Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2007, 11:19 PM   #1

Are these a good brand of brakes?

$60.00 is pretty cheap. My other questions are, is changing brakes a relatively easy DIY and will I need any special tools to do the job and my sensors have not activated yet but I think they are very close to doing so, should I replace them too? Thanks in advance!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250109102771&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:us

conradtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:22 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Yes,they are an easy D.I.Y.;
http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/brakes/

If the sensors haven't gone off yet then there is no need to replace them.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:08 AM   #3

Thank you Blinkwatt. I will be doing this very soon.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:28 AM   #4

Sensors not gone off... yeah, you don't have to replace the pads, but if you wait until the wear sensor is tripped, you have to replace the wear sensors, too. At $12 each, 2 per wheel....

It can't hurt (your wallet) by replacing your pads early!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:35 AM   #5

Thank you Fray!
Old 05-03-2007, 10:46 AM   #6

IIRC, Mintex are the brand of pads I put on my car. They work great for daily driving use. Squeak a little when they're cold.

They ARE one of the OEM brands. If you check out pads on Pelican Parts, there are three different brands listed as OEM providers.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
Old 05-03-2007, 10:53 AM   #7

Hi,

Be sure to replace the Brake Hardware too - PN# 996.351.959.01 (Fr - 2 Req.), 996.352.959.01 (Rr - 2 Req.).

This is essential as the old Caliper Pins get corroded from all the Brake Dust. If these are not clean, it can cause the Pads to Hang-up and wear unevenly, shortening their life and affecting Braking Efficiency.

Adds about $100 to the cost of the Brake Job - still much cheaper than a Dealer...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:58 AM   #8

Jim,

I didn't replace the pins when I replaced my pads.... But maybe I'll put those parts on the list when it comes time to do brakes again. I swapped my pads out at just over 40k, so I figure another 40k and I'll be due. I'll be replacing the rotors then as well, so I figure replace anything that can wear.

MAYBE... I'll find a nice set of 996 brakes and swap....

Old 05-03-2007, 11:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
IIRC, Mintex are the brand of pads I put on my car. They work great for daily driving use. Squeak a little when they're cold.

They ARE one of the OEM brands. If you check out pads on Pelican Parts, there are three different brands listed as OEM providers.
Hi,

Nope, Pelican is wrong, OEM used only 2 pad manufacturers - Pagid and Textar. Brembo Pads were available as a little known option - M476 - High Friction Brake Pads.

Interestingly, this Option Code does not show up on any Build your Porsche Dealer Options List. It may only be Factory internal coding for the Brembo Pads.

I recently changed the pads on my '99. I wanted to go with the OEM pads as it's just a Street Car. I found that my car has the M476 option when I removed the original pads and found they were Brembos.

The Brembos are good enough pads, but they dust like crazy - to the point that their primary purpose was to create dust, with a little braking on the side.

I replaced them with the Pagid OEM pads and to date - 250mi., they produce much less dust than the Brembos did while not seeming to suffer any less braking efficiency...

Old 05-03-2007, 11:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
Jim,

I didn't replace the pins when I replaced my pads.... But maybe I'll put those parts on the list when it comes time to do brakes again. I swapped my pads out at just over 40k, so I figure another 40k and I'll be due. I'll be replacing the rotors then as well, so I figure replace anything that can wear.

MAYBE... I'll find a nice set of 996 brakes and swap....
Hi,

It's not my habit to recommend deviating from the Factory Service notes, especially where the Brakes are concerned.

But, if one were to clean up the springs and sand the pins smooth using # 600 sandpaper, then apply a good coat of paste wax to the pins, you'd probably be OK. Ask me how I know...wink...wink...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-03-2007 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:37 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to [z0ne] Send a message via MSN to [z0ne]
Haven't heard anything about these brakes but I've got Hawk HPS on my car. Best pads I've ever come across.
[z0ne] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:53 PM   #12

Yes dust has been a huge concern for me, I am wiping down my rims literally every other day. It sucks. I hope these don't dust up too much. Thanks for all the help friends!

Now if I can only remember where I put my floor jack at my folks house!