Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2007, 04:59 PM   #1

Angry Cel First Time Out Of Storage

HI guys, I took my car out of storage yesterday and 15 minutes later the CEL came on, that's what you get for caressing her during those long winter months.
Someone told me that it could be the gas sitting for 6 months that can be the problem and advised me to consume a few full gas tanks before panicking and dishing out the big $$$$$$$ for new oxygen sensors.

Has anybody experienced this and should i have added something to the gas before storage, any imput from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Jim WHERE ARE YOU HELP

Thanks

2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual

Last edited by Franco; 05-02-2007 at 06:06 PM.
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 03:05 AM   #2
fab

1. you need to know the CEL code. If you don't have a reader take your car to autozone they can help.
2. When I store my car for the winter, i do add gas additive.
Hopefully, it's nothing serious.
painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:43 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
I have only 2 guesses, 1) bad gas, run that tank empty and fuller-up with new gas and maybe an additive like techron fuel system cleaner.

2) bad MAF, usually about 15 minutes from the car is started the CEL will trigger because the first few minutes the cold engine is running, the MAF isnt being used, I believe the DME is using a preset fuel map until the engine is at proper operating temps before the MAF is used for its data... then you get your CEL. Goto AutoZone see what the code is.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:41 AM   #4

Hi,

As mentioned, it's best to find out the Code #. It could be any of a hundred things. But first, disconnect the Battery (Radio Code in Hand) and wait 5 min. before reconnecting it and see if the code resets - I'm betting that it does.

If you stored the car with a Fuel Stabilizer such as Stabil, your fuel will remain fresh for up to 6 mos. Srtill, it's a good idea to get new fuel in there as soon as possible. Also, I always add a 1/2 can of Jectron at the start of the season - this will remove any varnish which may have occured and clean the injectors. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:17 AM   #5

Hi Guys, Thanks for your opinions, I'm going to run a couple of gas tanks with some additive to remove any varnish.
I don't know if there is an Auto zone in my area, if not I'll buy a code reader but first I'm going to disconnect the battery and see what happens.
Stupid me should have added some stabilizer just like i put in my snow blower, lawn mower and boat engine.

I should stop with the superficials and take care of what 's beneath the skin.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

As mentioned, it's best to find out the Code #. It could be any of a hundred things. But first, disconnect the Battery (Radio Code in Hand) and wait 5 min. before reconnecting it and see if the code resets - I'm betting that it does.

If you stored the car with a Fuel Stabilizer such as Stabil, your fuel will remain fresh for up to 6 mos. Srtill, it's a good idea to get new fuel in there as soon as possible. Also, I always add a 1/2 can of Jectron at the start of the season - this will remove any varnish which may have occured and clean the injectors. Hope this helps...

Hi Jim, I disconnected the battery and the CEL didn't come back on, i drove the car about 10 miles and no light.
Jim do you think the problem is fixed.

Thanks
Old 05-03-2007, 07:43 PM   #7

Franco,

I have no way of knowing. But these DMEs often glitch after being woken up. Disconnecting the battery reset it. If it doesn't reappear, you're OK. Until then, don't worry about it...

Old 05-04-2007, 09:15 PM   #8

Hi Jim, CEL reappeared today so i went and bought an OBD2 reader (INNOVA 3030) and got these codes P1123 & P1125, but the P1123 is not shown in my Boxster service manual as you already mentioned in previous posts.

The only status icon still flashing was the C= CATALYST MONITOR, do you think this can be the culprit for reading a P1123 code.

The car runs great, starts OK, idles OK, the only thing i noticed was the gas consumption a little high but than again i could be wrong.

1997, 65,000 KM, OEM air filter, 6 month old gas

I read all the threads and the thing that intrigues me the most is that my car has non of the symptoms like most of the other cars.
Jim I know I'm a pain in the BUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT, butta whata du u tink.

Thanks and good night
Old 05-04-2007, 09:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco
Hi Jim, CEL reappeared today so i went and bought an OBD2 reader (INNOVA 3030) and got these codes P1123 & P1125, but the P1123 is not shown in my Boxster service manual as you already mentioned in previous posts.

The only status icon still flashing was the C= CATALYST MONITOR, do you think this can be the culprit for reading a P1123 code.

The car runs great, starts OK, idles OK, the only thing i noticed was the gas consumption a little high but than again i could be wrong.

1997, 65,000 KM, OEM air filter, 6 month old gas

I read all the threads and the thing that intrigues me the most is that my car has non of the symptoms like most of the other cars.
Jim I know I'm a pain in the BUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT, butta whata du u tink.

Thanks and good night
Hi,

Well, the trouble with these codes is that they are often less than definitive - they only point you in the right direction - sometimes.

I suspect that best case, it's bad gas. From there I would first suspect the MAF, then possibly O² sensors. On a '97, even with relatively low miles, some of these things could simply be coming due.

First, I would add some Jectron - http://www.********************************************/acatalog/Lubro_Moly_Jectron_Fuel_Injection_Cleaner.html and keep adding fresh gas - as much as possible.

If no-joy, I'd then clean the MAF - http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/content/prod_detail.aspx?S=Y&PN=05110 . You might also try disconnecting the MAF electrical connector to see if this extinguishes the MIL, that would be a tell-tale.

