Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2007, 02:25 AM   #1

Fitting a new steering wheel

Hello, I've recently got a 1998 Boxster 2.5 and its got the four spoke steering wheel that is worn. Can it be replaced with the three spoke wheel? If so, are the airbag connections interchangeable and will the car not need to go into the dealer to reset the airbag lights?

Thanks.

martmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:22 AM   #2

yes, you can change the the steering wheel from a four spoke to a three spoke but your going to have to buy a three spoke with airbag since the other will not fit. Before, I removed my steering wheel I disconnected the battery for 45 mins or so. Some people say you only have disconnect it for like 5 mins before you start working on it. Just so i am clear you need to keep the battery disconnected while working on the steering and after everything is put back to together then you connect the battery. You could find a 3 spoke with airbag on ebay price vary and also 4 spoke ones with low miles for dirt cheap. I bought one that came from boxster that had 6k miles before the guy changed for a three spoke. Also, you can remove the old airbag which is held by 4 bolts and reuse it. I hope that this has helped you
clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:14 AM   #3

thanks for your reply. I assume you had no problems with the airbag light when fitting the new airbag?
Old 03-20-2007, 07:43 PM   #4

I have a 1997 that came with the standard 4 spoke. This actually came over from the 993.

About 6 years ago I replaced it with a 3 spoke from a local 2000 S that was being converted to a track car. That is the silver crest 3 spoke in the picture.

You disconnect the battery first. With a UK car and the alarm siren you need to turn the key on first and then disconnect the battery or the siren will go off.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:59 AM   #5

Thanks - you've put my mind at rest - all I need to do now is find a three spoke wheel.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by martmart
Thanks - you've put my mind at rest - all I need to do now is find a three spoke wheel.
... and an airbag for a 3 spoke wheel.

This was one of my first mods. Only takes about 15 minutes if you have the right size socket for the massive bolt that holds the wheel on.

However, it took me nearly a year to find the 3 spoke wheel used on ebay in good condition and then another five months to find the airbag at a reasonable price.

The going rate for a pre-owned 3 spoke wheel and airbag in the US is nearly $600, and can go up to $800 easily.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote