Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2007, 05:38 AM   #1
bmussatti

Can't Pronounce Porsche!

During the games last night, they kept running a Pontiac commercial about their performance line-up being faster than a Porsche Boxster. But they are mis-pronouncing the name "Porsche" (only one syllable). You would think another car manufacturer would be able to get it right.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:20 AM   #2

I think most Americans pronounce it this way. It's just the way they were taught. Do you say Bur-lin or Bear-lin? Myoonik or Moon-chun? Most Europeans pronounce it as it is in German but we have our own way of doing things here apparently. I've seen some people really get their panties in a bunch over this. No need to in my opinion. I don't think people need to speak proper German here. I don't think either is right or wrong. Just 2 different ways of saying it. I'm sure I will get plenty of disagreement over this though.

Maybe we can get Dr. W to start doing some public service commercials-
"You vill say "PORSH-A" unt you vill like it!!!! hmmm wonder if Colonel Hockschtetter is still around....

It would be cool if there was someone from the sales departments at Pelican or Performance who reads this board could respond with what the percentage of Porsche people calling in use for their pronunciation.

Remember the "Jag-U-are" commercials a while back? Anybody notice that in the subsequent commercials they have gone over to the much more Americanized "Jag-War"

Besides-we are talking about Pontiac here. Who really listens to them anyway other than a bunch of Solstice buyers who are upset that they couldn't buy a Porsche? I think they are sharp little cars but they are no Boxsters.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:27 AM   #3

Homogenization (sp?)

I think these are just more examples of the evolving homogenizing and globalizing forces in a shrinking world. Regional diversity and truth of place are losing out.

For instance, I've noted local place names starting to be slaughtered in local commercials on TV. OK, so New England is famous for names that are pronounced "difficultly" for visitors (or sometimes even locals*) - "Leominster" is pronounced "Lemminsta" not "Leo-minster", "Worcester" is "Wustir" not "Worchester", etc. But locals should have it down.

But when local car ads start using obviously non-local voice overs, it is a bit much -- a long time local-family-owned Toyota dealership has been recently running ads for their place in Woburn with a slick "midwest" voice-over exhorting folks to visit them in "Whoah-burn" -- I'm sure the locals cringe to hear what should be pronounced "Wooooburn" said like that. Sure, the Toyota production crew probably recorded 200 local-customized variants on the ads that day ("what's the next one on the list?"), but how did the owners let the mistake get past their review?

*The really tough one for locals: "Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg" - most just give up and call it Webster lake.

Last edited by donv; 04-01-2007 at 07:33 AM.
donv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:54 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
yeah its funny how they pronounce it.
i am from europe so when i came here it was funny for me to hear word porsche, mercedes, volkswagen especially, i was like wtf is that? (couse i grew up saying/pronouncing it Folkswagen instead of Volkswagen couse of german prononciation), but yeah same with munich and other mentioned words.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
During the games last night, they kept running a Pontiac commercial about their performance line-up being faster than a Porsche Boxster. But they are mis-pronouncing the name "Porsche" (only one syllable). You would think another car manufacturer would be able to get it right.
My guess; most Americans say Porsche with only one syllable and Pontiac is an American car manufacturer.

Last edited by Adam; 04-01-2007 at 03:58 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 02:45 PM   #6

This might be the most important topic that we have ever had here on the forum!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:03 PM   #7

I almost missed my overnight train from Firenze (Florence) to Wien (Vienna) because I didn't know what the hell "Wien" was. Fortunately all of the porters in Italy speak excellent English and pointed a Yank in the right direction.

-James
jbarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:24 PM   #8

Hi,

I think you're all obsessing about a word.

Porsh, or Porsha what difference does it make? I could care less how many people pronounce it correctly or not - this isn't the Nat'l. Spelling Bee...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:13 AM   #9

I will be the first to admit it but I will even pronounce it the incorrect way. Personally, I dont care. This is how it is pronounced over here and that is how I say it here. When I lived in Germany I used to pronounce it the other way. It really doesn't matter. Language is not concrete and evolves over time as people in society see fit. There are many words and names that started out one way and ended up another. Realistic people accept this and move on.

-aren
aren040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:38 AM   #10

If Ferry says, "porsh-uh", it's Porsh-uh" :)

It's his name, how can you argue with that? This is how he pronounces it:

Prof. Dr. Ferry Porsche
BoxsterBob - CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Porsh, or Porsha what difference does it make? I could care less how many people pronounce it correctly or not - this isn't the Nat'l. Spelling Bee...

My thoughts exactly Jim.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:52 AM   #12

Ferry doesn't pronounce anything these days.

Ferry is dead!

Old 04-02-2007, 09:54 AM   #13
bmussatti

BoxsterBob sees dead people!
Old 04-02-2007, 10:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
BoxsterBob sees dead people!

Good one!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-02-2007, 10:15 AM   #15

Whenever I'm asked what type of car I have or what type of car this is...

I say it's a Boxster, I never say Porsche.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:21 AM   #16

I once dated this girl who was constantly correcting me about the pronunciation of Porsche. She kept telling me I was saying it wrong because her daddy use to own a 914 and always hated people for saying it wrong. I told her it really shouldn’t matter as long as you at least spell it right. And on that point, if we need to say it as “Porsch-a” instead of “Porsch-e”, shouldn’t there be an accent mark over the last letter “e”?

By the way, I dumped that girl for always wanting to be right.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Hi,

Actually it isnt a word it is someones name which is why as a matter of respect people should try to say it correctly. While here in the States such things are not as important, in Europe people still try and be polite, or as the Brits put it civilized.
thomschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:48 AM   #18
bmussatti

Quote:
Hi,

Hey Jim, how ya doing? I am a little surprised by your response!

First of all, I am not obsessing. I do obsess about stuff, but not things like this. Just observations while watching my 2 picks make it to the Championship game.

I am a bit of a perfectionist...and sense that you too. It's a good thing...I keep telling myself...and whoever else will listen to me.

I would just think that Pontiac would get it right. That's all.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:58 AM   #19

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
If i heard someone with an american accent say Porsh'a.... I'd call them a douche bag, it just sounds too rehursed and pompus to hear that in SoCal anyway.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
If i heard someone with an american accent say Porsh'a.... I'd call them a douche bag, it just sounds too r

ehursed and pompus to hear that in SoCal anyway.
Doush'a bag????????