Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2007, 05:02 PM   #1

Unhappy Monday blues- and a clutch what happened?

Well seeing everyone is in a bad mood and dumping on our beloved cops I had the worst day possible but thank goodness the finest had no part on this debacle. I pull out of my driveway I get a flat- phillips screw, oops new tire. I call AAA wait for the alloted time where upon I called back to be told the tow truck was there and that the fellow had called me twice and no one answered so he left. Now the fuse was lit. I was more than happy to inform AAA that no such thing happened and that the operator of the tow truck was a f****** liar. Wow calm down we are all adults here but some with less cranial matter than others. Just then tow truck shows up now I can yell at the guy, I start immediately then I noticed is a different company yes I had to eat crow and I apologized to the guy that turned up to be a nice guy.
Little did I know that this was the better part of the day. I bring the car to Porsche and leave with a loaner. I get a call from the dealer that was the time I saw a laser designator on my wallet. Mr Pilot you need a new tire possible a second one because he thought he had seen another nail, I forgot you also need a new clutch, maybe a flywheel I saw the dollars flying out of my wallet faster than a leaking dam about to burst. Oh by the way the engine seals are leaking too but that work is under the warranty. I am still puzzled about the clutch. I've driven practically stick shift all my life and I have never worn out a clutch in 35K. The fellow at Porsche tells me that the clutch is a racing clutch and being such they are not as durable as other types of clutch. I had an Audi 90 Quattro with 135K on the original clutch and most city driving in traffic jams so to me this 35 K clutch is a new one and quite puzzling. I estimate all of the damage is going to be around $2,000. When I got to work 4 hours later,at 12, I was told we landed a multi-million dollar school project. I was dragging my sorry butt and I quipped we need a bigger project. Monday Monday can't trust that day.................. The M & P were right. Are the P clutch so crappy that they last only 35K miles? Let me know your opinion on this matter.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:33 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
dang man,
but then again, monday is a worst day for MEN in general as studies have shown, so no suprises hehe

hope u get her back on road soon
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:38 PM   #3

FWIW...we're at 87K miles on the original clutch on a DD that is in stop-n-go traffic every day. Unless it came with a completely different clutch pad material, 35K is way too early to be needing a clutch. Even the racing clutch that was on the 928 lasted 80K miles. I'd ask them to split it with you since you've gotten less than half the distance from it.

Hope it all goes well for you.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:38 PM   #4
bmussatti

Pilot, what did you get as a loaner? If you like it a lot...call the dealer back...and kindly tell them you have executed an even trade!
Old 03-19-2007, 05:39 PM   #5
boggtown

Hmm, id get a second opinion on the clutch. Other than that.... it could be worse.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Pilot, what did you get as a loaner? If you like it a lot...call the dealer back...and kindly tell them you have executed an even trade!
They must have known they gave me an KIA SUV
Old 03-19-2007, 05:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
Hmm, id get a second opinion on the clutch. Other than that.... it could be worse.
The thing that bothered me was that he said the clutch was hard and I told him its been like that since I bought it. I did not notice any slippage or any symptoms indicating a bad clutch. I am calling him tomorrow first thing to make sure that this is the case. Right now is gnawing at me.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:00 PM   #8

I had a Porsche mechanic tell me my clutch was gone too becuase he said it was very "tight". This was 14,000 miles ago! Never any slipping or problems. I say drive it till it does go...I'm looking forward to another 14,000 on this "bad" clutch!
Old 03-19-2007, 06:07 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
yea ths too early for a clutch to go, and by your described driving style, it probably isnt,
i also agree, drive it as is untill YOU notice the bad clutch.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:16 PM   #10
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I call BS on the clutch needing to be replaced. My dealer told me I had to replace my clutch at my 30K service a couple of years ago. Since the clutch wasn't slipping at all, I told them I'm gonna hold off until the clutch dies on me. Now at close to 50K miles, my clutch is still going strong. If your clutch is stiff, just bleed the clutch fluid, and it will get smoother. Needless to say, that dealer is no longer my dealer anymore. Don't get duped. The service mgr. makes money from writing up more jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2519j
Well seeing everyone is in a bad mood and dumping on our beloved cops I had the worst day possible but thank goodness the finest had no part on this debacle. I pull out of my driveway I get a flat- phillips screw, oops new tire. I call AAA wait for the alloted time where upon I called back to be told the tow truck was there and that the fellow had called me twice and no one answered so he left. Now the fuse was lit. I was more than happy to inform AAA that no such thing happened and that the operator of the tow truck was a f****** liar. Wow calm down we are all adults here but some with less cranial matter than others. Just then tow truck shows up now I can yell at the guy, I start immediately then I noticed is a different company yes I had to eat crow and I apologized to the guy that turned up to be a nice guy.
Little did I know that this was the better part of the day. I bring the car to Porsche and leave with a loaner. I get a call from the dealer that was the time I saw a laser designator on my wallet. Mr Pilot you need a new tire possible a second one because he thought he had seen another nail, I forgot you also need a new clutch, maybe a flywheel I saw the dollars flying out of my wallet faster than a leaking dam about to burst. Oh by the way the engine seals are leaking too but that work is under the warranty. I am still puzzled about the clutch. I've driven practically stick shift all my life and I have never worn out a clutch in 35K. The fellow at Porsche tells me that the clutch is a racing clutch and being such they are not as durable as other types of clutch. I had an Audi 90 Quattro with 135K on the original clutch and most city driving in traffic jams so to me this 35 K clutch is a new one and quite puzzling. I estimate all of the damage is going to be around $2,000. When I got to work 4 hours later,at 12, I was told we landed a multi-million dollar school project. I was dragging my sorry butt and I quipped we need a bigger project. Monday Monday can't trust that day.................. The M & P were right. Are the P clutch so crappy that they last only 35K miles? Let me know your opinion on this matter.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote