Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2004, 09:13 AM   #1
Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chillinrfc Send a message via Yahoo to chillinrfc
Wind deflecting and rollbars

My boxster came with the wind deflector that is located in between the seat/rollbars. Porsche also has the winddeflectors that come with the addition coverage for behind the seat/rollbars themselves. I believe these are not solid and kind of mesh.

Do the additional coverage behind the seats help? Also, do you know of a third-party that makes deflectors behind the seat? Would a solid piece be better than the mesh style?

Thanks

chillinrfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 11:54 AM   #2

There should be all 3 pieces. Do not know of any aftermarket source for the black plastic mesh that goes into the rollbar hoops.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 12:41 PM   #3

The rollbar mesh does make a difference, but it also significantly impacts visibility with the top down. A clear lexan insert instead of the mesh would be ideal for visibility, but I've not seen any on the market.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:47 PM   #4

The mesh inserts in the roll hoops provide about 1/2-2/3 the wind protection. If I didn't already have both, I would consider just the mesh inserts and forget the windshield as they snap in with no modifications. I usually drive with both, but also drive with just the mesh roll hoop inserts. I prefer the mesh filled look to 'naked' roll hoops on other cars.

Installing the center (clear) wind deflector on a car that never had one includes prying off the rollbar padding and adding mounting brackets to the roll hoops. If you buy a wind deflector on ebay-make sure you get the mounting brackets. Installing the mounting hardware can be done in less than an hour, but that is much more time than the 10 seconds for the roll hoop inserts.

I don't find that the mesh impacts rear visibility at all. Not when turning my head, not when using the mirrors. Your experience may vary based upon your height and seating position.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 07:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by Ad Sach
I don't find that the mesh impacts rear visibility at all. Not when turning my head, not when using the mirrors. Your experience may vary based upon your height and seating position.
Yes, seating position definitely impacts. In my case I'm tall, leading to a "seat lowered and back" position for the driver; normal passenger is short, leading to a "seat forward" position. I end up with the seat's back and the hoop mesh each separately blocking view over the right rear corner/quarter - basically, doubling the blockage. In a rectilinear world this would be no issue, but in New England - where your intersections come in all sorts of interesting shapes - this can make for some interesting traffic situations that the mirrors are no help with.

Because of this, I've often wondered why Porsche didn't angle the holes on the hoop mesh to provide a straight through vision from either seat through the opposite mesh panel, much like the effect of realigning the slats of a window blind... it would still look "dark" from the rear then, and still provide the flow-through air, but vision would be much improved.
donv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 05:20 AM   #6

I don't have the mesh inserts on mine and I find that the wind deflection is just about right with just the wind deflector in the middle and the windows up. Much better in that respect than other cars when it comes to wind turbulence in the cockpit. I like the looks of the mesh, but I also hear they can fly out sometimes at high speeds.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 09:51 AM   #7

The only time I ever had a mesh rool hoop insert come out was when I put on the brakes after an autocross with my harness on. The harness wraps around the rollhoop so the strain popped it out.

I've heard of more problems with the windscreen popping out at speed. Speed doesn't seem to dislodge my air deflectors! !
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 10:10 AM   #8

I have the mesh inserts, but they rattle against the metal rollbar. The inserts are hard plastic with three integral clips. Each clip has a soft "rubber" pad which, I suppose, is to isolate the plastic from coming into contact with the metal rollbar. Some of these "rubber" pads have moved, but not enough I thought to cause the rattle.

Does anyone else have this problem and how did you fix it?
Hunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 12:14 PM   #9

The rattle you probably hear; like myself. Is the clear wind deflector.

I have come to accept it, it's in there right it just rattles from the variable wind currents.

Scott
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 01:09 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Richard Truss
i lost one of my mesh seat screens on the road somewhere -- how does that happen? anyway, i dont like the look of it without them in there. I keep searching ebay... but so far to no avail (there are a few on right now but they come with the window thing, and i dont need that). :dance:
Old 08-30-2004, 03:41 PM   #11

They can fly out of the car. I have been on 2 drives and when we arrived they were gone.

Fishline.

And they are not cheap.

In the old days Porsche would give you a new one under warranty.

Also check under the top to see if it got stuck in there.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 03:42 PM   #12

get some stick on velcro and just use the soft side on the 3 tabs of the mesh insert.

It stopped mine from rattling. Should also work on the bottom of the windscreen.
selbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 05:06 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Richard Truss
well, i have put the top up and down many times since then -- and actually it getting stuck under the top was my first thought as well.

oh well. i only need one. do they sell these individually? or only in pairs?
Old 08-30-2004, 05:23 PM   #14

Rich,

You said it, I have found them on E bay singles and pairs.

I will let you know if I see them.

I have never heard mine rattle, only the plexiglas wind stop.

Scott

mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote