setting up a dedicated track car. The going price for the complete top and frame assembly varies between $750 and $2500 and the whole conversion process takes less than 2 to 3 hours.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:08 AM   #28

Gaah Replacement

The Gaah replacement with the glass window fits and works great. The glass window is a little smaller than the stock plastic window, so you wind up with a bit more in the way of blind spots. Don't bother with the Porsche Dealership, they just farm it out to the local upholsterer anyway.
pcs5978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #29

i've got a small crack in my window 1-2mm from the edge/seam where the plastic meets the window.

does that loctite stuf dry CLEAR?

is the loctite stuff better than the silicone caulking idea? both sound like good ideas for a temporary fix. my tear is so small - maybe an inch long at most...I'd rather fix it this way, and then wait until I "have" to fix the window - as the rest of my window is pliable and clear looking.... once it totally goes bad, I can see springing the money for a new upgraded GAAH top or something, but for now, i'd be happy to just "ghetto" fix it as long as it doesn't look tacky. my crack is small and given the lcoation, this idea to DIY might work fine.

my car is not a DD, and when it's out on the road, 99% of the time the top is down anyway..to for now it's more just to keep it from getting any worse and for the rare occasion when I could get trapped in rain.
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #30

I used a clear vinyl pool liner repair kit.

Cut a patch for each side of the rip.

Almost invisible repair and very water tight.

Later,
Mark1999
mark1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:08 PM   #31
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
My top has a sewn in window replacement, it leaks.

I'd go for a new top at the insurance companies expense and change companies if they raise your rates.

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote