Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2007, 03:19 PM   #1

Wheel Center Opinions

Porsche center caps do not fit my rims, so I had two sets of blank center caps made, one brushed aluminum and one polished aluminum. I'm going to use whichever set looks better. I plan to mount painted crests to the blank centers. My question is, should I use gold or silver crests? The car has a very silver appearance with the silver paint, wheels, and clear lights, so in that regard, I think the silver would look better. However, my hood and airbag crests are gold. Are there any rules on mixing crests, like wearing white after Labor Day? Your thoughts, please.

...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:41 PM   #2

Go for the gold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Porsche center caps do not fit my rims, so I had two sets of blank center caps made, one brushed aluminum and one polished aluminum. I'm going to use whichever set looks better. I plan to mount painted crests to the blank centers. My question is, should I use gold or silver crests? The car has a very silver appearance with the silver paint, wheels, and clear lights, so in that regard, I think the silver would look better. However, my hood and airbag crests are gold. Are there any rules on mixing crests, like wearing white after Labor Day? Your thoughts, please.

I'd go with the gold. It's a nice, subtle addition and ties in your other crests. And with everything else silver, I personally think they would 'pop' Did you buy your Boxster used and if so how many miles were on it, and have you had any major problems with it?
icedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:42 PM   #3

I think the gold is traditional, and the silver adds a new higher tech look to the car. I think your car would look good with the silver, not only because of the color, but because you opted to change over to non-porsche wheels, and are trying to be different. So go for the silver, but then you should go for the hood and steering wheel too, IMHO.
Gemballa red face gauges ..(FOR SALE)

http://i28.tinypic.com/2zzlq29.jpg
986speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:45 PM   #4

I think the silver would look sharp, the gold would seem out of place on your wheels. You can always change the hood emblem later.

I love the polished or machined look of your rims. I have wondered could my factory ones be re-done with that finish.

Last edited by SC986; 03-21-2007 at 04:40 PM.
SC986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC986
I love the polished or machined look of your rims. I have wondered could my factory ones re-done with that finish.
The finish on the spokes is called hyper-silver and it's available in powdercoat, so yes, you could have yours re-done just like them. Thanks for the compliment.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedude
Did you buy your Boxster used and if so how many miles were on it, and have you had any major problems with it?
Yes, I bought it when it was 9 years old. It had 36,000 miles on it and I've had no problems at all...yet.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:28 PM   #7

Definitely silver in my opinion...I think it will work real well with the look of those (way to large for the 986) wheels you have there...Lol...of course I jest, I actually like those wheels alot...but again I think the silver will look great.
Stock w/19" Wheels, stealth K40 front and rear

Last edited by Boxter; 03-21-2007 at 05:48 PM.
Boxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:36 PM   #8
bmussatti

Grizzly, my vote is to stay consistent with the current crests, which are gold. Now, if you changed the hood crest to silver, I'd say go silver. The steering wheel crest is less of an issue, since this in an interior detail.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:44 PM   #9
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986speedster
So go for the silver, but then you should go for the hood and steering wheel too, IMHO.

Ditto.

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:53 PM   #10

I'm soooooo confuuuuuused!!!

I think I like the silver and I agree that if I go that route I'll have to change to hood crest as well...but I am so not trying to spend $130 on a new hood crest.

Last edited by Grizzly; 03-21-2007 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:58 PM   #11

Wink

I plan to mount painted crests to the blank centers. My question is, should I use gold or silver crests? The car has a very silver appearance with the silver paint, wheels, and clear lights, so in that regard, I think the silver would look better. However, my hood and airbag crests are gold

Griz, either would look fine, just be consistent on the outside of the car. The steering wheel is really optional as another member points out. Those rims look REALLY good on your car. Now get yourself chrome roundhead wheel bolts to finish the look off. I really am taken with the chrome bolts as you may have noted but I am put off by those unfinished looking stock bolts and will never understand why the factory didn't do a better job with the bolts. Just my opinion and you know how we all have them plus there is no accounting for taste.

986geezer
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:08 PM   #12

Those lugbolts are brand new. The ones that were on the car were hideous. In retrospect, I wish I had chosen the chrome ones. Maybe down the road.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:10 PM   #13

I agree that the $130 is a bit much...but it will only enhance the updated look your 97 already has.
Stock w/19" Wheels, stealth K40 front and rear
Boxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:19 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Silver Hood Crest is not $130. Performance products sells it for $80. I've even seen them sell on ebay for less than that.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
Silver Hood Crest is not $130. Performance products sells it for $80. I've even seen them sell on ebay for less than that.
Thanks. I'll check Performance Products. All the ones I've seen were $130.00+
Old 03-22-2007, 07:02 AM   #16

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Those lugbolts are brand new. The ones that were on the car were hideous. In retrospect, I wish I had chosen the chrome ones. Maybe down the road.

They do look better than most stock bolts I have seen. Most have a dull grey with a sprinkling of rust look. Hell man, if you are going to continue to cheat death on those 19" pothole busters, get the chrome bolts ($99.00 a full set of 20 from Vertex) and cheat the devil in grand style.

986geezer
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:12 AM   #17
boggtown

I got my 20 chrome bolts from my local tire shop (they ordered them) for 75$ That includes 10 longer bolts for the rear. They even have a conical taper for the new rims I bought so it seats correctly too. Id try that first, no shipping either.