Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2007, 08:16 PM   #1

Need Help! Key is locked in the car cant find spare.

I had my car detailed today with the Finish Kare products I got for Christmas. I got a call from the detailer and he has locked my key in the trunk along with the rest of the car. I have turned my house upside down looking for the spare. Now my car is sitting in a parking lot fully clean with the key locked in the trunk!

Question is, can I just get a valet key cut to open the door and get the main key? If so, any idea how much this would cost.

Thanks.

AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:39 PM   #2

first off if i were you the detailer would be paying for what ever happens but usualy you can pull the door window out with light force and slide a ruber wedge in. hmm any tow truck driver would know i was a lock smith for one year and we did it many times to norman cars but for a convertible theres no padding so you have to do it fron the back top right of driver window and with a 1/4 or smaller rod push the inside door lock and open button with a normal car there is a 1/4 inch rod that you use to lift the lock witch boxsters dont have so i would try the center consol button all try to get some pics of what to do 2 moro if you dont get any where. but any tow truck driver or locksmith should be able to do it very simple takes about 20 seconds pull window slide rubber wedge insert rod in the wedge

ps:the window should pop out of the cill its like when you open the door with out a battery it just uses some force to get it to pop open dont use to much force tho I would just call caa or in the US aaa? umm just incase here its free for a call

exactly like this here just there is no lock to pull so press center button
http://www.hightechtools.com/catalog.php?catid=1&objectid=21&productid=21

hope that helps good luck

Last edited by bosxter7; 02-10-2007 at 08:42 PM.
bosxter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:48 PM   #3

Hi,

Sorry for your trouble. Seems like we have our 1st Guinea Pig - http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9402

If not, just get a locksmith and charge it back to the detailer. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:10 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
damn it Jim, i was looking to find that thread, couldnt remember the title...

but yea id like to see if this works too, sounds interesting
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 10:22 PM   #5
boggtown

well, which trunk is it? id try to pull those cables (trunk release cables) and just get the key.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:42 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i think he said the whole car is locked, so pull what cable?
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:02 AM   #7

All you need is the metal part/shank to get in. I forget how much I paid. Call you dealer. It can be made from your VIN.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:23 AM   #8

Or, a tow truck guy might have this tool. Shown on a 996, but have been told it also works on a Box.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:57 AM   #9

Thanks boys! I do have Emergency Lockout Coverage on my Geico policy and am calling them this morning. I am fairly confident a Locksmith will be able to use a Lockout kit to get in. I am more upset that I cant find my spare... I usually dont lose things. As for charging the dealer for the service... I am the dealer. I work there and the guy that detailed my car is an employee.

That damn car better be look excellent!

I will take some pix of the escapade for fun!

I guess worse case is I will have to buy a key blank and get my buddy at Porsche to have it cut for me. I will just be embarrased that my car is sitting in the middle of the parking lot on a Monday morning clean and locked!
Old 02-11-2007, 04:01 AM   #10

By the way, the tennis ball thing looks totally bogus!
Did you guys notice the dent around the lock cylinder. I wonder how many times they did this. Even if this were to blow the tumblers up inside the lock, it still requires turning to actuate the lock. Funny though!
Old 02-11-2007, 06:54 AM   #11

Excellent news! The towing company arrived and I knew the driver thru prior business. He advised that he has "broken into" a few Porsches in his day. The most difficult part of the operation was to drive the plastic wedge between the door glass and the inner-most weatherstrip of the top. This took about 5 minutes of careful manipulation. Once the door tool was into the cabin of the car, I guided him from the other side until he hooked the interior door handle. Once I saw the door handle moving, I knew it was a matter of time before we were in. My wife watched in horror from the other car thinking "this is going to be an awful day if they dont get in". A few more tries and the ex-con slash lockout assistance rep was in. The door popped open and I was able to click the rear trunk open and retrieve my keys...
Thru Geico insurance, no charge for this service by the way!!

On a positive note, the detailing job was excellent! I will post some pix shortly.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 02-11-2007, 09:05 AM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I'm glad all ended well for you.

Not long ago I accidentally locked the keys in the bonnet at Target. I was with my fiance and she gave me 'the look' then suggested we walk home to get the spare. It was about 6 miles and I knew she'd be too tired and it would take too much time so I called a cab. $15 and 30 minutes later we were back at the Porsche and got her open.

Point of the story: locking your keys in the car happens, and it sucks.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:27 AM   #13

I bet you have a shiny new spare key as a result of this?

Since your detailing guy did it, you can't take this personally, but I consider cars with keyless entry to be 'idiot-proof'... because you REALLY have to be, uhh... stupid... to lock your keys in the car. However, of course, the trunks to present a little of an exception... I think I set my key down in the rear trunk once already, and thought 'if I close this, I might not be able to get my key out!' Luckily the driver's door was open, as I was doing some cleaning in the car.

I still do need to get a spare key... or at least a complete new key with remote, so I can relegate my current well worn key to backup duty.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:36 AM   #14

Fray,
I am with you on that one... how the hell do you lock a key in the trunk of the car? The detailer claims that the car "locked itself" . If anyone has ever had their car do this, let me know. I believe that he probably hit the lock button trying to unlock the rear hatch. After the hatch opened, he was so proud of himself that he found the right button, he forgot that he had already locked the rest of the car. Duh.

I suppose that I will get a spare key some time soon.
He should clean the car again for me some time for free.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:23 PM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I don't know the exact details of why, but I've noticed that when I use the fob to open the bonnet or boot, then close either one without opening the car doors the car locks itself again. That's how I locked the key in the bonnet. *shrug*

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:31 PM   #16

I know thieves and vandals can get in with a sharp knife, But didn't know it was THAT easy to get in otherwise. Glad to know the technique. Sooooo sorry that sooooo many others know it also.

Wonder if slim jims work? Why bother I guess.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 02:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOGUY
Fray,
I am with you on that one... how the hell do you lock a key in the trunk of the car? The detailer claims that the car "locked itself" . If anyone has ever had their car do this, let me know. I believe that he probably hit the lock button trying to unlock the rear hatch. After the hatch opened, he was so proud of himself that he found the right button, he forgot that he had already locked the rest of the car. Duh.

I suppose that I will get a spare key some time soon.
He should clean the car again for me some time for free.
Hi,

If the fob is used to unlock the doors, and the door isn't physically opened within 60sec., the whole system re-locks and re-arms. So, it's quite possible that the detailer was correct...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 04:10 PM   #18

That's gotta be it Jim. I figured you would have an explanation. It is a "dumb smart" system. The good news is that it is possible and quite easy to "break into" the Boxster without causing any physical damage.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:25 PM   #19
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
It's the same for all cars, locks are for honest people.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:21 PM   #20

It could have been worse

You actually got lucky.
Almost the same happened to me last year when I was at Porscheplatz parking at the American LeMans race in Laguna Seca.
I opened the rear trunk to throw in my jacket (it was a nice and sunny day). Unfortunately I also threw in the keys...
I closed the trunk and the car auto-locked itself after 30 seconds.
In my case after AAA had opened the doors I was still out of luck as the car had sensed that it was "broken into" and disabled ALL buttons. So I could NOT open the rear trunk and get to the keys. (And the alarm was blaring to everyone's annoyance). Did I mention that I also locked my wallet and my cell phone in the trunk?
Long story short: I finally found a very nice Porsche owner (Gerry from Santa Barbara) to drive me from Laguna to my home in San Carlos (where I had my spare key) and back to Laguna.

2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote