Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2007, 04:51 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton
Thanks for the responses. The reason I ask, is that I was thinking about trading in my 05 for a new 07. My initial hope was to pay approximately a $16K differential between the new car and the trade-in. The MSRP on the new one is $63K and my car is in perfect condition with only 5K miles on it.

I thought I would have a chance to get about a $58K purchase price and $42K trade-in value. Didn't work out that way.

I talked to four dealers and the best case scenario is a $21K difference . Seems pretty unreasonable to me ($62 purchase, $41 trade). I have the option to sell the car, then purchase, but I'm not excited about paying a bunch of sales tax.

Anyhow, I decided to keep the car I have and buy new wheels :dance:

drburton, what's the reason for the switch? Even if you get the $16k differential, are the extra 15hp really worth that much to you? Just trying to understand.

Z.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:46 PM   #22

Wow, based on some of the responses here it looks like my request is not all that unrealistic. Nice work with the negotiations. Generally, most of the dealers I have talked to so far aren't willing to negotiate at all. I think this is partly because of timing, this seems to be the hot season for them to sell convertibles, so less room for negotiation.

Regarding reason for the switch, I purchased the 2005 slightly used (300 miles on it) and b/c of that I didn't really get exactly what I wanted. I'm interested in different color and options. My wife actually started this search b/c she is obsessed with getting a white one. I really would like the 19" wheels, sports steering wheel, some aluminum accents, different color interior etc..

As you can probably tell, I am not completely determined to get a 2007, but thought it would be worth shopping around and seeing if I could get a good price. I also got a very good price on the 2005, so I wouldn't be losing much on the trade-in.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Wow, based on some of the responses here it looks like my request is not all that unrealistic. Nice work with the negotiations. Generally, most of the dealers I have talked to so far aren't willing to negotiate at all. I think this is partly because of timing, this seems to be the hot season for them to sell convertibles, so less room for negotiation.

Regarding reason for the switch, I purchased the 2005 slightly used (300 miles on it) and b/c of that I didn't really get exactly what I wanted. I'm interested in different color and options. My wife actually started this search b/c she is obsessed with getting a white one. I really would like the 19" wheels, sports steering wheel, some aluminum accents, different color interior etc..

As you can probably tell, I am not completely determined to get a 2007, but thought it would be worth shopping around and seeing if I could get a good price. I also got a very good price on the 2005, so I wouldn't be losing much on the trade-in.
Yes non Dr Burton!!!! Go White!!!!!! It must be the time of the season....I got mine for 11K off the MSRP......I probably could have got a little more off but I just got tired with the going back and forth and really needed a car at the time....

It was the first car I ever bought, I would have got ripped off if it wasn't for eBay. The day I was going to sign the paperrwork I pulled up eBay and I really don't know what made me check it to this day...I saw some boxsters that were starting at 39 and some bare bones at 38....I went to the dealer and said, my wife says I have to fly to North Carolina if I want the boxster and the price amazingly started coming down.....

in fact this one on ebay seems to be a great deal considering its a tip....I don't know prices on the S model but this seems good....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-Boxster-S-Tiptronic-with-Navigation-New_W0QQitemZ220091965639QQcategoryZ6015QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:19 AM   #24

I picked up my '06 Boxster in January. it stickered for $53k, and I drove it off the lot for $42K. It definately helped that it was one of the last 06's, and the day I was in there talking with them, it was about 17 degrees outside. I don't think anyone had been in there looking for Boxsters for quite some time. I'd have to say that it is all about timing when it comes to getting a good deal. I've also heard that it helps to look at dealerships that aren't in major cities. Expand your dealership search to maybe 200 miles away. If these dealers don't get a lot of people through, they may be more desperate to get rid of a car for a discounted price. Just my $.02
Jonesy08054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:59 AM   #25

Quote:

For what it's worth, I think your current color combo is beautiful and quite unique.
Z.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:08 PM   #26

I'm done looking!! Talked to a couple more dealers and I'm not getting any movement on price. I think this is entirely related to timing, seems like they are selling Boxsters at MSRP right now b/c of seasonality and demand.

Soooo..... I will be keeping my Box and doing the upgrades. My first round of upgrades includes:

- New LLoyd Matts
- 19" Carrera Classic Wheels
- Airbag deactivation kit

Other considerations...
- Front air splitter
- New exhaust

Thanks to those who responded with information regarding pricing.

05 Touareg V8
Black
Old 03-15-2007, 12:22 PM   #27

This is a very interesting thread because I am currently searching for an new 06 Cayenne and there do appear to be quite a few left on the lots and the 08's are here. So 15k off MSRP is doable for a Cayenne, eh? I can't imagine they would sell them for near 40k, new.

Interesting, very interesting.....
Evo Intake
Partial Carbon Interior
Black Leather Sport seats
M030 Sway Bars
Litronics w/ Clear Corners
Boxster S brakes
B&M Short Shifter
PnP rear Speakers + Amp
pecivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:59 PM   #28

2008's are on the lots already? That's odd. I would have thought they would have waited until September.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:15 PM   #29

The Cayennes are a different case. Because of the refresh that just happened, there aren't any '07' Cayennes to be had (Porsche did an 06 Titanium edition in-lieu-of). The 06s are selling under a similar dynamic as the 986 when the 987 first came out i.e. steeply discounted.

New 06 987S can be had for substantial discounts from dealer inventories, but I don't imagine the 3.2 is what Drburton is looking for.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky

Last edited by SD987; 03-15-2007 at 01:18 PM.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:25 PM   #30
bmussatti

We told everyone, more than 1 year ago, that a white Boxster was going to be all the rage!
Old 03-15-2007, 06:13 PM   #31

It seems the dealers are overstocked with Caymans this year and not Boxsters. I've seen '06 Cayman Ss advertised at 17%+ under MSRP. I recall seeing something a while ago which said Porsche was cutting back on Boxster production.
longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 07:12 PM   #32

I could probably find a reasonable price on a 05 or 06, but I really wanted to order to my specifications and also might as well get the extra 15hp.

The explanation I heard from more than one dealer is as follows: They only can order a limited number of vehicles from Porsche and since they are getting customers paying MSRP, they aren't willing to give up one of their slots at a deep discount. Not sure if this is true or not.

...I have already moved on to the excitement of new wheels so no big loss. Maybe in two years I'll get a white 911 Carrera S, then I'll get the car I really want and my wife will get her color

05 Touareg V8
Black
Old 03-15-2007, 07:15 PM   #33
bmussatti

The dealers do have limited allocations. So the statement seems reasonable.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:13 AM   #34

bmuss,

Since you pretty much have the car I was going to order maybe we could just trade cars and I would pay you a premium

05 Touareg V8
Black
Old 03-16-2007, 05:18 AM   #35
bmussatti

Do you mean this one:
Old 03-16-2007, 05:22 AM   #36

Umm no. You know you always really wanted silver and blue, what a great combo. White is so out.

05 Touareg V8
Black