Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2007, 04:05 AM   #1

Got my alignment done! Fixed my bumpsteer!

I had a second alignment done in 6 months yesterday. This time I had it done by a friends shop that I do business with on a regular basis. I advised him that I had some bump-steer condition and asked them to check the entire front end for any loose components. The last time I got the alignment done, the car came back worse than before I took it. My steering wheel was off center which they said they couldnt fix and the car pulled to the left. Frustrating. This time, my buddy told me that the front end seemed tight and was torqued to spec. They also told me that the toe and tie rods were way out which could cause the bump-steer. I was skeptical until I drove home last night. I could tell before I left my parking lot that the steering felt tighter with less play. Hopefully this cured my loose front end woes.... I was going to order a steering rack and struts as a last resort!

A good alignment is definately worth its weight in gold!

AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:52 AM   #2
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOGUY
. My steering wheel was off center which they said they couldnt fix
This alone is enough to show that they're incompetent.

Did they give you an alignment spec sheet? Pulling after the alignment is inexcuseable.

Last edited by blue2000s; 04-13-2007 at 06:55 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:20 AM   #3

Hi,

Agreed! These cars use pretty flimsy suspension components (Alloy) compared to cars of yesteryear, primarily to save weight and increase Range.

Most people don't realize that there is no Service Interval on an alignment. Hit a Pothole, SpeedBump or even a Parking Curb on the way home from the Alignment Shop and you can throw the whole thing off again.

It is an As Needed item which should at least be checked Annually. This will insure that you're getting maximum wear from your Tires and that the car is properly controllable and a Pleasure to drive.

You should always get a printout from any Alignment and save them. This allows you to track any wear over time to the suspension components...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
It is an As Needed item which should at least be checked Annually.
darned right. i check mine three times a year and usually wind up setting it twice. potholes, etc. in atlanta are horrible. poor alignment will kill your tires, gas mileage, and handling (especially in the rain).

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:45 PM   #5

I did get a print out from the last alignment. It said the toe was in spec as was the rest of the front end. The lt rear camber was slightly out but not a worry. The spoke of the wheel was off... I was going to bring it back but decided to wait and get it redone elsewhere. It is very easy to set the toe on a car and manipulate the heads on the alignment machine to get a good print out.

Good to go now!

AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote