Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2007, 10:02 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
MP-5. I've been carrying one since we transitioned away from the uzi in the late 80's. Others on the team carry the P-90. I did some testing on a new experimental weapon last year, but by the time the Government makes the switch, I'll be retired and dead.
Are you talking about the G-36 or its variant the 416? Or is this something complteley new?

jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:07 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
I'd likely aim for the head with the first 2 rounds and unload the next 8 rounds into the body, Im pretty sure i could stop any burgler unless they are on PCP, then ill have to wrestle that mofo down... wonder if they make a knife attachment for my utility rail on the 22.?
that might work, but why count on 10 shots for a kill when a single fist-sized hole from a '45 would likely do a bit better?

I am not great with a pistol, but could probably pull off the 10 shots you mention rapid fire at a target range, but in my house, in the dark, with my heart pumping at 160BPM or whatever while scared out of my mind, I am not sure. Also, what do you do to the second guy after putting 10 rounds in the first?

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:17 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsquire
Are you talking about the G-36 or its variant the 416? Or is this something complteley new?
You mean what was I testing? It was a modified version of the Tavor or TAR21. It's an Isreali Bullpup and I fell in love with it. But, by the time the agency commits I'll be a shriveled up old man.

C.J., you crack me up dude! Please don't try to wrestle a guy on PCP. Been there done that. He will definitely bring the pain upon your ass!
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:29 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kill
Also, what do you do to the second guy after putting 10 rounds in the first?
Good point doc.

Here's a funny link. It's a Philadelphia Police Officer that interrupted a home invasion robbery last year. In the article it makes a point of saying that the Officer was alone in his cruiser. Wuller was my Brother's partner and he was alone in his cruiser because my brother had taken leave to go to a car show at Carlisle with me. Wuller was named Officer of the year, honored all over the Country, got his choice of any assignment in the City, has received job offers, etc. My brother is all pissed off at me because he'd have been there if I hadn't talked him into going to Carlisle with me.

The point though is that he downed one guy, when a second attacker emerged from the kitchen, trying to kill him.

http://www.theiacp.org/awards/poloff/2006poyear.htm

Last edited by Grizzly; 03-16-2007 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:33 AM   #65

In addition to a .357 with hollowpoints, I also keep this in a small box within arm’s reach of my bed. My genuine curiosity of what would happen if I actually used this is a more powerful driving force than any fear I have of someone breaking in. The perspective of this photo doesn’t do it justice. This thing is mean, and I don’t think anyone has been trained to defend against it for about 300 years…

Old 03-16-2007, 10:40 AM   #66

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
In addition to a .357 with hollowpoints, I also keep this in a small box within arm’s reach of my bed. My genuine curiosity of what would happen if I actually used this is a more powerful driving force than any fear I have of someone breaking in. The perspective of this photo doesn’t do it justice. This thing is mean, and I don’t think anyone has been trained to defend against it for about 300 years…
Now all you need is a Japanese School Girl outfit and you will look like the assasin in Kill Bill II.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:44 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Now all you need is a Japanese School Girl outfit and you will look like the assasin in Kill Bill II.
that is a disturbing image (the one of me in a dress, not the girl from Kill Bill)

Old 03-16-2007, 10:57 AM   #68

Talking

We are a violent group, no?

And I am fine about it!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:05 AM   #69

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
that is a disturbing image (the one of me in a dress, not the girl from Kill Bill)
You mean like this.....

Brucelee: I think we are intouch with our realities.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:22 PM   #70

I don't know that CJ was entirely wrong... someone just forgot the "3"...?

The .223 cartridge may display movement. Of course no one would mistake a .22 for a .223 but that would be my guess.

http://encycl.opentopia.com/term/5.56_x_45_mm_NATO
Old 03-16-2007, 01:41 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos
I don't know that CJ was entirely wrong... someone just forgot the "3"...?

The .223 cartridge may display movement. Of course no one would mistake a .22 for a .223 but that would be my guess.

http://encycl.opentopia.com/term/5.56_x_45_mm_NATO
You are right about the .223 round, but I don't think CJ was talking about that one since he was referring to a pistol. Of course he does photoshop pictures to represent me in a dress, so who knows what he is thinking.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:49 PM   #72

I know that we are all having fun with this thread, the truth is the past 2 nights I still can not sleep, my girlie is still checking the windows and doors non stop and she doesn't want a gun in the house but I think I might. If so, do I keep it in a safe next to my head? Do I keep it locked up in another part of the house, handgun? shotgun? Remember I am not trained and have no military backround.
how about a bazooka
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:04 PM   #73

I'll give you my opinion for what it's worth:

First, let it settle a bit. The incident is still very fresh. You'll calm down and so will your significant other. Then you can make a rational decision as to whether you really want a gun or not.

Assuming you decide you do, and assuming you want it solely for home protection, I'd recommend a .357 revolver with a 4" barrel. A revolver is basically foolproof. It won't jam like an automatic; there is no safety to remember; it's just point and shoot. The .357 is more powerful than a .38, but not ridiculous. I recommended a 4" because it will be a little more accurate than a 2" and will emit less muzzle flash. Muzzle flash will ruin your night vision putting you at an extreme disadvantage.

It's been a long time since I've carried a revolver, but I used to carry 158 grain jacketed hollow point ammunition. The hollow point part is the important part. When you hit an attacker with a hollow point round, it flattens out and expands to transfer the maximum amount of energy. The expansion causes it to stay in the attacker's body, meaning it won't come out the back, across the street and wing the paperboy.

As far as where to keep it, I guess it depends on your circumstances. I've made a few enemies in my life, (I know you guys find that hard to believe) so I have a few safely stashed in strategic locations. The most important thing is that you keep it out of the hands of children. I think you said you don't have any, but give careful consideration to the ones who may visit you. Kids have gun radar. No matter where you hide it, they will find it. I had an acquaintance who's little girl got her hands on his service weapon. Unfortunately, a child's thumb is it's strongest finger. She needed to use her thumb to be able to pull the trigger. To do that she had to point the weapon at her face. Her death was absolutely unbearable, so please, keep that foremost in your mind. I'm not familiar with your laws, but in Maryland all handguns sold must be sold with a trigger-lock. Get yourself one and use it, but also become intimately familiar with its operation so you can get the damn thing off should you need to. A safe is a good option, but you have to be able to get the gun out expediently should you need it.

I, unfortunately, have a weapon with me at all times (messes up the sleek lines of my Speedo). At night, I have a holster mounted to the back of my headboard. Should I need the weapon, I know right where it is and I can deploy it quickly. Should anyone else try to get it, they'd have to reach over me to do it. I'm not saying that's the best option, it just works for me.

The last thing is practice. If you buy a gun, practice with it often. Identify a range and become a regular. Find a good instructor and work with him/her. Shooting is very basic, but you need regular practice to become, and remain, proficient. Remember to practice retrieving your gun and also rendering it safe. That's just as important as learning to shoot it.

Last edited by Grizzly; 03-16-2007 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:13 AM   #74

Good advice Griz. I am an avid shooter and keep about 5 guns in the house. Really, on saftey, you are right. If someone is going to look for a gun, they will probably find it. I keep all but one of my guns in a safe. The other is my home protection weapon that is next to the bed and loaded. I keep a Sig 229 with home protection ammo within reach. When we leave the home and know that it is possible for someone to come in, I use a locked trigger guard just to be safe.

If I had to recommend a gun for a home weapon only, I suppose a 12 gauge with some sort of bird round would be ok. This way, you can just point and click and not worry about sending bullets through your next door neighbors living room. Of course a revolver is dependable and easy to operate. I also keep a small mag-lite with the handgun so that I can see what I am aiming at in the dark!

Scary thought that I live in a super low crime area and still worry about someone breaking in. My wifes parents in Upstate NY dont even lock their doors at night...
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 05:39 AM   #75

Smile

Great advice Grizz, thanks for all your time on this one!

Personally, I would go with the sawed off due to my laziness and because I might panic and all. I THINK I could hold the trigger and pump the gun, pointing it in the general direction of the perp.

After 8 rounds, I think I might actually have hit him/her/them.

Who knows?

Old 03-18-2007, 05:49 PM   #76

Grizz.. I love annapolis.. My sister lives there. I was there maybe 3 weeks back. As for practice, I would love it.. I have many friends that go to the range on a regular basis. I too live in a really low crime rate area. But still have this ish going on.. Thanks for the 70 something replies.. It gave us alot to think about. On a lighter note.. I want the imagine auto Super Charger
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:05 PM   #77

JAAY,

Next time you're down this way, give me a heads up. OhioBoxster is here this weekend. We were supposed to hook up for lunch today, but I got called in to work for an emergency that never materialized. I sat around the command post all day reading the 986forum.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:43 AM   #78

Just finished reviewing the entire thread. Amazingly civil postings. Struck me that we are more alike than I suspected. If there are anti-gun people out there they are polite. Saw no flames. But a lot of good advice.

Also surprised with the long, interesting life of the thread.

Second thought was to reiterate an important principle: If you are not 100 % willing to use a gun, don't make one available to an intruder.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:02 AM   #79

70 Sixter, the anti-gun movement was more vocal the last time we had a running shoot-out over handguns:

Do you ever feel vulnerable with the top down?

The discussion got pretty heated and we were fortunate that no one was shot over the second amendment !

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:41 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Sixter
Just finished reviewing the entire thread. Amazingly civil postings. Struck me that we are more alike than I suspected. If there are anti-gun people out there they are polite. Saw no flames. But a lot of good advice.

Also surprised with the long, interesting life of the thread.

Second thought was to reiterate an important principle: If you are not 100 % willing to use a gun, don't make one available to an intruder.

So true on the your last point. If you aren't going to use that gun, don't get it!