Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2007, 07:01 PM   #1

Picked up my project car

I finally found my project car on Thursday morning. I am currently on vacation in California and found the car In San Francisco while I was on my way so Southern California. It's a 1986 Carrera. It was in excellent condition and only has 111k miles. There really is nothing that needs to be done to it right now except drive it. The bad thing is that I had to leave the car at our friends house while we continued the family vacation. We will be picking it back up next Sat when we are heading back up to Seattle.

I'm excited to add a second Porsche to the garage. This is the car that I remember admiring when I was a kid. I even remember going on a test drive in one with my mom when I was younger. Just one of those cars that sticks in your mind. Now I have it and look forward to working on it.

-David

2001 Boxster S (sold)
19" SSR GT3 - Cross coilovers - Custom Magnaflow exhaust - B&M Short Shifter - EVO intake - GT3 Seats - Hardtop

http://www.emeraldcitycustoms.com/images/box2.jpg

1986 Carrera (sold)

Last edited by David_J; 03-25-2007 at 06:55 PM.
David_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:20 PM   #2

Very cool. May I ask what you paid for it? And did you get a PPI on it before you bought it?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:25 PM   #3

Man, David that looks like a really nice one. I love the polished Fuchs. Your idea of a project car looks quite a bit different from my idea of a project car. Enjoy it!
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet

Last edited by Grizzly; 03-25-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:30 PM   #4

Beautiful car. What "project"?
Z.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:48 PM   #5

I paid $16,250 for it. Low book was $16,600. Unfortunately I was not able to get a PPI done since I was buying it while on a road trip with my family. However, the person I purchased it from did get one last year when he purchased it. I know it isn't the same, but I do have the paperwork from his inspection. Carfax was clean and the inspection was normal for the year of the car. I can address any issues that may come up.

The "project" will be me doing whatever it takes to make it 1st class. An engine rebuild or new engine will be in store sometime. It may not be this year, but it will happen at some point. The exterior will probably be stripped and repainted with a high quality finish. The body is straight and it runs good for now. That is enough to get me down the road until I feel like ripping it apart. The interior was in excellent shape as well. No rips or tears. Heck, my stock Boxster seats are almost as worn down as the seats in this car.

I wanted something that I could drive for now, then slowly buy things for it to work on it. I still have my Boxster to work on too, so it will be a hard choice which one to buy for.

-David

2001 Boxster S (sold)
19" SSR GT3 - Cross coilovers - Custom Magnaflow exhaust - B&M Short Shifter - EVO intake - GT3 Seats - Hardtop

1986 Carrera (sold)
Old 03-24-2007, 08:48 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
damn man, thats nice.
i dont know if i would call a 16 thousand dollar car a project tho, that thing already looks done
ill have one of those too sometime
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page

Last edited by djomlas; 03-24-2007 at 09:05 PM.
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:03 PM   #7

Wow David, congratulations on the Carrera.... Looks like it was kept in great condition!

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:18 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Nice! I want to own a old school 911 someday.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:04 PM   #9

Hi,

You bought a pretty car, but no PPI? You've learned nothing here.

Older Porsches are even less reliable than the current models. You took a BIG gamble. Yea, you only paid $16k, but the most expensive Porsche to own usually turns out to be that one which was cheapest to buy.

I sincerely hope your gamble pays off. But as you say, it's a project. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a PROJECT.

I would recommend having a PPI done now anyway as a Baseline so you can prioritize your efforts and your $$. Don't naturally assume that if it drives OK, that it is OK. That climate can change very quickly. Good Luck...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:42 AM   #10

I love it! Best of luck. Whats the worst that can happen...you may have to spend some money on a car you bought for a "project" anyway. I am sure you expected to change some things and upgrade. That is a great picture!

Keep us posted on the process!
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:46 AM   #11
bmussatti

Very nice, David_J!!!
Old 03-25-2007, 05:35 AM   #12

Nice new ride, a PPI is always advised but since you called it a project it doesnt really matter . I have bought more than one without a PPI as I have a tendency to make emotional decisions about cars, which is why I have a yellow Boxster.

Last edited by thomschoon; 03-25-2007 at 10:17 AM.
thomschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:44 AM   #13

A PPI was next to impossible since I met the guy at 6:30am and was back on the road at 9:30 with the car. Since I bought it 800+ miles away from home, I was out of my territory. If the engine goes out, oh well. If the tranny goes out, oh well. That's why it is a project to me. I didn't buy the car for something that would last in it's current state, I bought it for fun. With summer getting closer, it might not get driven that much since I have the Boxster. Both my wife and I liked the older cars and wanted one to sink money into to enjoy. If I was concerned about the $$$ part of cars, I wouldn't have sunk over $15k into the Boxster in less than a year. Cars are fun to me and that is why I buy them. This car should be a fun project for us. I remember having posters on my wall of this car when I was growing up.

-David

2001 Boxster S (sold)

1986 Carrera (sold)
Old 03-25-2007, 07:56 AM   #14

Good for you David. Enjoy the car. Looks like a great ride. Put a few bucks into it and see what comes of it.

Your looking to put a new engine in it anyway so if it blows up what the hell. Just more reason to buy a higher HP motor for it when it does blow.

Again, enjoy the car..
RAZOR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:30 AM   #15

Sweet! I wish I had a project car like that!

Enjoy and good luck!
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:46 AM   #16

Beautiful car David. Goodluck and I hope you get all the enjoyment out of it that you are looking for.

Porsche was thinking of you (and probably many of us) when they made this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRbzJ0L1Zn8
Old 03-25-2007, 11:04 AM   #17

I'm just bummed that I won't see the car until next Saturday. I tried to talk my wife into letting me bring it to Southern Cali, but it would have been a hassle. I guess I will just have to wait.

-David

2001 Boxster S (sold)

1986 Carrera (sold)
Old 03-25-2007, 11:13 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
just curious, did u write the guy a check on the spot or what?
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:28 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J
A PPI was next to impossible since I met the guy at 6:30am and was back on the road at 9:30 with the car. Since I bought it 800+ miles away from home, I was out of my territory. If the engine goes out, oh well. If the tranny goes out, oh well. That's why it is a project to me. I didn't buy the car for something that would last in it's current state, I bought it for fun. With summer getting closer, it might not get driven that much since I have the Boxster. Both my wife and I liked the older cars and wanted one to sink money into to enjoy. If I was concerned about the $$$ part of cars, I wouldn't have sunk over $15k into the Boxster in less than a year. Cars are fun to me and that is why I buy them. This car should be a fun project for us. I remember having posters on my wall of this car when I was growing up.

-David
Good for you David! Enjoy the car! Some guys aren't happy unless they're pissing in someone else's Cheerios. Don't listen to them. A mechanical failure allows you the opportunity to install the exact component you want, and adds to your enjoyment by allowing you to fix it yourself. I tend to buy total junk projects, requiring a replacement of everything. That way, when I'm done, I know the car is done right. Have fun, my friend. I'm glad to see a childhood dream come to fruition.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Man, David that looks like a really nice one. I love the polished Fuchs. Your idea of a project car look quite a bit from my idea of a project car. Enjoy it!

jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote