View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 11:51 AM   #9
mikefocke

The CPO costs the dealer

around $1500-1600 to Porsche and 2 hours labor at his cost on a car with this few miles.

Dealers prices are typically $3k higher than private and dealers typically ask $3500-4000 more for the CPO. So that means you'd be paying at least $6500-7000 or so more for the privledge of buying this dealer's car.

Why would you do that when www.cars.com lists at least a dozen 2006 S cars with less than 10k miles for less than $50k. And with 3 years worth of warranty left, the value of the CPO diminishes because your lifestyle may change and you may not own this car 3 years from now. Does happen.

Do lots of research on comparable cars, know what the market really is, be prepared to show the dealer why your offer is reasonable, be prepared to walk out if they don't agree. If they have your phone number, they will call. There are dozens of Porsches just like you want out there, the trick is to find the right one and a motivated seller. P-cars are what I call lifestyle cars and people's lives change (kids, marriage, divorce, house, illness, retirement, etc) so many good ones come on the market. Don't fall in love with this one, there is a better one just down the street.

If I were buying, I'd wait till winter as the bargains are always the best from a private party in the winter when there are no buyers lining up at his door. He has to sell (for whatever reason) and that provides the motivation to set a reasonable price.

Following this sort of strategy, I've never failed to pay $3k less than the private party market price for my 2 Boxsters.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote