Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #1

Pre Owned Pricing

Hi...first time poster here, but I have been lurking for a while.

I have found several older posts about price vs MSRP on new boxsters (5% off seems to be good, 10% off is extraordinary, but the dealer's willingness to bargain depends a lot based on the time of year).

I'm wondering how flexible dealers are on their Certified Pre Owned pricing. Anybody have experience with that? Or do they try to stick to the asking price?

I was looking at some of the CPO Boxsters from the Porsche website, and their prices seemed really high, so I wonder if they leave room to bargain. For example, they have a 2006 S with 5505 miles on it for $59,997, which is $457 more than a new 2007 priced out with the identical options.

Joe

Cary, NC

TorpedoZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:42 AM   #2
bmussatti

Hi Joe, are you sure about your last sentance? That does not appear to be correct.

Although, some 2006 options cost more than they did for the 2007 (paint colors for example). What color is the car? Plus, the warranty cost $$ too.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:11 PM   #3

If you are going to spend $59K, might as well buy new and get exactly what you want. I bought my car used, but not at a Porsche dealer, seems like I got a better price doing that.

I bought a 2005 Boxster S with only 300 miles on it for $51K last Spring. Same car new was over $60K. It was at a Chrysler dealer.

If you are buying a 987 model (2005 or newer), you don't really need the certification, since it will still be under warranty any how.

Just have the car inspected at a Porsche dealer before you pull the trigger.

Time of year does play a role as well.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpedoZone
I'm wondering how flexible dealers are on their Certified Pre Owned pricing. Anybody have experience with that? Or do they try to stick to the asking price?

I was looking at some of the CPO Boxsters from the Porsche website, and their prices seemed really high, so I wonder if they leave room to bargain. For example, they have a 2006 S with 5505 miles on it for $59,997, which is $457 more than a new 2007 priced out with the identical options.
That's way too much for a used 06 S. Look at the CPO price like you would look at a MSRP on a new car. There should definitely be some space to negotiate.

The problem with used cars is that it's very hard to compare inventory at competing dealers as each used car comes with its own story. Much simpler with new cars (not demos). Just blanket the dealers in a 200 mile radius with a "Request for Quote" on a desired car (color, options) and see what they come back with. Let the market speak to you. Anything you'll hear on this forum will be customer/region/season-specific and not necessarily applicable to your situation.

Z.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpedoZone
Hi ...I was looking at some of the CPO Boxsters from the Porsche website, and their prices seemed really high...
High prices at a dealer? surely you jest! Sorry couldn't resist. But in general I think you will find dealers charge a premuim, even for used cars. As someone mentioned, region/geographic location, time of year, sales goals, arrival of "new cars" all will impact a dealers willingness to get a car sold.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:52 PM   #6

I didn't make that stuff up! It came up on on the preowned search from the Porsche website at Rusnak/Westlake in CA. I pasted the info below. Don't worry about my sanity, I wouldn't consider buying a used car for more than a new one, but I just wonder why would they would even ask so much it in the first place. Maybe they need a lot of wiggle room built into the price. If I'm going to drop 60k, I'm going to get exactly what I want!

Joe

2006 Porsche Boxster S, $ 59,997
Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle
Save vehicle
Car data
Displacement: 3.2 liters
Power Output: 280 HP
Drive Type: 2-WD
Transmission: Manual
Color: Black

Vehicle Ident Number: WP0CB29886U730073
Color (Interior): Sand Beige Standard Leather
Mileage: 5,505 Miles
Year: 2006
Price: $ 59,997
Installed Options

* 18 inch Boxster S wheel
* BOSEŽ Surround Sound System
* Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package
* Heated Front Seats

* Porsche Crest in Headrest
* Porsche Windstop (Deflector)
* Self-Dim Mirrors & Rain Sensors
* Wheel caps with Colored Crest
Old 03-21-2007, 05:15 AM   #7

Smile

Most Porsche dealers will deal on the CPO cars but in the end, you will still pay about $5K over what you would pay to a private party for the same car.

Whether this is "worth it" to you depends on many factors.

In this case, new seems like a better way to go.

Nothing that the dealers do in the area of pricing surprises me. They have quite an attitude about themselves.

Good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:19 AM   #8

With regard to that particular car, it's currently priced at $48,877 which is obviously closer to what one would expect. The prices for preowned vehicles on Porsche's website are not updated to reflect dealer actions and I'd imagine are stale across the board. Amusingly, it's also managed to shed a few miles off the odometer.

Porsche Pre-owned Price

Current Price

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky

Last edited by SD987; 03-21-2007 at 09:22 AM.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:51 AM   #9

The CPO costs the dealer

around $1500-1600 to Porsche and 2 hours labor at his cost on a car with this few miles.

Dealers prices are typically $3k higher than private and dealers typically ask $3500-4000 more for the CPO. So that means you'd be paying at least $6500-7000 or so more for the privledge of buying this dealer's car.

Why would you do that when www.cars.com lists at least a dozen 2006 S cars with less than 10k miles for less than $50k. And with 3 years worth of warranty left, the value of the CPO diminishes because your lifestyle may change and you may not own this car 3 years from now. Does happen.

Do lots of research on comparable cars, know what the market really is, be prepared to show the dealer why your offer is reasonable, be prepared to walk out if they don't agree. If they have your phone number, they will call. There are dozens of Porsches just like you want out there, the trick is to find the right one and a motivated seller. P-cars are what I call lifestyle cars and people's lives change (kids, marriage, divorce, house, illness, retirement, etc) so many good ones come on the market. Don't fall in love with this one, there is a better one just down the street.

If I were buying, I'd wait till winter as the bargains are always the best from a private party in the winter when there are no buyers lining up at his door. He has to sell (for whatever reason) and that provides the motivation to set a reasonable price.

Following this sort of strategy, I've never failed to pay $3k less than the private party market price for my 2 Boxsters.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:34 PM   #10

That seems like a much better deal now...I wonder if the first price was a typo. Thanks for all the insight on pricing.

Joe
Old 03-21-2007, 04:09 PM   #11

Joe,

Were you planning to drive it home if you bought it? You'd almost add 50% to the mileage. But it would be fun.

Do you work for SAS Inst?

Terry
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:34 PM   #12

I was surfing the preowned cars on the Porsche site, and I was just bringing that one up as an example of pricing that made no sense ($60k for a used one, WTF?) I'm interested in a preowned Boxster, but at a better price! Now that you bring it up, the idea of a cross country road trip sounds pretty good! But then you'd ahve all those bugs on the bumper to scrape off...

I dont work for SAS, but they are just around the corner from me here in Cary. The guy who is the head of SAS owns the country club I belong to.

Joe
Old 03-21-2007, 06:07 PM   #13

Jim Goodnight probably owns a lot of stuff in Cary. I support 400 SAS users at the place I collect my paychecks. Great software. Tell Jim hello when you see him on the back 9.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:40 PM   #14

Yeah, Jim Goodnight owns a lot of this town. I don't know him, but I have heard he's very nice. Maybe I have been sucking up to the wrong people...

Joe