If still no-joy, you may need to start buying parts. But, report back first, all may not be lost. Hang in there...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-04-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:19 PM   #10

HI Guys, Filled up with new gas today and I erased cel light, drove around and 110 KMS later cel shows up again. Tried unplugging MAF and cel didn't clear so went and get some cleaner, cleaned it and nothing changed, plugged up OBD2 and P1123 code only. I noticed no difference in the idling when unplugging the maf .

I did notice a strange sound which i could only hear with the windows closed and at a stop, and didn't get louder when picking up speed but was faded out by the engine noise, sounded like a bearing starting to go bad or a vacuum hose trying to suck up water, don't know if this pertains to the maf but just thought i should mention it.

Any thoughts guys?????????????????????????????????

Thanks
Old 05-05-2007, 10:22 PM   #11

Hi,

Interesting.... Porsche has a TSB out 9/00 1715 1 noting the Oil Filler Hose between the Crankcase and the Service Unit (Oil Filler in Trunk).

It says: "Oil Filler Hose can crack causing the following conditions:
  • Check Engine Light

Oil Leak on the Crankcase in the area of the Oil Filler Hose

Rough running (rough idling, increased idle speed)

As a result of the incoming secondary air, the following Fault Codes may be stored in the DME Fault Memory: P1123 to P1130.

A new style hose was installed in Production as of August 18, 2000. In case of complaints, the new style Hose should be installed. PN# 996.107.254.03"

Sounds similar to what you're experiencing, especially with the sound you describe. Check the Crankcase for tell-tale signs, and if confirmed, send me a PM w/ your email Addy and I'll shoot you a copy of the TSB w/ replacement procedure.

There is also a TSB discussing P1123 and noting the proper voltage range of the MAF. It says:
  • MAF signal voltage:

- If the value is between 0.92 V and 1.08 V, no replacement is necessary.
    - If the value is 1.15 V or above, replace MAF.

Run a test using a Multimeter and see what value it gives you. Hope this helps...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-05-2007 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:31 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I had P1123 & 1125 once,it was a bad MAF. $220(I think) shipped for a new non E-gas MAF from 986online.com .
Old 05-06-2007, 01:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Interesting.... Porsche has a TSB out 9/00 1715 1 noting the Oil Filler Hose between the Crankcase and the Service Unit (Oil Filler in Trunk).

It says: "Oil Filler Hose can crack causing the following conditions:
  • Check Engine Light

Oil Leak on the Crankcase in the area of the Oil Filler Hose

Rough running (rough idling, increased idle speed)

As a result of the incoming secondary air, the following Fault Codes may be stored in the DME Fault Memory: P1123 to P1130.

A new style hose was installed in Production as of August 18, 2000. In case of complaints, the new style Hose should be installed. PN# 996.107.254.03"

Sounds similar to what you're experiencing, especially with the sound you describe. Check the Crankcase for tell-tale signs, and if confirmed, send me a PM w/ your email Addy and I'll shoot you a copy of the TSB w/ replacement procedure.

There is also a TSB discussing P1123 and noting the proper voltage range of the MAF. It says:
  • MAF signal voltage:

- If the value is between 0.92 V and 1.08 V, no replacement is necessary.
    - If the value is 1.15 V or above, replace MAF.

Run a test using a Multimeter and see what value it gives you. Hope this helps...

Hi Jim, I'm trying to send you a PM but your inbox is full.

Thanks Franco
Old 05-06-2007, 03:21 PM   #14

Hi

Update, I tightened the flange connecting the oil fill tube to the crankcase but the noise didn't disappear. there are no leaks anywhere else so that's covered.

I verified the MAF and i got a reading of 1.28 volts so i guess I'll be shopping for a new sensor this week. One thing at a time i guess.
Jim thanks for all the information you have PM'D me, i really appreciate all the time you took to help me on this subject.
Guys like you are indispensable on forums like this, MUCH RESPECT
Old 05-16-2007, 02:00 PM   #15

Hi guys, Update

I received the new MAF today, installed it and took a reading.

1.24 - 1.3 volts

The value isn't between 0.92V and 1.08 V, it's more in the range of the old one 1.28V
Waiting for the new MAF to arrive i had cleaned the old MAF and cleared the CEL and after driving 300K it had not come back on and the cycle was all done.

New MAF $196.00 delivered in the USA.

Thanks
Old 05-17-2007, 07:18 AM   #16
fab

Where did you buy your MAF?
painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab
Where did you buy your MAF?

Yeah? Where did you get it? That's the lowest price I've seen it anywhere. I'm sure we'd all love to know, just in case!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:50 AM   #18

Hi, here you go

http://www.************************************************************/index.html

Now I'll have to kill you.

Last edited by Franco; 05-17-2007 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:55 PM   #19

Hi more info for you enthusiasts

Bosch
Air Mass Sensor
Not for models with M620 e-accelerator. Please verify Bosch or Porsche (99660612300) part number on existing unit prior to ordering. 1 per car.

$196.72

Bosch
Air Mass Sensor
For models with M620 e-accelerator, for original 99660612400 or updated 98660612501 Porsche units. Please verify part number on existing unit prior to ordering. 1 per car.

$248.44

Now concentrate on my problem
Old 05-17-2007, 01:59 PM   #20

If you install the MAFand you still have problems bring it ot the shop. I think we have all tried to guess the problem. Let them check the codes and hook it up to a diagnostic machine.

porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote