View Single Post
Old 05-12-2004, 07:20 AM   #5
donv

Quote:
Originally posted by Ad Sach
I don't find that the mesh impacts rear visibility at all. Not when turning my head, not when using the mirrors. Your experience may vary based upon your height and seating position.
Yes, seating position definitely impacts. In my case I'm tall, leading to a "seat lowered and back" position for the driver; normal passenger is short, leading to a "seat forward" position. I end up with the seat's back and the hoop mesh each separately blocking view over the right rear corner/quarter - basically, doubling the blockage. In a rectilinear world this would be no issue, but in New England - where your intersections come in all sorts of interesting shapes - this can make for some interesting traffic situations that the mirrors are no help with.

Because of this, I've often wondered why Porsche didn't angle the holes on the hoop mesh to provide a straight through vision from either seat through the opposite mesh panel, much like the effect of realigning the slats of a window blind... it would still look "dark" from the rear then, and still provide the flow-through air, but vision would be much improved.
donv is offline   Reply With Quote